Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752934 times)

jimbo

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #45 on: 12:36:45, 09/03/11 »
:) We used to go along Bury New Road (quite near Cheetham Hill Rd) on a Sunday. There were lots of shops along there, in those days belonging to Jewish people. There was a furniture shop along there
belonging to 2 brothers, real gents. I bought an oval onyx and brass occasional table which is still in
use today, had it about 34 years. Shops there were thriving.
Hello Greengate Girl,the furniture shop you mentioned would that be the one owned by brothers Ted and Jack Levy,if so I worked there for a while in 1965,two real gents as you say,happy days.

blusal

« Reply #46 on: 12:42:58, 09/03/11 »
Hi I was born in Perth Street just behind the Waterloo Road post office, I remember all the jewish bakeries being open on a Sunday morning. I was born in 1958 so my childhood during the 1960's was spent in cheethamhill before my mum and dad moved us to Crumpsall in 1969. I rember cheetham hill swimming baths, it was always freezing cold. They were happy days..we had nowt but it didn't matter.
Flawed but sensitive.. I continue my trek against life's petty injustices

cheethamgirl

« Reply #47 on: 18:42:36, 09/03/11 »
Yes, I too remember the icy waters of Cheetham baths.  And I seem to recall there were changing cubicles around the sides of the pool, with wooden saloon-style doors. 
We used to have school swimming lessons here and it was a bit miserable going back to school on a freezing January morning with dripping wet hair. I don't remember there being hair dryers or a cafe.  :D
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

Greengate Girl

« Reply #48 on: 19:31:33, 09/03/11 »
 :)  Hi Jimbo, Hope you are enjoying the forum.One of the Levy brothers had very bad eyesight, and he used to aplogise for keeping me waiting when he was looking through a book for a price of an item.How nice.
We used to love walking along there and looking in all the warehouses. Most of them would sell us goods even though they were wholesale. We went along there most days during our lunch time (we worked at
the brewery) to pass the time.xx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #49 on: 07:15:34, 10/03/11 »
Which brewery was that, Greengate Girl?  I remember there being one in Strangeways as we could smell it from our school - it smelled just like the cornflake pie we had for school dinners sometimes.  Was there another one further up Cheetham Hill, or was the Levy Brothers' warehouse near the Strangeways brewery?

I'm told Cheetham Hill has changed enormously since I left in 1973.  I only remember the good old days when, as Blusal says, we had nowt but were happy.  Those days seemed destined to end with the demolition of the big, older houses on Heywood Street and around. 

There used to be an Irish club, the Ardri or Airdrie (it means High King, in Gaelic), situated near the Ice rink. I went there once with a cousin but it didn't really get going until around midnight and we had to leave by then as we were under age ...!    :o

I remember the Assembly Rooms on Cheetham Hill Rd, with their grand glass canopy, to allow people to alight from carriages and not have their finery rained on.  I went to a lovely Polish wedding reception there once.  Wonder if it's still standing?  There were some hints of grandeur and majesty amongst the shabby old buildings. The Spanish & Portuguese synagogue was also a masterpiece of architecture. The Sephardic community seemed to be much wealthier than the Ashkenazim, or so it seemed to an outsider.

I saw a recent episode of 'Location, Location' where Kirsty and Phil were trying to persuade two chaps to buy a flat in a former warehouse in Cheetham, as it is in a 'regeneration' area, but they thought Cheetham Hill Rd was a bit rough still. So the neighbourhood might still rise from the ashes?

Greengate Girl

« Reply #50 on: 10:31:31, 10/03/11 »
 :) Hi Cheethamgirl, I worked at Boddington's Brewery which faced onto Bury New Road.Further back was
another brewery called Joseph Holt's. The Levy Brother's shop was on Bury New Road but further up going
towards Waterloo Rd.

I don't know Cheetham Hill very much and don't know if the Assembly rooms are still there. I've been to a new Shopping Centre in the area and there are a lot of new propertys there but that is all I know.

