Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752810 times)

JONNO

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #675 on: 09:47:03, 26/07/12 »
Morning dooron!
I don't remember being asked to read anything out at assembly and I'm sure that I would have remembered if I had - you must have been a declamation prodigy ;) . I do remember distinctly being invited to read a bible at my secondary school assembly which was traumatic enough, but the passage given was that including the phrase 'he that hath ears to hear let him hear'. Being from Broughton pronouncing aitches was not something I had much experience of. I practiced and practiced until I had the sentence cracked but knew what would happen on the fateful day - and it did! Aitches were missed where required and appeared where they shouldn't have: it was excruciating. Oddly enough I had no problem with French declamation and won 1st prize on one occasion.
I took English Lit A level and have been an avid reader ever since althjough I steer more towards non-fiction these days. Talking of plots, I've written a few short stories and also a kids' novel in my spare time but have been given a polite refusal to any publication request.

JoanGJ41

« Reply #676 on: 18:14:32, 26/07/12 »
I just came across this site after I googled Temple Square and the Temple Cinema and Pub.  What a lot of memories!  I grew up in Crumpsall and went to St Anne's School and Notre Dame.  I left in 1959 to go to London for nursing training and then came to New York in 1965 - I've been here ever since.
My siblings and I (several of whom still live in the Manchester area) often exchange reminiscences about growing up.  The lads played in Wilton Polygon, we all went to the baths and Lorenzini's afterwards, my grandma and grandad lived in Temple Square where my Dad grew up. Mike Harding went to school with my brothers, etc, etc, etc - I could go on and on.
What a nice trip down memory lane.  I also am very interested in genealogy, so the rest of the forum will probably prove useful when I get a chance to explore.  I only read the first few pages, so I won't add more until I've finished reading, but if any of the above rings bells I'd love to hear from you.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #677 on: 12:37:49, 27/07/12 »
Hi Joan G,  I grew up in Huxley Ave (born there in 1953 and left 1973) and I started this thread and am loving the replies.  I used to play in Temple Square when they put a playground in front of the flats.  I remember a girl named Florence who lived there in a flat with her mother and used to come and play with us. She seemed rather lonely. Have you found the Notre Dame page on Facebook?  Lots of memories of the school on there.

Lorenzini's was heaven on earth for me.  Never had such good ice cream since those days.   
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

JONNO

« Reply #678 on: 14:30:53, 31/07/12 »
Did anyone ever go to the Dance Hall on Seymour Lane at the top end of Cheetham Hill near to King David's school? I have only vague memories of it and cannot remember the name as I soon graduated to Manchester centre and the Jungfrau, Oasis and Wheel.

shyandquiet

« Reply #679 on: 16:30:36, 31/07/12 »
Hi ,I have just found this site. Iwas born in 1949 in what we called The Buildings, york Buildings ,sandwiched betwen LHD dairies and the ice palace on one side and lancaster Buildings and Srangeways on the other. I went to St. Chads then to Notre Dame. I remember Lorenzinis and vimto ice lollies. I remember going to the Temple pictures on a saturday morning and being absolutely awe struck by mohican indians in canoes. My mum worked at the Empire building as a make-through machinist-mens overcoates. There was a chippy I would die for ,opposite the dairy, where you took your own dish in. Then there was the Jewish hospital, where my dad carried me when I fell on a broken bottle whenI was seven, dont know about you but we did not have a car and we did not get electricity till I was nine. We had gas mantles. I remember Lizzie park and always getting pushed off the swings by some other children.The Jewish bakers was great at the bottom of Derby street on waterloo road . Iremember the horse troughs and always wanted to be picked up to look into them.I could go on for hoursbut I wont. Thanks

cheethamgirl

« Reply #680 on: 18:41:27, 31/07/12 »
You were 4 years ahead of me, shyandquiet.  I also did St Chads and Notre Dame, but was also at St Clare's Blackley from age 7 till 11 plus.  I remember  just about all the places you mention. Hope you enjoy reading the Cheetham thread.  Look out also for others on washouses, ice cream vans, etc.

dooron

« Reply #681 on: 09:55:19, 07/08/12 »
mornin all !!

off to beamish heritage site  nr durham tomorrow for 2 days...cheetham girl and all - if anyone would like me to make a special look at anything plse comment

after checking out 'trip advisor' and weeding out the 'wingers and moaners' i've come up with a general plan of action..

go via the lovely tebay stop on the m6......... have already booked tickets online as several 'trip' entries mentioned the long queues at the pay on the day....then take a tram trip over the whole massive site to get a feel of the place..it is quite clear that one day is not enough and as the one off ticket covers a whole year 2 days should be enough to see most things

i intend to make particular visits to the old cottages - co-op- church and school - as well as a must do for me...go down the mine ..my wife won't go anywhere near but i wouldn't miss this for anything

apparently the fish and chips are very popular but i dont think i will be standing in a line for over an hour  !

