Author Topic: Hr.Openshaw memories  (Read 48026 times)

Gizmo

Re: Hr.Openshaw memories
« Reply #45 on: 22:45:44, 05/02/15 »
Hi just joined I used to live on Tunstall street and went to clayton brook primary school 1967 and weller street school  we moved to burnage I went to nicolas high school good times

maggi

« Reply #46 on: 07:45:40, 06/02/15 »
I lived there from 1980 - 1985

charlie,chas green

« Reply #47 on: 18:19:03, 15/05/15 »
my local was the flowerpot among others

Michael Rogers

Re: Hr.Openshaw memories Clayton Brook Primary School
« Reply #48 on: 21:43:28, 23/05/15 »
Hi just joined I used to live on Tunstall street and went to clayton brook primary school 1967 and weller street school  we moved to burnage I went to nicolas high school good times
I'm interested to hear any memories of Hr.Openshaw, Ashton Old Road /Ogden Lane area during the 80's. I remember the Concert, Halfway House, Forresters, Prince of Wales, Lord Raglan pubs, Greggs, Co-op, carpet shop,Model Railway shop, RBS Bank,Tile shop, Chinese chippy, DHSS Old Lane, Arthur's garage. Characters, Fat Marge, Johnny Rocko the eccentric who dressed as a gangster,Mrs.Brandrick, Fizz (pub kareoke singer), Mrs. Armstrong,postman Jim, old Irish Tom on Old Lane.

Michael Rogers

Pubs on Ashton old road Hr openshaw in 1965
« Reply #49 on: 21:59:26, 23/05/15 »

my local was the flowerpot among others

mike00

« Reply #50 on: 22:08:41, 21/09/15 »
memories of the Concert and Chick Hibberts - anyone still out there?

Hovis St.

« Reply #51 on: 23:40:15, 21/09/15 »
Hiya Mike, I drank in the Concert in the late 50's and 60's when Jimmy Cawley was the landlord. A good old pub, always packed, you couldn't move in the lobby at weekends with Stan Barton on the piano.
I also used Chicks when Sammy Ash and his band played there. I used it years after it closed when it became the Alhambra Sporting club as well.
 All the best........Alec.

DAVID GRIBBEN

« Reply #52 on: 14:13:49, 22/10/15 »
Hi, I went  to Chick Hibberts late fifties, drank in the Lord Ragland, and the Dog and Partridge Ogden Lane, Draught Cider in the Dog and Partridge.

stevethemanc

« Reply #53 on: 18:23:26, 29/11/16 »
I grew up in Bartlett street (The Drovers Pub) went to Elysian street then Wright Robbie, my uncle was the consec at stanley street club (Derek Shea)
Homesick.......

stevethemanc

« Reply #54 on: 18:25:47, 29/11/16 »
My uncle used to be consec at stanley street club
Homesick.......

juliejulie

« Reply #55 on: 20:17:53, 05/06/19 »

Just happened across this website and I grew up in openshaw during the 70s and 80s. I went to Clayton brook and walked home for lunch getting a meat pie and chips from Pats chippy on Harley street. Used to play on Wheeler st fields and go to Brownies and Guides at the Moravian church on Wheeler st. I remember the strike at Lawrence Scotts works on Louisa st and Granada TV showing up, every one was sat outside in deckchairs. Also seem to remember a murder happening on Eastern By Pass / did somebody get assaulted with a dumbell? Later went to Wright Robbie and had Mrs Whitworth for form teacher in 1979. We used to go to a Friday night disco at St Annes as young teens. Didn't drink around there much as an adult but was taken to The Wrexham and Oddfellows by my parents and going to see the Circus courtesy of  the 'Oddies'.

stevethemanc

« Reply #56 on: 00:11:47, 06/06/19 »
Does anybody know Derek Shea from the Stanley Street Club?
Homesick.......

juliejulie

« Reply #57 on: 21:38:30, 06/06/19 »
Does anybody know Derek Shea from the Stanley Street Club?
HI Steve, my dad Eddie leighton said he knew Derek shay and as kids we went to the circus courtesy of Stanley street,not the Odd fellows as I suggested.

stevethemanc

« Reply #58 on: 23:53:42, 06/06/19 »
Remember that and going to the beach (cant remember where) with the club, and the little brown wage packets with 5 bob inside as spends, given out on the coach. again courtesy of the club. Unbelievable these days.
Homesick.......

stevethemanc

« Reply #59 on: 23:57:09, 06/06/19 »
Went on one of them with the Gorton Loco club, on the old road. They give you the spends before you got on the coach. Happy Days Aye?
Homesick.......