I grew up in Salford and we didn't have much but we were always well fed. Now there too there are lots
of new propertys but I've heard it hasn't the same heart.xxxxxx

cheethamgirl

« Reply #51 on: 11:28:32, 10/03/11 »
I passed my student days in Salford - mainly in the Flat Iron pub!  A friend and I used to treat ourselves to fish and chips now and again in Duncan and Fosters' cafe down in the precinct (was it called Walter Greenwood Court, or am I mixing it up with a block of flats?).  They served up Rombouts coffee with individual filters,which seemed so sophisticated to us.  As a poor student, I lashed out £3 on a parka from the Flat Iron market, and it kept me warm through several harsh winters.  I read Greenwood's book, Love on The Dole,  back then and felt sad for the even worse poverty which had gone before.  My Auntie Eileen (Price) - lovely woman - lived on Great Cheetham Street.  I have fond memories of Salford. Still have a Lowry poster to remind me of the matchstick folks, and smokey chimneys - even the cats wore clogs!    ;D

Greengate Girl

« Reply #52 on: 11:39:53, 10/03/11 »
 ;D Iknow the Flat Iron pub and the old Salford market we used to visit every other week. When my children were young they used to like to go round teh stalls and spend their pocket money on comics
"jewellery" and stuff (this was in the 60's) Walter Greenwood Court was a block of flats.yes Parkas
were very popular, I think everyone wore them :)

Greengate Girl

« Reply #53 on: 19:55:33, 10/03/11 »
 :) Just read about a lady who has been missing for 57 years. She had a baby out of wedlock and put away, the baby being adopted. She has now been reunited with the family. This is a very sad story
with a happy ending. The son she had is trying to be found.,xxxx

cheethamgirl

« Reply #54 on: 06:43:44, 11/03/11 »
That used to happen a lot, but I thought all that had stopped by the 1950s.  Where was this, in Manchester?  :(

tony dixon

« Reply #55 on: 12:25:04, 11/03/11 »
Hi Cheethamgirl.

I've just re-read this thread and despite it's relatively slow start it's amazing just how much interest was later generated. Just goes to show exactly what can be achieved with that initial little nudge.

You never did get round to up-loading your piccy ( probably, like me, that's down to lack of expertise ) but anyway, here's a rather nostalic shot in the early 1900's.

Best wishes.
« Last Edit: 12:35:39, 08/01/13 by Chris »

Greengate Girl

« Reply #56 on: 12:29:02, 11/03/11 »
Hi Cheethamgirl, This lady,Florence aged 17, in the 50's, was from Cheetham Hill. She had a baby boy and her parents had her sectioned and she was put in Brockton Mental Institute where she fled 200 miles to London. The baby was adopted.
A skeleton was dug up in Manchester City Centre and Florences relatives thought it might be her. After investigations all was revealed and now her son, who is 57 has been in touch with the family (she had 2 more children) Ahappy outcome to a very sad story.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #57 on: 13:53:55, 11/03/11 »
Hi Tony,  You're right, I've never mastered the art of uploading!  Lovely pic - where is it exactly?

Greengate girll -
I now see the story in the press.  Awful.  I wonder where in Cheetham Hill the poor lady lived? I see she changed her name to Diane Roberts and now has a son, whose name is also Roberts, except that it isn't, and he had always thought he was her first born son. I hope she finds her first baby son - he'll be 57 now.

Regards to you both.

tony dixon

« Reply #58 on: 15:11:14, 11/03/11 »
Hi cheetamgirl

The piccy is from the Manchester Local Image Collection which is a virtual treasure-trove of local pictures associated with all the Manchester districts.

The only " short-coming " is the lack of more informative text accompanying the photos - so I can only tell you that the image was taken in 1903 and is titled **Cheetam hill near the Temple Hotel**

cheethamgirl

« Reply #59 on: 15:57:12, 11/03/11 »
Tony,

Looking at the previous pic of the Temple which you posted earlier in this thread, I can see that this is the Temple Hotel. I hadn't realised how old it was.  Look at the old horse driven waggon outside it.  I don't think the cinema was built back then, nor the school.  Fascinating.