Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 581175 times)

resurrection89

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1635 on: 12:00:04, 28/07/20 »
This sounds exactly like it was described to me! Absolutely the place i would think :) Thank you @Cheethamhillgirl

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what year would this have been for you? I would really like to know the name of the dentist or the shop and how long they were there :)

I think my father mentioned the year 1969? But i could be mistaken.

Mark Jones
:)

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1636 on: 12:09:12, 28/07/20 »
Mark, It would have been before 1960 that I visited that dentist. My Dad had told me we were going to see a man about some free milk on the NHS. He knew that, had he mentioned the word dentist, he wouldn't have seen my heels for dust. By the time Boris Karloff (sorry, I never knew his real name) had got me into his treatment room, it was too late! It was in one of the three or four storey houses on Cheetham Hill Rd which had stone steps leading up to them. They were built in the 1800s and were demolished in 1969 when the area's 'slum clearance' began. Our house in Huxley Avenue, like the houses in the immediate surrounding avenues, was built in 1900 and they still stand. I left the neighbourhood in 1973 to move out to Cheshire and only returned once, in 2013. So many changes. 
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

resurrection89

« Reply #1637 on: 12:26:58, 28/07/20 »
Thank you so much for your replies @Cheethamhillgirl, they are extremely helpful - and yes the steps leading up are also what they remember of the place!

Such a strange place and character by the sounds of things. A lot of the stories we were told by our parents of the surrounding area just sound like works of fiction sometimes haha. Amazing to hear other accounts of this time.

Hopefully others may have some further info. I know pictures of the area are pretty scarce.

Just for some background - my parents once lived above Fox's Funeral Home, my father worked at the *Jewish Hospital* as he calls it, and I believe he also worked for a Mr.Burn's - a toy maker / toy shop? I find it all fascinating how out-of-time it seems when they describe the place back then. It seems so recent in historic terms, yet the descriptions are often quite the opposite.

Mark Jones
:)