Author Topic: St Josephs technical high Longsight  (Read 96821 times)

Michelle Ginger

Re: St Josephs technical high Longsight
« Reply #135 on: 06:49:22, 06/02/17 »
Annual Reunion Mass for Staff, Alumni and their families,
St Joseph's RC Technical High School
Laindon Rd, Victoria Park, Manchester 14

If you went to the school, this is for you to come and celebrate our part In Manchester's history 1871 - 1985.

Saturday, 18 March 2017
11 am Confessions
& Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
12 Noon Mass for anticipated
Feast of St Joseph, 19 March
Refreshments after in the parish hall

St Bernard's RC Church,
Burnage Lane M19 1DR

The buildings are gone but we are still here, living stones.
« Last Edit: 07:08:02, 06/02/17 by Michelle Ginger »

juliamnn

« Reply #136 on: 13:19:47, 07/02/17 »
I was at st Josephs from 1961-1966 Good times

I doubt if I will be attending the mass I live in Llandudno and have mobility problems

Do you happen to know Eileen Keane or Lynda Williamson these were their names before marriage

I was Julie Parsey now Wright

Michelle Ginger

« Reply #137 on: 18:43:57, 07/02/17 »
Hiya Julie,

Sorry to hear you have mobility problems. Sorry to hear we won't see you at the Mass. You will be pleased to know we will be thinking of you and everyone associated with the school. Indeed, the Mass is offered for us all.

I don't know Eileen Keane or Lynda Williamson.  Sorry to be of no help there. If I come across them I will mention you would like to get in touch. I was there when the school closed in July 1985. It reopened in September 1985 as a new co-educational school known as St Vincent de Pau RC High School. We merged with St Pius X RC High School for boys, Denison Rd, Victoria Park. It's latest incarnation is St Peter's, Kirkmanshulme Lane, Gorton.

Just a handful of us will assemble for the Mass. As the years pass, I guess it will come to a stop entirely. Even so, we will celebrate whilst we can and I would love it if you can get to Mass in Llandudno or have someone bring you Holy Communion about 12.30pm on the day so you can join intentions with us and think of Manchester and our girlhood in that place so long ago.

Keep looking for your friends, maybe Facebook, Friends Reunited.
Every good wish,
Michelle 

Christine Hession

« Reply #138 on: 16:14:12, 22/02/17 »
I went to Saint Joseph's from 1961 to 1968.  I used to run a school association for the school and wrote a book about the school.
Some people asked Sister Monica.  She was moved to Liverpool! Originally and then retired to a convent in Glasgow.
I loved my time St Joseph's it was a wonderful school.
Christine

Michelle Ginger

« Reply #139 on: 07:32:24, 24/02/17 »
Hi Christine,

Will you come to St Bernard's 18 March 17 for the Mass?
I would love to meet you as would others. Some of the former members of the school association have mentioned you and your book. It would be great if you could bring a copy along. Until 2016, I had no idea our school had such a long history starting in 1871.

Every blessing,
Michelle

juliamnn

« Reply #140 on: 11:58:00, 23/03/17 »
Hi Sylvia
Just reading your post I was at St Joseph's 1961-1966 I too went into nursing and then midwifery eventually working as a Special care midwife in the community for At Mary's hospital

Have you ever heard of Eileen Keane she also went into nursing after she left school?

It would be interesting to know where you worked we may have crossed paths at some time

Look forward to hearing  from you

juliamnn

« Reply #141 on: 12:16:01, 23/03/17 »
Hi Christine
Just read your post I must have been at school the same time as you 1961-1966 after leaving school I went into nursing and midwifery Do you know what happened to Sister Rafael if that's the correct spelling
Do you remember the school speech days in the Free trade hall and the folk dancing competition
I am so thankful to have had the education St Joseph's gave me
Do you remember Eileen keane ?
Look forward to hearing from you soon

Maureen

« Reply #142 on: 19:02:00, 03/05/17 »
Hello all you St Josephs girls!!!  :)

I opened a St Josephs page on facebook if anyone would like to join us. We are a bit short on members .........only 3 of us so far!!  :-\
It would be great to see you all on there soon. Many thanks, Maureen  ;D
(l was there 1965 to 1970)

Maureen

« Reply #143 on: 19:17:24, 03/05/17 »
Hello again everyone.  :) When l was at St Josephs my closest friend was Valerie Madden. We initially kept in touch after we left school and then lost touch when l moved house. She orginally lived in Blackly and then Crumpsall. I have been looking out for her on social networking sites etc and never seen her. Does anyone still know her or know of her current whereabouts as l would love to get back in touch with her. Thank you, Maureen (was Callaghan) :smitten:

Beatles fan

« Reply #144 on: 17:13:01, 31/05/17 »
I went to St Joseph's from 1963 to 1968. I think I was in Honour House. I remember we had a yellow badge. I also remember the folk dancing competitions we had. My class once did a Japanese dance and we all wore kimonos and did a lot of bowing to each other and kneeling down.

