Author Topic: Hr.Openshaw memories  (Read 48028 times)

Manchester Man

Re: Hr.Openshaw memories
« Reply #30 on: 22:33:06, 17/01/14 »
In those day's very few had anything worth pinching.

You could leave your door open with impunity. The morals of those day's were also superior. There was also little or no drug problem which today results in most of the "stealing" crimes. Where did we go wrong ?

ATB
Ray.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: 22:56:34, 17/01/14 »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

julie booth

« Reply #32 on: 21:52:00, 27/08/14 »
Ask and You shall receive. (Sometimes)  ;)
.       Hi I used to live at 38 ezard st my name is Julie booth those were the best days of my life

maggi

« Reply #33 on: 09:17:44, 28/08/14 »
I had a pub in Higher Openshaw in the 80s,
a great bunch of people,
enjoyed every minute

LSmith

« Reply #34 on: 20:20:14, 07/10/14 »
Julie Booth - me and your sister Wendy were good friends in Ezard Street, and at Clayton Brook school where we used to do gymnastic displays in front of the school.  Say hello to her for me.  And I remember Karen and Ian, and yourself. 

Whippet

« Reply #35 on: 10:29:22, 02/11/14 »
Bike shop memories.
Hi everryone, sorry have been in hospital 8 weeks so no letters done. Set me thinking Openshaw didnt have many bike shops, I remeber the Star shop thoughon AOR, opposite The Fountain Inn. There was one that used to have those celluloid mudguards in the window near Tamworth  Street, Dad would have gone in there, I think it closed about 1964. I was a keen cyclist and used to buy from Cowans on Hyde Rd, Cliff Robson on Barlow Moor Rd,  sometimes Duckworths at Hyde, but I went in them all as I was a frame addict. My first bike was a 21'' Sun second hand which I quickly converted to10 gears. I then bought a JRJ frame followed by a Mercian Superlight which was £24. I still have my old Claud Butler built in 1971 and a Bob Jackson time trial frame. Mostly all Campag, amazing they are so expensive now.When I wanted the best I went to Hary Halls on Cathederal Street. I remember they gave me a free Mafac tool kit as I bought a Brooks B17bdressed saddle, it was a fabulous saddle, very comfortable. Now its all on internet so the bike shops in the suburbs such as Openshaw are gone. Nice to hear if you remember any of the old shops, Jim Harrison, Johnny Berry, etc.
Whippet. See ya

Whippet

« Reply #36 on: 11:22:33, 03/11/14 »
I met a lad I must have grown up with while I was in hospital. We were born 1951, we got on right away. I lived on Ashton Old Rd, he Edge Lane,Droylsden, so we were almost born at the same time. Sad he never knew my old school mates, he remembered the bakery on canal bridge, they made cheesecake for Andres Deli in the 60s, but he worked at a  farm in Droylsden, it must have been near Manor Rd. Strange, but was really great reminicing about the area. He was  very impressed with my Yogi Bear impresssions, lol.
Whippet.3.11.2014.

Chrismick1

« Reply #37 on: 23:53:49, 26/12/14 »
I'm interested to hear any memories of Hr.Openshaw, Ashton Old Road /Ogden Lane area during the 80's. I remember the Concert, Halfway House, Forresters, Prince of Wales, Lord Raglan pubs, Greggs, Co-op, carpet shop,Model Railway shop, RBS Bank,Tile shop, Chinese chippy, DHSS Old Lane, Arthur's garage. Characters, Fat Marge, Johnny Rocko the eccentric who dressed as a gangster,Mrs.Brandrick, Fizz (pub kareoke singer), Mrs. Armstrong,postman Jim, old Irish Tom on Old Lane.
I've got to find out who is 'Gulliva' haha going apple picking and giving him apples, he had a long black beard and ripped clothes. and and does anyone remember 'mick the miser'? So many funny memories, I used to live on Richardson street and we had nellys corner shop and gave us a tick until we go paid, across the road was a butchers, paper shop, tony the Greeks barber shop, and a bookies. Good times.

