Author Topic: Hr.Openshaw memories  (Read 48029 times)

Georgyporgy

Hr.Openshaw memories
« on: 23:49:50, 14/07/10 »
I'm interested to hear any memories of Hr.Openshaw, Ashton Old Road /Ogden Lane area during the 80's. I remember the Concert, Halfway House, Forresters, Prince of Wales, Lord Raglan pubs, Greggs, Co-op, carpet shop,Model Railway shop, RBS Bank,Tile shop, Chinese chippy, DHSS Old Lane, Arthur's garage. Characters, Fat Marge, Johnny Rocko the eccentric who dressed as a gangster,Mrs.Brandrick, Fizz (pub kareoke singer), Mrs. Armstrong,postman Jim, old Irish Tom on Old Lane.   

0rac1e

Re: Hr.Openshaw memories
« Reply #1 on: 01:19:04, 18/08/10 »
I used to use the Forresters in the 50s when I went to Chick Hibbert's dance hall at week-ends. We were all Teddy-boys, then.  :)

maggi

« Reply #2 on: 13:17:08, 17/02/13 »
I was licensee of the Lord Raglan in the early 80s

maggi

« Reply #3 on: 13:17:56, 17/02/13 »
I remember Johnny Rocco!!!  Used to wear his pyjamas under his pin striped suit

Hovis St.

« Reply #4 on: 02:14:35, 18/02/13 »
I drank in all those pubs in late 50's, 60's early 70's except the Prince of Wales. I remember Johnny Rocco well, a nice lad just a bit eccentric ;)

Big Doris was the landlady in the Forresters, you didn't mess about with her.

I also used the Oddfellows, Stanley St. Club, the Crown, Gransmoor, AEU club, Commercial in Ogden Lane. Happy days, not many pubs left round there now.

Alec.

JillR

« Reply #5 on: 11:15:14, 18/02/13 »
I used to live on Ashton Old Road and spent my early life in Higher Openshaw. There were certainly a lot of pubs, although I was mostly too young to go in. The only one I remember is one near Audenshaw where the whole room went quiet when we went in...  :)

Hovis St.

« Reply #6 on: 00:47:51, 19/02/13 »
Don't keep us in suspense JillR. Why did the room go silent, were you in the nude.? ;D

Alec.

JillR

« Reply #7 on: 10:36:19, 19/02/13 »
 ;D  No, it was like those scenes in Westerns where the stranger walks into the bar and everything stops... A real warm welcome NOT. Actually, I've been trying to remember the name of the pub. There were two - the Grove and another one. I think this one was the other one. It isn't there now but was set back from the road (on the left going towards Ashton) after the Gransmoor. The "lounge" had net curtains and a coal fire. It was like walking into someone's living room  :)

Adsum

« Reply #8 on: 10:41:29, 19/02/13 »
The Crown?
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

JillR

« Reply #9 on: 13:03:41, 21/02/13 »
The Crown! Thanks, Adsum.

Hovis St.

« Reply #10 on: 23:07:58, 21/02/13 »
I drank in the Crown quite a lot years ago and yes, JillR it was a very small pub with only two rooms. On the left was the Vault which was strictly men only and to the right was the "best" room which, as you say, "was like walking into someone's living room". A few people liked to drink in the "lobby" as well.

Tony and Joyce Watts were the licensees when I used it in the 60's and early 70's, a lovely couple who sold a great pint of "Boddies". It could be a bit clicky if you weren't a local.

Alec.

JillR

« Reply #11 on: 20:13:48, 24/02/13 »
I was a local - in fact I lived almost directly opposite - but had never been in before. I went in with my then boyfriend who was definitely from foreign parts (Salford). What a funny place it was!

Hovis St.

« Reply #12 on: 00:56:16, 19/03/13 »
It is amazing the number of people who start threads and never reply to the comments made. >:(

Alec.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 08:05:12, 19/03/13 »
Maybe he's too busy eating pudding and pie
WAKEY WAKEY
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

pernod

« Reply #14 on: 02:10:56, 15/06/13 »
i used to frequent the grove and the crown in the 70s have a lot of memory's but now there nothing there!!! I don't live locally anymore but feel its a shame theres no  local spirit anymore, there used to be.