I can't remember very many of the teachers but I do remember Miss Verity who taught PE and Sister Louise who taught us in the library. I think I had Sister Mary for Domestic Science. I can remember making a lemon meringue pie which I managed to burn. I think she also taught needlework and I can vaguely recall making a gingham apron. I certainly remember her teaching us how to iron a man's shirt!

I don't remember very many of the pupils there, but I was friendly with someone called Angela Jones. Also Patricia Paine and Valerie Ringland. There was a girl with lovely blonde ringlets called Collette Turner-Bishop. I don't think I ever spoke to her but I was fascinated by her name. I remember her reciting a poem which began, 'I know a little cupboard with a key, key, key.....' and then something about sweeties 'for me, me, me' - for some competition or another...!

Actually, now that I've started thinking about it, I remember a few other things too. I was in the choir and the BBC came and recorded us singing a full mass. It really was beautiful and they made a record which was available to buy. Unfortunately my father was very hard up and couldn't afford to buy it.
[size=78%]
[/size]
I was Anne Thompson then, Anne Clarke now.

David d Gribben

« Reply #145 on: 20:43:07, 02/06/17 »
I have a St Josephs class photo early fifties, if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Saracat

« Reply #146 on: 18:29:56, 05/07/17 »
Just stumbled on these posts! Was that Bernadette who always had a fab and trendy hairstyle?

Michelle Ginger

« Reply #147 on: 11:48:12, 27/01/18 »
2018 Annual Reunion Mass offered for living and deceased Staff, Alumni and families of
St Joseph's RC Technical High School, Laindon Rd, Victoria Park, Manchester M14 5DW

If you went to St Joseph's Laindon Road, or worked there, this is for you to come and celebrate our part in Manchester's history 1871 -1985.
Every blessing and thanks to Mgr Michael Kujacz, Parish Priest, and the parish of St Bernard's for receiving us once more for our annual Mass.

Saturday, 24 March 2018
11 am Confessions & Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament

12 Noon Mass for the Feast of St Joseph, 19 March 2018
Refreshments after in the parish hall

St Bernard's RC Church,
Burnage Lane, Manchester M19 1DR

« Last Edit: 12:00:27, 27/01/18 by Michelle Ginger »

MotownMad

« Reply #148 on: 23:24:40, 13/03/18 »
Hi, I have just found this sight and especially pleased to see a note from Anne Thompson now Clarke as well as other chats! Brought back lots if memories of teachers names etc.
I was at St Joe's from 1963-1970 and I was in your form Anne! My name - Patrcia Kenny, now Fielding.
I was a friend of Angela Jones, Patricia Payne and others. Do you remember Gloria Robinson, Kathleen McDonald, Yolanda Szuminska, Krystina Wenglaz and Francesca Szal - funny how some of the polish names have stuck in my mind! I know Angela Jones became Angela Brown in 1970 - I was a witness at her wedding to Dave Briwn who had been at Manchester Central Grammar.
I was in Mercy house and forms St Claire's, St Teresa's and St Ursula's - can't recall for the other years?
I also remember singing in Chapel and the live recording for radio - think it was a special mass for one of the nuns who had passed away? Outside of school I remember coming to a party at your home one Saturday and also bumping in to you when you were coming out of a live concert to see 'Country Joe and the Fish' and I was going to the next show! How time flies but nice to have a reminder of times gone by!

chrissyb

« Reply #149 on: 17:16:44, 19/03/18 »
I attended St Joseph's Technical High Longsight from 1963 - 1968.
My name was Christine Royle.  I remember Anne Thompson and many others in our first year form of St. Clare's.  I keep in touch with some girls & go to the Beatles Convention in Liverpool every August with friend from school - Shelagh Kelly.
Hope to see some faces at the reunion mass on the 24th March.
Christine Broome :)