Chrismick1

« Reply #38 on: 16:15:48, 27/12/14 »
I've got to find out who is 'Gulliva' haha going apple picking and giving him apples, he had a long black beard and ripped clothes. and and does anyone remember 'mick the miser'? So many funny memories, I used to live on Richardson street and we had nellys corner shop and gave us a tick until we go paid, across the road was a butchers, paper shop, tony the Greeks barber shop, and a bookies. Good times.

Adsum

« Reply #39 on: 13:43:52, 28/12/14 »
Here's a photo of Gulliver. I believe he lived with his parents off Folkestone road in Clayton until he had some kind of breakdown. I'm not certain but I believe he was killed by some local thugs who set him on fire. There is more information about him on another Manchester site, from people who grew up near him and knew him.

We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Chrismick1

« Reply #40 on: 13:55:45, 28/12/14 »
Here's a photo of Gulliver. I believe he lived with his parents off Folkestone road in Clayton until he had some kind of breakdown. I'm not certain but I believe he was killed by some local thugs who set him on fire. There is more information about him on another Manchester site, from people who grew up near him and knew him.

That's so sad to hear, couldn't find anything about him anywhere and just wondered what happened to him, thanks for the reply.

johnjamesJJ

« Reply #41 on: 23:05:29, 03/01/15 »
Wow, stumbled across this! I remember Openshaw well, late 80’s into the 90ts and to present date, used to pub crawl Ashton old road (And then back to chickabits) Concert was a good boozer with good people, never any chalk for the pool though, so we used to use the wall :-) bit of plaster works well :-) ….Halfway house! Weekends were something to remember, disco each night and a good meeting point! Forresters..hmmm when I boozed in there think it was Dennis who was the landlord? Wife was Francis?? Cant quite recall, small chap and friendly, looked after ya!, I had many a win on his fruit machine   Prince of wales! I know for sure, one of my regs, Pat and Mary had it when I drank here, many lock in’s shhhhhh :-) Lord Raglan was another haunt of mine! I remember a lot of the other places named too, along with the people I met! Johnny Rocko, rolled up notes on his bog roll lol but always a gent, and Bazil brush (bum bum) the old gent who frequented many a pub in and around the area always up for a good game of pool, sometimes played with his walking stick lol , including the old house at home, my main haunt! Loved those day, met many an interesting person in and around openshaw / Droylsden / Clayton, a few name drops, Pat Heaney and sons, Steve Brown, Jack Warburton, Darren Williams, Craig and Glenn, plus way too many more to mention! Good memories with good people… x ps, think I drank in every boozer in and around those areas :-)
« Last Edit: 23:23:54, 03/01/15 by johnjamesJJ »

Chrismick1

« Reply #42 on: 23:16:18, 03/01/15 »
Wow, stumbled across this! I remember Openshaw well, late 80’s into the 90ts and to present date, used to pub crawl Ashton old road (And then back to chickabits) Concert was a good boozer with good people, never any chalk for the pool though, so we used to use the wall :-) bit of plaster works well :-) ….Halfway house! Weekends were something to remember, disco each night and a good meeting point! Forresters..hmmm when I boozed in there think it was Dan who was the landlord? Cant quite recall, small chap and friendly, looked after ya!, I had many a win on his fruit machine   Prince of wales! I know for sure, one of my regs, Pat and Mary had it when I drank here, many lock in’s shhhhhh :-) Lord Raglan was another haunt of mine! I remember a lot of the other places named too, along with the people I met! Johnny Rocko, rolled up notes on his bog roll lol, and Bazil brush (bum bum) the old gent who frequented many a pub in and around the area, including the old house at home, my main haunt! Loved those day, met many an interesting person in and around openshaw / Droylsden / Clayton, a few name drops, Pat Heaney and sons, Steve Brown, Jack Warburton, Darren Williams, Craig and Glenn, plus way too many more to mention! Good memories with good people… x

I know jack warburton still drink in The Lord raglan from about 10am till 3pm, always seems to banging his head hah still wobbling around

johnjamesJJ

« Reply #43 on: 13:58:33, 04/01/15 »
Must be over 20 years ago since I last saw Jack! and Openshaw has changed so much since then!

maggi

« Reply #44 on: 19:50:07, 26/01/15 »
I was licensee of Raglan many moons ago