all the best

cheethamgirl

« Reply #682 on: 17:02:13, 07/08/12 »
Have a great time there Dooron.  8)

JoanGJ41

« Reply #683 on: 22:27:17, 08/08/12 »
Hello Again,
I was just telling my sister about this website.  She's 9 years younger than me, I'm Joan Gittins, now Johnston and she's Angela, now Garvey.  We went to St. Anne's Crumpsall, then ND. I have another sister, Julie, born 1962, (guess who she's named after!), who also went to ND just before it closed.  We have a long history with Notre Dame - my mother, Teresa Hartley, various aunts and cousins all went there, and my dad, who grew up in Temple Square and went to St. Chad's and St. Bede's was an altar boy there - in fact my Mum's friends who were boarders "met" him before my Mum did!  Miss (Betty) Rossall was at school with my Mum and taught all of us.
We lived on Seymour Road and I do remember the dance hall, although I never went to it.
If any of this sounds familiar, please let me know.
Joan Johnston

Johnny P

« Reply #684 on: 20:23:27, 13/08/12 »

Hi All

I "stumbled" upon this forum a few days ago and it has taken me a while to read through it. It certainly jogged a few memories, having grown up in Cheetham all those years ago. Before I start reminiscing, there was a question asked about a dance hall in Seymour Road at the top of Cheetham Hill Road. This was called Chiltons (or Chilterns??). We used to go there on a Wednesday night. It backed on to a pub called The Egerton Ams....which is still there, I think.

Staying on the subject of dance halls, I am surprised nobody has mentioned Finnigans on Queens Rd. I grew up round the corner (off Johnson Street) and "Finnys" was the place to go. There has been no mention of that little part of Cheetham between Queens Rd and Smedley Lane. I am sure someone out there must have memories of the area. For instance, The annual outing from Beech Hill Working Mens Club. Ostensibly, this was for the children of members but, in reality, almost every kid in the area went on it. It was only a trip to New Brighton or Southport but it was all some of the kids got. Anyone remember??

JONNO

« Reply #685 on: 22:10:39, 13/08/12 »
Chilton's it was! Thanks Johnny P.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #686 on: 06:31:41, 14/08/12 »
My Dad was a member of the Beech Hill, though I don't recall going on any of the outings.  My Dad's firm, CH Johnson & Sons (mnfrs of wire mesh for the paper industry),  had outings for employee's kids, to circus, pantomime etc, with a big party afterwards in the factory canteen.  CH Johnson & Sons (not to be confused with Johnson & Nephew) was based originally in Cheetham (perhaps around Halliwell Ln or Smedley Ln) and so my parents bought a house in Cheetham.  Shortly after they'd taken out their lifetime mortgage however, the firm decided to relocate to Wythenshawe and so for the rest of his working life, my Dad had to commute across Manchester to work.  For many years he went by bus(es) then in later life he learned to drive and bought an Austin A35.  We eventually moved to Bramhall just a couple of years before he retired, then he enjoyed just 5 years of blissful retirement before sadly he passed away. He wasn't much of a drinker but he loved company and a bit of craic, so the Beech Hill and the Temple pub were his occasional haunts, and of course the Irish club where he and my Mum loved to dance (think that was off Queen's Rd somewhere).  There was the Airdrie (?) Irish Club somewhere near Derby St but I only ever went there once with a cousin. We were teenagers who had to be home by 10pm and it didn't get going to midnight, so we were the only ones in the place all evening!

Johnny P

« Reply #687 on: 18:56:27, 16/08/12 »
I am really surprised you didn't go on the outings....This was the 50s to the mid 60s I am talking about and it was the Wednesday of Whit Week every year...... andwe are talking a big event with four even five coaches. To the kids who lived in the immediate vicinity (Johnson St and the adjoining streets) it was the next best thing to Christmas. Even if the local kid's dads weren't members, my dad would write them  a ticket (he was on the committee!) so nobody was disappointed. One member is on record as saying "How many bl**dy kids has Tommy Pearson got?". But it wasn't favouritism. His view was that, if the seats are there, why should they not be used so even kids he didn't know went. They were good times. When we arrived there was a hot meal for EVERYONE. Then all the kids were given half a crown to spend in the afternoon. About five o clock sit down for fish and chips then home on the buses with a sing song and drinks. 

lozflan

« Reply #688 on: 19:21:32, 16/08/12 »
hi cheetham girl. my married sister lived not so very far from you, they lived in turly st, off queens rd. in the 60,st they used to run one of those bond bubble cars, [before the bond bug.] and i think a similar  heinkle. two streets up, either hawkshead or leicester  lived the girl ,ive posted about, who went on to roles in corrie and emmerdale, who also went to chads. not been able to say hi.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

cheethamgirl

« Reply #689 on: 20:46:33, 16/08/12 »
lozflan, we lived in Huxley Avenue, opposite the Temple.