Author Topic: Lancashire Cotton Famine  (Read 3360 times)

Christopher

Lancashire Cotton Famine
« on: 11:47:05, 26/10/06 »
Manchester's growth is closely linked with the cotton industry which relied heavily on colonialism and slavery as well as exploitation of the workers (men, women and children) by the mill owners. In 1851 the population was 303,382, during the next forty years it rose to over half a million by 1891 (563,368) although the American Civil War in the early 1860s caused a  Lancashire Cotton Famine.  Manchester's population, at the peak of the cotton industry in 1921, stood at 730,307. The industry declined after World War II and now many of the old mills and warehouses in the area are used for a variety of other purposes.

There's a website which gives details of  old occupations.  One of these is "Manchester warehouseman" which is the name given to someone who worked in a cotton warehouse during the period when Manchester was the centre of the cotton industry.
« Last Edit: 21:47:36, 02/06/12 by Chris »

peterw

Re: Lancashire Cotton Famine
« Reply #1 on: 02:06:06, 28/10/06 »
Once again, you’re telling us something we already know  and it’s getting a tad frustrating. I think I’d hate being on a long flight with you!
Funny things happen to me on my way to the Forum

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: 06:08:09, 28/10/06 »
No. I may be telling you things you know but there are other people reading these threads who do not know as much as you do.

Now there was a Lancashire man called Cyril Lord. He learned his trade in one of the mills in Manchester and then came over to Northern Ireland. In 1957, three years after he'd made his first million he opened the largest carpet factory in Europe close to the seaside town of Donaghadee in Co. Down. He built a couple of houses ... one for himself and his wife, the other for guests. These houses were on the Warren Road, Donaghadee looking out at the Copeland Islands (that's where the Princess Victoria disaster took place in January 1953).

Cyril Lord owned a helicopters and a speedboat called "Sea Lord", the Old Inn at Crawfordsburn in Co. Down, Thompsons Restaurant in Belfast and the Pig & Chicken at Templepatrick in Co. Antrim. The employees at his Donaghadee factory worked around the clock. Another of his business interests, which did not take off, was a car which was to be produced by Short and Harlands of Belfast. Lord's carpet making business collapsed about 1967. Selling direct to the public with at least 150 retail outlets in Britain did not help. The debts ran into millions.

Tuesday

« Reply #3 on: 15:39:12, 28/10/06 »
Ref: Cyril Lord Carpets.
The first carpet we ever bought was by Cyril Lord and it must have been after things 'had gone wrong' ::)! It was a great price :) and that carpet endured several moves and a flood! It still looked as good as new. Only trouble was...it was red and showed every mark. :( It really needed to be vacuumed every hour on the hour!! :-\ Fantastic value though at a time when we really needed a bargain. ;) Nice One Cyril ;D
"I'll think about it tomorrow", Scarlett O'Hara (Gone with the Wind.)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 22:41:04, 31/10/06 »
 :D :D :D :D :D
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing