Author Topic: St Josephs technical high Longsight  (Read 96808 times)

Michelle Ginger

Re: St Josephs technical high Longsight
« Reply #165 on: 16:13:08, 26/03/19 »
Wasn't it great at St Bernard's, 23 March 2019? Lovely homily by Father. Everyone was so pleased to see everyone who came. We are hoping for the same time, same place 2020, 149 years since the school was established in 1871. If it goes ahead, the Mass will be Saturday, 21 March 2019. The year 2021 will be a jubilee year of 150 years 1871 - 2021. We didn't get the music for the school hymn but our girls sang it acapella, and very nicely too!

Keep the Faith

Sewit

« Reply #166 on: 12:47:13, 22/05/19 »
I was at St Joseph's 1958-1964. I have been to the  reunions At St Margaret Mary's in Moston organised by Christine Hession. I am still in contact with a few others from  my year. I am hoping to go to the mass on Saturday i'm not expecting to know anyone!!. I was Pat Gleaves.

Hello Hopeful, I wonder if our paths crossed during that time though I might have been a year ahead of you I started in 1957 and left in 1964. My name is Pat Neild and I played netball and rounders primarily with Margaret Spooner and Mary Verity. I live in Oz so am a long way form reunions . hope I hear back form anyonw who may remember me   :smitten:

Sewit

« Reply #167 on: 12:59:31, 22/05/19 »
Hi Maggi
I remember Miss Verity, or was it Mrs. Verity.  She used to be Miss Spooner and then married, and her name changed to Verity, can't remember whether she used Miss or Mrs.  Do you remember those horrible old fashioned bottle green shorts we had to wear for PE.
I remember Mrs. O'Reilly.
Was you told about the ghost story in the attic of the Domestic Science Rooms?
Estar

Hi Estar  It's a while since you posted htis but I have only just found the forum soI hope you are still contributing .You sound as though you may have been around during my years at Joeys. All the teac hers were my teachers. Some of the girls I was with were Eileen Mulryan,Colette Harding, Anne Griffin, Frances Rocca,  the Clarke sisters and a few more.  Im not sure if I can post pictures to the page but I do have some if anyone is interested in them. Look forwar to any replies if these names ring a bell and my name is Pat neild and I had a sister Barbara in the school 3 years behind me.

anglo1

« Reply #168 on: 21:42:01, 10/06/19 »
Does anyone remember Jane Mullen? She was a neighbour of mine on North Road Longsight, she went there probably between 1974 and 1978?
Thanks

Barryfrecy

St Josephs technical high Longsight
« Reply #169 on: 23:41:10, 12/07/19 »
Yes, but that would be one big corral, Sam.

Maybe it was an early WPA project?

Karen101

« Reply #170 on: 00:26:28, 27/11/19 »
Hiya Maggi
I remember Mrs. Morrison the music teacher - she was a fantastic teacher. I loved her lessons and went to the Free Trade Hall on two occasions with her to see The Vienna Boys Choir and then a performance with Sir John Barbirolli - anyone remember that?
I remember Miss Verity too PE teacher, think she also taught Biology? But not 100% on that.

I remember a teacher called Mrs Griffin - Maths? Also Mr. Champion and playing with Mercury on the desk - it formed little baubles and we rolled them around - doesn't bear thinking about now, but I survived :)

I was in Truth house, a little white badge. I always seemed to be in trouble at the house meetings. Think we had to stand up and announce why we'd got some sort of card for doing something wrong - can't remember what they were called. Remember Sharon Smith Anne Edwards Una Marrinan (my memory of her name) Danker Niyjoo (wrong spelling)

Also still got my Handmaids badge etc......Mrs Coffey English teacher has just come to mind and so many more memories. I was there from Sept. '69 to Easter '71 when we moved to Blackpool. I loved every minute at St. Joes. It's lovely to read all the message, brings back lots of good memories. What a shame the school had to close. Anyway enough waffle from me. Take care everyone x

Yvette Robinson

« Reply #171 on: 11:58:50, 18/12/19 »
I went to St Joseph's from 1963 to 1968. I think I was in Honour House. I remember we had a yellow badge. I also remember the folk dancing competitions we had. My class once did a Japanese dance and we all wore kimonos and did a lot of bowing to each other and kneeling down.

I can't remember very many of the teachers but I do remember Miss Verity who taught PE and Sister Louise who taught us in the library. I think I had Sister Mary for Domestic Science. I can remember making a lemon meringue pie which I managed to burn. I think she also taught needlework and I can vaguely recall making a gingham apron. I certainly remember her teaching us how to iron a man's shirt!

I don't remember very many of the pupils there, but I was friendly with someone called Angela Jones. Also Patricia Paine and Valerie Ringland. There was a girl with lovely blonde ringlets called Collette Turner-Bishop. I don't think I ever spoke to her but I was fascinated by her name. I remember her reciting a poem which began, 'I know a little cupboard with a key, key, key.....' and then something about sweeties 'for me, me, me' - for some competition or another...!

Actually, now that I've started thinking about it, I remember a few other things too. I was in the choir and the BBC came and recorded us singing a full mass. It really was beautiful and they made a record which was available to buy. Unfortunately my father was very hard up and couldn't afford to buy it.
[size=78%]
[/size]
I was Anne Thompson then, Anne Clarke now.
hl
HI BEATLES FAN My name was Yvette Allen and we must have been in the same class as I remember the names of the girls you mention especially the Polish names There was another girl as well Bizena Fadorak I was also a dancer in the Japanese folk dance festival The music we danced to was the flip side of the record Teatime in Tokyo. I too really loved Sister Louise for library and remember Ms Verity firbOE Do you remember a Marie Hogan? My house name was "Truth" a white badge and I used to hate our house meetings especially when you had to stand up in frontbof everyone if you had any marks against you

Mo Coen

« Reply #172 on: 19:56:39, 11/01/20 »
In case you still needed the lyrics to the school hymn (unfortunately don’t have the music).

We give to God our hymns of praise.
To Mary’s Son our hearts we raise.
And to the Holy Spirit blest
We consecrate our toil and rest
We pray the Queen of Heaven above
For gifts of joy and peace and love
Our patron saint we supplication
To guide our steps to Heaven’s gate.

Oh great St Joseph hear our prayer
Our daily progress make thy care
We chose thee for our constant guide
Our souls to thee we now confide
Where’re God leads us on life’s way
Thou art our patron, this we pray
Obtain for us the courage true
To “Keep the Faith” our whole lives through.

Miniracer37

« Reply #173 on: 03:32:36, 20/01/20 »
Hi all,
I just came across this forum.
Is there a reunion this year, 2020?
I was at St. Joseph’s from 1975-1980.
We went comprehensive after my second year at the school. I’m still in contact with Jean Nicholson and Pauline Mannion. We started together in 1975.
My name was Collette Nolan.
I’ve emailed St Bernard’s too. Please get back to me if you have details of the reunion this year.

Wasn't it great at St Bernard's, 23 March 2019? Lovely homily by Father. Everyone was so pleased to see everyone who came. We are hoping for the same time, same place 2020, 149 years since the school was established in 1871. If it goes ahead, the Mass will be Saturday, 21 March 2019. The year 2021 will be a jubilee year of 150 years 1871 - 2021. We didn't get the music for the school hymn but our girls sang it acapella, and very nicely too!

Keep the Faith

Chadwick

« Reply #174 on: 13:20:47, 09/02/20 »
My sister Joan Edwards went to St.Joseph's between 1951 and 1956. Her close friends were Judith Harney
and Pauline Drennan. I also knew Valerie Cook does anybody know these ladies.

juliamnn

« Reply #175 on: 19:31:46, 21/02/20 »
're The Holy Name
Does anyone know anything about Eileen Keane I think she used to live in Mosside We were at St Joseph's from 1961-1966 I would love to contact her We were good friends I know she used to go to The Holy Name or sometimes to St Kent's
Best wishes Julie Wright(Parsey)

Michelle Ginger

« Reply #176 on: 14:07:25, 03/03/20 »
Annual Reunion Mass for Staff, Alumni and their families,
St Joseph's RC Technical High School
Laindon Rd, Victoria Park, Manchester 14

If you went to the school, this is for you to come and celebrate our part In Manchester's history 1871 - 1985.

Saturday, 21 March 2020
11 am Confessions
& Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
12 Noon Deferred Mass Celebration - Nearest Saturday
Feast of St Joseph, 19 March 2020
Refreshments after in the parish hall

St Bernard's RC Church,
Burnage Lane M19 1DR

The buildings are gone but we are still here, living stones.

Michelle Ginger

« Reply #177 on: 14:00:09, 10/03/20 »
Novena to St Joseph starts 10th March 2020
Feast of St Joseph, 19th March 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekOYy0rdTvU
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-hruSS-EY

Litany of St Joseph

Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Jesus, hear us.
Jesus, graciously hear us.

God, the Father of Heaven,
Have mercy on us.

God, the Son, Redeemer of the world,
Have mercy on us.

God, the Holy Spirit,
Have mercy on us.

Holy Trinity, One God,
Have mercy on us.

Holy Mary,
Pray for us.

St. Joseph,
Pray for us.

Noble Son of the house of David,
Pray for us.

Light of Patriarchs,
Pray for us.

Husband of the Mother of God,
Pray for us.

Guardian of the Virgin,
Pray for us.

Foster father of the Son of God,
Pray for us.

Faithful Guardian of Christ,
Pray for us.

Head of the Holy Family,
Pray for us.

Joseph most just,
Pray for us.

Joseph most chaste,
Pray for us.

Joseph most prudent,
Pray for us.

Joseph most brave,
Pray for us.

Joseph most obedient,
Pray for us.

Joseph most faithful,
Pray for us.

Pattern of patience,
Pray for us.

Lover of poverty,
Pray for us.

Model of workers,
Pray for us.

Example to parents,
Pray for us.

Guardian of virgins,
Pray for us.

Pillar of family life,
Pray for us.

Comforter of the troubled,
Pray for us.

Hope of the sick,
Pray for us.

Patron of the dying,
Pray for us.

Terror of demons,
Pray for us.

Protector of the Church,
Pray for us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world,
Have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world,
Have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world.
Have mercy on us.

God made him Master of his household.
And put him in charge of all that we own.
Let Us Pray
All Mighty God, in your infinite wisdom and love, You chose Joseph to be the husband of Mary, he mother of your son; As we enjoy his protection on earth, may we have the help of his prayers in heaven. We ask this through Christ the Lord. Amen.

Michelle Ginger

« Reply #178 on: 14:19:23, 16/03/20 »
COVID-19 Coronavirus
As far as we know, the Mass for St Joseph's will be celebrated Saturday, 21 March 2020, though no refreshments after, owing to the health risks of gathering.
The Mass can be viewed online log in about 30 mins before Mass.

https://stbernards-burnage.homeip.net/church/live-camera.html

Every blessing in St Joseph

Michelle Ginger

« Reply #179 on: 18:11:27, 21/03/20 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDlCyemPS00

Very many thanks to Mgr Kujacz, Fr John an St Bernard's Burnage.
Mass was offered for St Joseph's Laindon Rd
Check out the Mass on YouTube link above.

Keep safe in St Joseph,
Michelle