Author Topic: Hr.Openshaw memories  (Read 48027 times)

pfarrar

Re: Hr.Openshaw memories
« Reply #15 on: 12:18:20, 22/06/13 »
I'm interested to hear any memories of Hr.Openshaw, Ashton Old Road /Ogden Lane area during the 80's. I remember the Concert, Halfway House, Forresters, Prince of Wales, Lord Raglan pubs, Greggs, Co-op, carpet shop,Model Railway shop, RBS Bank,Tile shop, Chinese chippy, DHSS Old Lane, Arthur's garage. Characters, Fat Marge, Johnny Rocko the eccentric who dressed as a gangster,Mrs.Brandrick, Fizz (pub kareoke singer), Mrs. Armstrong,postman Jim, old Irish Tom on Old Lane.
i used to live at 6 Ezard street, loved it, off Buckley street facing a factory, i have so many memories, i went to Clayton brook junior school and then Wheler street, and then Wright Robinson, then we moved to burnage, i'm so sad i can find no trace of ezard steet, not on maps or pictures found the salvation army where i went every sunday morn and brownies but on all the sites I've  been on never a mention of Ezard street, does any one remember it, i used to walk to school in the smog in winter down buckley street and pinched malt bread from the factory on the left what a treat on a cold morning well i could go on but i would love to hear from you to see if you know anything about any photos that might be out there xx

pfarrar

« Reply #16 on: 12:23:00, 22/06/13 »
sorry forgot to say i was 11 when i left s I'm 59 now so it will be people of that era that may be able to help i remember the booth family and the Dixon's Mrs kerns the big walker family of beautiful red heads hope this rings a bell with someone.

Adsum

« Reply #17 on: 12:27:13, 22/06/13 »
Ask and You shall receive. (Sometimes)  ;)

We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 12:32:54, 22/06/13 »
Don't see many houses like that these days, I wonder if anyone ever stepped out of  their front door and bumped into someone :-\
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

pfarrar

« Reply #19 on: 12:40:28, 22/06/13 »
Don't see many houses like that these days, I wonder if anyone ever stepped out of  their front door and bumped into someone :-\
oh my god, thank you so much, i have been very ill but getting better now and have been dreaming about the old days i just could'nt get Ezard street out of my head o just needed to see it ill be so excited to show my kids and grankids as i did take them but its all gone big ugly morrisons now thank you so much x

Adsum

« Reply #20 on: 12:40:47, 22/06/13 »

Back in those days every body knew their neighbours, they all looked out for each other in times of crisis. Hardly anybody locked their doors, and everybody donkey stoned their steps regularly. Otherwise they would have been the talk of the wash house.  :)

pfarrar

« Reply #21 on: 12:42:15, 22/06/13 »
Ask and You shall receive. (Sometimes)  ;)
sorry put the big thanks on the wrong page new to this but a very big thank you xx

Adsum

« Reply #22 on: 12:44:29, 22/06/13 »
You are welcome. I was only too happy to help.  I hope that you are fully recovered from your illness.

If you click on the link below you should be able to look at photo's of most streets in Manchester by typing in the name of the street.

Good luck.   :)

Manchester Local Image Collection

pfarrar

« Reply #23 on: 12:47:04, 22/06/13 »

Back in those days every body knew their neighbours, they all looked out for each other in times of crisis. Hardly anybody locked their doors, and everybody donkey stoned their steps regularly. Otherwise they would have been the talk of the wash house.  :)
oh so true we got it off the rag and bone man and i had to do the back yard and loo our step at the front was worn so much that when i went back once before the had done the building work i found just the step i wish id have taken it would just love to touch it so many good memories of mum say watching us play skip and games in the street x

JillR

« Reply #24 on: 14:40:16, 22/06/13 »
I remember Ezard Street very well. I knew Denise Williamson (?) who lived there, also the Beswicks (Lilian, Billy and Kenny went to Mersey Street Baptist Sunday School) and another family whose name I can't remember (they seemed to be all girls) who later moved to Trevor Street near where I lived. That whole area has gone now, and I for one can't be sorry about that!

Manchester Man

« Reply #25 on: 22:22:58, 22/06/13 »
You are welcome. I was only too happy to help.  I hope that you are fully recovered from your illness.

If you click on the link below you should be able to look at photo's of most streets in Manchester by typing in the name of the street.

Good luck.   :)

Many thanks for that link Adsum.

I found loads of pics of Hulme Hall Lane, where I grew up. Interestingly it contained pics of West's Gas and their canteen which was discussed in an earlier thread.

Quite a number of the pics were from 1962 which was my era.

ATB
Ray.

Manchester Local Image Collection
Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

LSmith

« Reply #26 on: 10:23:33, 24/09/13 »
Message to pfarrar.
Hello..........  I lived at number 12 Ezard Street when you were at number 6.  I remember you and your sisters.  I played with all of you when we lived there and I had such a happy childhood there.  I remember Mrs Kerns, Christine Taylor, the Walkers, the Browns (Buckly Street and Cecil Road), the Royals (Fairfield Road then Ashton Old Road).  If you want to email me privately then just let me know.  I do have a few old photos................. x

Whippet

« Reply #27 on: 14:19:35, 14/01/14 »
Ezard Street remembered,sure I do remember it,I lived on A-O-R  until I left in 1973. I remember the men sat on the floor eating chips from Ferguson Palin,later A E I/G E C Switchgear. My cousin worked there as a progress chaser and then at Robertsons Jam Works. I went to Clayton Brook then Wheler Secondary 1963-65, then The High School of Art at Cheetham till 1968. I remember Alfred Simpson and B&S Massey. Booths butchers, mum went in there,I went to school with the son,Mum also went in Phillips, on the corner of Buckley Street. Does anyone remember Bada's, corner of Rock Street Buckley Street my dad liked the bacon ribs. Lynsey & Williams the barrell yard, The Belsize garage on Harp Street.  What about Bairds biscuits in tins and Healys Newsagents. I rmember the Royals on Fairfield Road and Eltons tv shop. I think Ezard Street was cleared after we left but I saw the clearance of most of this area. My dad was born in Old Lane but mum in Ditton,near Widnes, he opened his shop in 1946, I still have the poster dawn by Walter Nichollson who also did the signs for the Regal cinema. He had an art studio at the back of Belsize on Old Lane. He emigrated to Chicago. . . . .
More to folow..Mum walked miles for a nice loaf.

Whippet

« Reply #28 on: 11:49:13, 17/01/14 »
 ;D Hovis Street, lol I worked near Hovis Street ,was there a Turog Street or Mothers Pride Street. There was a Hovis Man, lol. He was on tv once. Funny I saw a ginger whippet once.

Jim44

« Reply #29 on: 21:29:45, 17/01/14 »
[quote author=Adsum

Makes you wonder where peoples self respect has gone! :(