Author Topic: Prestwich,,, heys road boys school & hope park girls school  (Read 20609 times)

jim burr

I would like to say happy times but I would be a lie  .I was 15 Xmas and left at  Easter Never looked back never missed it..but I remember you and your younger brother  .you still in the area

gebsrus

Sorry Jim, I've been  a little busy, just got your post.[/size]

I'm very much with you as far as the school is concerned, I was glad to get out of it. I left at Easter too, at the tender age of 15 and like I said, I've never seen or spoke to anyone from there until you came along...

My brother and I live in Rochdale now, although I'm soon to be moving to Wales with my wife and daughter. I have a son too, but he's staying put with his girlfriend.

How on earth you remember all those names, especially the fact that I have a younger brother, is beyond me!!

I'm glad you did though, I've done nothing but discuss old times with the wife (what I can remember of them that is!!!)

Just one thing I'd like to ask, would you happen to know how Steve Bowker died in the 70s?

jim burr

Stev Bowker died of  drug overdose I think ,  Do you remember Dave Fletcher joint or class in the  2nd year was sent down 2A2  he  died with drug related problems,  this was in the mid 70s,, Reg Evans still has a garage doing car repairs on Bury old road. Dave [nigel] Pomfret  lived in Bury but I lost contact a couple of years back. Do you remember Percy Proctor  our  2nd and3rd year form master  and how i set my desk on fire ,and Paul Sewel setting small fires in the art room. The times you and I skived off sports and made to spent the time cleaning the staff room tea trolley and liberating the large butt for resmoking.. I got so good at it the last year I did no gym at all. .Jack Godbert and facing east for a slippering  and how we all took such glee in offering our gym shoes for the job .Poor  Chadwick and David Sutherland how badly they were bullied by a few  persons whom will not be  named . Hot Dog Yeats the tech drawing teacher at the back of  the 1st year playground. Mr Susman the maths teacher, The Mighty Quin music teacher.Mr Smith who took us for gardening what a waste of time that was I could hardly read and write at 15 but they would teach me how to dig a bloody allotment  I always remember you were a bright lad but a tearaway they just could not hold your interest.That was not an education it was just a way to keep us off the streets till we got jobs .

gebsrus

Hahaha! I dug a few holes myself Jim, but for different reasons!

I do remember most of what you've said,  but I think there's a teacher you missed out? (there's nothing wrong with your memory though!)
Do you remember "Fanny Redfern?" She had one of the classrooms at the back of the school (I think?) You'll have to let me know if I'm correct....I'm sure she used to love bending us over her desk for 3 of the best!!

jim burr

I have some memory of Mrs Redfern in our last year . Mrs Proctor was the one to get my mate Brian Philan going, but the less said about that the better [if you remember the incident] .Strange but those day are quite clear, but I can,nt remember what I had for breakfast this morning I look at those young faces they were different people ,but back then we did have a future ,now it,s a whole different ball game for the school leavers . 

chrisk45

Just found site during researching Family tree for my children and grandchildren...what memories it has brought back!

I attended Heys Rd Secondary Modern school between 1956 and 1958, before going to Radcliffe Secondary Technical School 1958 to 1960, having passed the 13+ exam. Unfortunately unable to find any photos.

My memories of Heys Rd are a little vague, but remember being given the task of recording the 'Daily Rainfall & Wind Speed  and direction' from the 'Meteorological box' in the central quadrangle.

Also remember Mr Webb (form teacher) who had a gammy leg, supposedly due to having put a garden fork through his foot, as a young man, and being rather strict, (his punishment being a slipper across the hand, painful - but probably deserved), and Mr Hughes (Head Master), Derek Bracewell (Deputy Head), Desmond Brabason Cowan (English teacher), who was an 'Uncle' though not related, of mine, and Mr Storer.

My brother David also attended between 1954 and 1958.

My memories of friends is even more blurry, but remember Robert Atkins (my year) and Paul Holdsworth my brothers year, so if anyone can identify with these let me know.

Chris Kennedy (was Carey in those days)

Fletch1

I left summer 67.any one remember jimmy eggand pat Procoter her maiden name Pat Conroy. I enjoyed most of my time except for Mrs Redford what a witch
and Godbert

gebsrus

Hi Fletch,
I have a photo of my class in 1963 if you'd like a copy?
Just send me your email address and I'll forward a copy to you 😊
Cheers,
Paul 👍

Fletch1

Hi Fletch,
I have a photo of my class in 1963 if you'd like a copy?
Just send me your email address and I'll forward a copy to you 😊
Cheers,
Paul 👍
hi Paul , I've seen the picture but don't remember anyone's name or yours . I was in his class that year as I remember getting hit by him for shouting at him out of school with a couple of kids. Fletch👍

Fletch1

Hi Paul, if you can send me the picture that would be great can't remember many lads from heys besidesBilly Wright and Les Howarthwho I went to primary school with.
Fletch

john cribb

Hi Guys

I was at the school from 63 to 69.

My mates were Robert Bushell, Phillip Markham, David Hinchcliffe, Paul Spenser.

I was in Fannys class during the 4/5th year.

Other teachers, Hughes(head), Glover (Scottish history), Kinsey (maths), Cowie(biology), Robert (French), Davis(RE).

Moved around a fair bit, Prestwich to Lytham St Annes, to Preston to Milton Keynes, now retired

hop this helps

John

Hiandy61

Hello,

My mother Maureen Davidson attended Hope Park in the late 40s to early 50s and went to the Festival of Britain in 1951. She is 84 now and doing well living in the States. I’d love to find old school records and perhaps some photos of her and her classmates. If anyone can help, please contact me.  Previously, she went to Park View Primary school and unfortunately, was sent away for 3 years to Delamere from about 1944 to 1947 before attending Hope Park.  Thank you!

Susan Joseph nee Dodd

Jim Burr. I was at Hope Park 1961-66 with Linda Bowker, Steve Bowkers older sister.
Linda died 1.11.1985 after suffering mental health problems for many years. We were close friends and I still miss her. Steve was living in St Anne’s road at that time but also suffered with mental health issues and I think died soon after. Very sad.
Our year was the first year that took GCE Examinations which opened a lot of doors. Remember some lovely teachers, Miss Culpan English, Mrs Woolfson History even Molly Standish who was a cynic but had a heart of gold, when you could find it!
I remember loads of the G stream class names and would love to meet up with any of them.

MartinJackson

Hi,
I kind of recognise names here?
I'm trying to locate my classmates from Heys Road class 1A1 1963 to 1968.
I have a google web site for this google- Heys Road 1963 1a1
Any help would be great.
Cheers, Martin

MartinJackson

Wow, I remember these names Jim Burr, Steve Bowker, Nigel Pomfret and the teachers Jack Godbert, Sussman, Hot Dog Yeats, The Mighty Quin music teacher.Mr Smith gardening, Mrs Redfern, Mrs Proctor. Were you the same year or the one above?

I was 1963 to 1969. I have a site for 1A1 with a couple of class pictures. I'd like to find more of the classmates and more pictures.But this forum wont allow external linksI'll try again https:!!sites.google.com!view!heys-road-1963-1a1