Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 754029 times)

Terrence Henderson

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #360 on: 20:43:51, 12/04/12 »
I was the Lone Ranger...and i'm a girl . :D

Chaddie you have been quiet of late ...are you OK?
Hate political bigots!

Collegiateboy

« Reply #361 on: 17:38:50, 17/04/12 »
Anyone remember the cinema  on Cheetham Hill Rd / Heywood St which become a bowling alley, the chicken factory in lane that ran between Herbert St and Heywood St, Agfa Gavaert on North St, the park on Elizabeth St, Cheetham Colleigate School, Smedley Rd park and Smiths Chips factory

St Chads

« Reply #362 on: 08:14:10, 18/04/12 »
Anyone remember the cinema  on Cheetham Hill Rd / Heywood St which become a bowling alley, the chicken factory in lane that ran between Herbert St and Heywood St, Agfa Gavaert on North St, the park on Elizabeth St, Cheetham Colleigate School, Smedley Rd park and Smiths Chips factory

Yes...my Auntie worked in the (Jewish ) chicken factory  for a short while .
Did the Cheetham Collegiate  School have a Yellow/Black stripe  uniform ?
I spent a lot of time with my bros in Elizabeth Park ... O0
Oh and i think it was the Temple Cinema that changed into a Bowling Alley
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

terrygirl

« Reply #363 on: 18:45:32, 18/04/12 »
I remember a cinema on Cheetham Hill rd It was a big white building on a corner, could have been Waterloo rd.
 It had a balcony upstairs. I remember going to see the Ten Commandment there, when I was about 10.

shemmy

« Reply #364 on: 20:33:41, 18/04/12 »
Hi, sorry for the delay. My surname at the time was Yarwood. :)

St Chads

« Reply #365 on: 08:05:44, 19/04/12 »
I remember a cinema on Cheetham Hill rd It was a big white building on a corner, could have been Waterloo rd.
 It had a balcony upstairs. I remember going to see the Ten Commandment there, when I was about 10.
I think that was the Premier Cinema. O0

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

Collegiateboy

« Reply #366 on: 12:56:03, 19/04/12 »
There were 4 cinemas in Cheetham i can remember the ABC which pulled down, opposite was a green one which became a bingo place, the Temple, and the big white one near North St/ Heywood St which become a bowling alley and a warehouse. i saw El Cid there.  And one in Halliwell Lane which became a supermarket
The chicken factory burnt down in 1971 i think.
I remember some houses on Heywood  St had been bombed out in the war
There two elderly women teachers at Collegiate School, one was Miss White I think
The park on  Elizabeth St has a small lake with Boats
The 53 bus would take us to Belle Vue Zoo

Long gone

« Reply #367 on: 17:24:02, 20/04/12 »
I came across this forum a couple of weeks ago and when I read some of the posts I was blown away. I left Manchester, for Canada in '69 and haven't been back since. The posts about St. Chads - particularly some of the names... wow. I saw one post about blonde haired Ukrainian boys - one was called Roman. That had to be Dociminsky?! We played on the school football team together. Mr. Saunders and Mr. Woodlands ran the team.

terrygirl

« Reply #368 on: 18:19:12, 20/04/12 »
We used to get the 60 or the 61 bus, from Victoria ave, Rochdale rd, to Queens rd. Where we would get the 53 to Belle Vue Zoo and the Fair. This was our big day out for the year.  :)

When I was about 14 or 15 went to see David Cassidy,  Osmonds, and Jackson five. At Belle Vue, with my friends from school. :)

Dantista

« Reply #369 on: 08:47:11, 21/04/12 »
Hi - I'm an old St Chad's girl - with less emphasis on the 'old' maybe. I remember Roman (whom we called 'Swallow'). He was a friend of my brother Salvo, who was taught by Mr Saunders and Mr Keeley. I was taught at various times by Miss Vezey, Miss Tunney and Miss Dolores (who I always thought of as Mr Lores!). And, of course, by the nuns from hell, Theresa and Philomena (I refuse to give them their titles as there was nothing 'sisterly' about them.

I've only just found this site as someone pointed me to a St Chad's site (?) and I got this. So I've missed years of reminiscence and discovery. I lived in 'the flats, which were just between Strangeways and 'The Dairies'.

Dantista

« Reply #370 on: 08:54:21, 21/04/12 »
I also remember the Cinema on Cheetham Hill Road that turned into a bowling alley. It was the Odeon. Further up the road in Cheetham Village you had the Premier, the Temple (where we went to see all our matinees on a Saturday, including some strange live performances) and the Greenhill - which later turned into a billiard hall. There was another Cinema on Derby Street, which turned into a skating rink, then a bingo place, but I can't remember its name. At the back of that was a field where the lads used to play football and the girls ogled them and/or escaped to have a sneaky smoke.

St Chads

« Reply #371 on: 12:11:32, 21/04/12 »
Hi Dantista, Did you know the Marigliano family by any chance...?My brother James Nolan played Football for Mr Saunders and co ...

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

Dantista

« Reply #372 on: 13:40:08, 21/04/12 »
Hi St Chad's - I'm Emma Marigliano, and I'm assuming you might be talking of either Salvatore (Salvo) or Ciro?

Long gone

« Reply #373 on: 13:38:16, 23/04/12 »
Hello St. Chads. What year did James play for Mr. Saunders? Was it 1968/69 by any chance?

St Chads

« Reply #374 on: 16:31:07, 24/04/12 »
Hi St Chad's - I'm Emma Marigliano, and I'm assuming you might be talking of either Salvatore (Salvo) or Ciro?

Oh My Days!  Hi Emma...how weird is this ....We were in the same class ...I think you left after that ..did you ?   You were an excellent artist and came across as a very intelligent girl(do you still do it ) You are one of the girls that stand out from my days there. 

My bros were always talking about Ciro and what he got up to......(he was a very good looking boy ) i remember him coming into class with a pic he had drawn ....seem it must have run in the family ....Me ?....i' was that scruffy lil red head Dorothy Nolan ....i  don't know if you noticed me .

JOHN GALSWORTHY,