Author Topic: St Josephs technical high Longsight  (Read 96813 times)

maggi

Re: St Josephs technical high Longsight
« Reply #45 on: 08:15:50, 10/10/14 »
Spooky..................
I think you are too young??

maggi

« Reply #46 on: 08:29:02, 10/10/14 »
what years were you there?

MG

« Reply #47 on: 08:36:39, 10/10/14 »
I went  to St Joseph's in 1966. We were from Chorlton on Medlock / Moss Side originally then we moved to Longsight. I was the only Kilduff at school but later we met Kilduffs from Heywood. I would love to know who the Kilduff was who you knew. I remember some older girls....Ruth Hardman....Julie ? her friend and Ann Proudfoot. We were in St Robert's parish in Longsight but before that we went to the Holy Name. My dad went to St Edward's social club every week and some of our (extended) family lived in Rusholme. I would live to see school photos. I have none! Incredible to think that we did not take photos then like we do now.

B54

« Reply #48 on: 12:14:33, 10/10/14 »
Hi MG.  I cannot remember the form that I was in to be honest.  I was in Victory House.  I remember a girl called Philomena ?? Do you think we were there at the same time?  Do you remember Patricia Phelan?  My surname is Thornley

maggi

« Reply #49 on: 12:51:38, 10/10/14 »
Hi MG

It was Kevin Kilduff who married Marian, they lived in Marple for a time, in the 70s,
he drove a big american car

Gosh coincidences, I lived in C-0n-M.
On Lloyd St.  I went to the Holy Name until 1960 ish
then I went to St Edwards & St Kentigerns,
because I moved to Rusholme!!!
Amazing

come on more.................

maggi

« Reply #50 on: 12:52:32, 10/10/14 »
Hi again MG

I remember a Pete Murphy lived near St Roberts

MG

« Reply #51 on: 22:47:39, 11/10/14 »
Hi B54, I do remember a Patricia Phelan and a Maria Thornley? I was in Truth house. Maggi I remember there was a family called Towie / Toweys on Lloyd Street. It is great to meet someone who lived in C-On-M.
I will try to remember other families who were at the Holy Name. Xx :smitten:

maggi

« Reply #52 on: 08:01:36, 12/10/14 »
Hi MG

I remember the Towies, all had ginger hair?
One was called Roland I think, in my class

The Devaneys lived on Llyod St too,

Did you go to the Holy Name on Burlington St?
Where did you live?

MG

« Reply #53 on: 08:12:52, 12/10/14 »
Yes I went to the Holy Name  on Burlington Street. I lived on Cecil Street so I had to walk down Lloyd Street on the way to school. I remember Una Mannion, Bridget Brady and Dolores Maugham  who were there and we all went to St Joseph's together. We left to go to High school in 1966 so we must have started primary about 1960? I do not have any photos at all from primary school. We moved to Longsight when I was about 12. I used to get the 53 to high school. We used to play in and around the university and I remember sneaking into the Contact Theatre once. There were lots of bomb sites  to play in. I also used to go Denmark Market and Alec Road shopping. We were scruffy little urchins ha ha  :o

maggi

« Reply #54 on: 08:21:25, 12/10/14 »
Gosh MG

that was my childhood too!

I lived on Cecil St when I was very little, first house (No 1 or 2)
Porters Coal yard, do you remember?

I am a couple of years older than you, I went to St Joes in 1964,
Do you remember the Lawlors?  They lived on Cecil St then on Lloyd St,
and the Cornelias lived on Cecil St

I too went to Denmark Road market, and Alec Road.  Do you remember the big Denmark pub?

MG

« Reply #55 on: 08:41:20, 12/10/14 »
Brilliant! The even numbers on Cecil Street were back to back with Lloyd Street. We were at 8. Was Porters at 2. Did it cut  fire wood up also? I seem to remember a machine sound  whirring. I also remember selling bundles of wood on the street? The rag and bone man used to come around on his horse and cart. I watched the houses across the road being demolished to build the JMB building. I seem to remember the name Lawlors. I do remember grown up girls upstairs at the Holy Name when I was very little and seeing lots of sewing machines in one of the classrooms once.

maggi

« Reply #56 on: 08:54:52, 12/10/14 »
Wow    we wee neighbours
yes No 2 Cecil Street,  yes wood cut there too,

The Lawlor's.......Johnnie was the eldest, he would be 55-57 ish now, Bernadette a year younger, Carmel a year younger, yes every year a new baby, then Anne, Margarite, twin boys, and a few more after,
my mum used to be friends with their mum, she was Eileen Lawlor.  They lived above the laundry (Philbins, I think) on Lloyd St (65)  then into our flat, when we moved (75) to Rusholme.

Yes I remember something going on upstairs at school?  Do you remember the teachers?
Miss Fitzpatrick
Mrs Glass
Miss Slattery
Miss Blackwell
Brain working well this morn

MG

« Reply #57 on: 09:21:38, 12/10/14 »
I do remember the Denmark pub. Remember Miss Blackwell and Miss Stopford (?). She walked past our house a couple of times on the way to school. Think she came down Dilworth Street. She let me help her with her class library. One teacher made me stand on the desk for talking.........!!!

maggi

« Reply #58 on: 11:14:27, 12/10/14 »
ha ha    you should be a public speaker!!

Dilworth Street ...fab chippy there

My mam worked at Swans pianos

I lived next door to the Denmark pub, in the grocers shop (Hitchens)
do toy remember Kennderdines shop on the corner of wright St, opp Cecil St?

KathFader

« Reply #59 on: 03:09:29, 13/10/14 »
Hi, everyone. I am another St. Joe's pupil, 1966 - 1971. I've just found this forum while I was rattling my brain trying to remember if it was Victoria Baths where we used to go swimming with Miss Verity. The only class I can remember being in was St. Maria Goretti. I do remember most of the names of teachers I have been reading in the posts. Sister Monica once dragged me over the coals for my poor sewing. Sister Margaret, she of the John Lennon glasses and outward facing nostrils! Gave me the shivers! Mr. Champion was the name of the physics teacher. He started when I was in fifth year. It was quite a shock to see a man walking the holy halls of the convent!

B54
I think the Philomena you remember might have been Philomena Redican. She lived just off St. Marys Road, Moston, not far from me. I think frequently of the girls I went to school with, Pat Capper, Pruah Toby, Christina (Polish surname), Tina Bates, Margaret Foster, Gwen Howell, Una Mannion, and there are lots more I've forgotten!