Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752853 times)

cheethamgirl

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1440 on: 06:41:31, 10/03/17 »
Not quite right! The garages were between the Heywood St ends of Haydn (now Holst) Ave.
and Wordsworth; and the petrol station + later, car-wash were between Wordsworth and
Kelvin Grove!
Are you sure StooGol? I was able to see one end of those garages from my bedroom at the back of our house on Huxley avenue. My window looked out over the croft at the back of the little factory (corner of Huxley & Heywood streets) towards Kelvin Grove and I watched from my window the garages being demolished (1960's?) and the carwash and petrol station being built. If not the garages, then what earlier stood on the spot where the car wash and petrol station were built? I left the area in 1973 so my memory maybe faulty.

My elderly neighbour, who'd lived on Huxley since just after WW1, told me the old garages had been stables. When the demolition of the large houses on Heywood street was completed (around 1969) I was surprised to find that, from my window, I could (with binoculars) see the time on the Manchester Town Hall clock!
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

StooGol

« Reply #1441 on: 17:30:25, 10/03/17 »
Are you sure StooGol?

Yes, I'm sure, although there may have also been garages on the petrol station/
car wash site /before/ they appeared. That "little factory" (now a Gurdwara) was
a shroud works then - so I was told. There used to be (I think) a baby-wear shop
- or something of that ilk - in one of the private houses at that end of Huxley -
no doubt you remember it. The car wash + petrol staion did not arrive together -
the petrol station was there for quite some time before the car-wash came.

Barbara D

« Reply #1442 on: 19:00:15, 10/03/17 »
I think the shop next to the swimming baths was Lorenzini's Italian Coffee shop and ice cream parlour.  They were the first coffee shop in the area to have a Gaggia machine.  The noise ofit and the aroma used to entice folks in.  I loved the rare occasions we could afford to pop in, my Dad and me, so he could have an 'eyetalian' coffee and I would have a dish of water ice so cold it would make your head ache.  One of my school friends lived down St Marks Lane which ran around the back of the shops, off Cheetham Hill road, and we used to play in the graveyard opposite her house, as those tiny houses too were early 1800s and had no gardens.  St Marks Lane kids had a bonfire every Nov 5 and I recall one ear a lady's windows cracked with the heat.  Another friend lived at 29 Esmond Rd.  I do remember gas lights in some of the streets in the late fifties.  That Swindell's book looks interesting.  Might as well continue all the way down memory lane!

Barbara D

« Reply #1443 on: 19:04:15, 10/03/17 »
I remember swimming in cheetham baths, got my length certificate from there and then had a free pass to swim when I wanted to. We used to go from st chads, do you remember getting changed in a covered swimming pool area, there must have been two pools? Also it was freezing cold getting changed.. :(
When I used to go swimming with my dad he used to take me into the cafe next door and I had hot vimto, I remember sitting on high seats?

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1444 on: 09:00:34, 11/03/17 »
I remember going swimming with At Chad's , the "instructor" that was supposed to be teaching us to swim would walk up and down the shallow end with a long pole and told us to stick our heads under the water and hold our breaths , some would just put their noses in and then he would put the pole in the back of your neck and shove your head under , can you imagine that happening today

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1445 on: 13:27:42, 11/03/17 »
Yes, I'm sure, although there may have also been garages on the petrol station/
car wash site /before/ they appeared. That "little factory" (now a Gurdwara) was
a shroud works then - so I was told. There used to be (I think) a baby-wear shop
- or something of that ilk - in one of the private houses at that end of Huxley -
no doubt you remember it. The car wash + petrol staion did not arrive together -
the petrol station was there for quite some time before the car-wash came.

Those garages (and perhaps formerly stables) did indeed extend for two blocks. I understood that when the 3/4 storey 19th century houses which stood opposite them along Heywood Street were in their heyday, those were their stables then later garages. That factory, now Gurdwara did indeed produce 'Holland' a sort of cotton for shrouds. Max and Milly Falk (lovely couple) ran the front room shop at 53 Huxley Avenue selling ladies wear, hosiery and babywear.

MikeB

« Reply #1446 on: 11:15:12, 23/03/17 »
Hi everyone

I wonder if someone can help me. My father's family lived at 5 Kitchen Bank from around 1911 (my great grandparents) until around 1951 (my grandmother and my father). In 1964 my parents and I returned to live in the same street but it was then known as Paisley Terrace. Does anyone know why and when it changed its name.

I have a photograph of Kitchen Bank in 1908 (before the Crumpsall & Cheetham Hill Library was built around 1909-1911) and I also have a photograph of the Paisley Terrace ladies toilets sometime in the 1950/60's. In addition I have a 1907 Godfrey Edition Ordnance Survey Map of Broughton Park & Crumpsall which shows Kitchen Bank. Photographs of the library show the street immediately to the left of the building.

My grandmother died in the house, that had remained as a two-up two-down terrace house with an outside toilet and a tin bath (kept in the small external yard), in 1987. It has since been demolished as has most of the surrounding area but I still have fond memories of a house full of our family history.

So to sum up it appears that Kitchen Bank and Paisley Terrace are one and the same street but when and why did it change name sometime between 1951 and 1964?

Thanks.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1447 on: 08:58:41, 24/03/17 »
Can anyone help MikeB with his query?

Mac69

« Reply #1448 on: 21:20:06, 05/04/17 »
Hi Mike , Sorry I can not help with your question , but perhaps this photo might jog someone's memory .
« Last Edit: 21:25:59, 05/04/17 by Mac69 »

MikeB

« Reply #1449 on: 10:27:08, 06/04/17 »
Thanks Mac69. I do remember the sign now. Just didn't think anything of it then. It makes me even more interested in when and why it changed its name as it hadn't changed since the library was built in 1909-11.

Parky

« Reply #1450 on: 10:53:49, 06/04/17 »
I've too have  often wondered why names of streets were changed , my dad lived in birch st Bradford m/c which became birkett st.

hutch61

« Reply #1451 on: 11:11:30, 06/04/17 »
Hi.
I worked at the GPO for a long time and usually street /road names were changed if there were too many having the same name, you could have say a Mary street in 10 different districts around the Manchester area, and they could all be addressed as Mary street Manchester this lead to to many mis-sorts.
Once the post code came in that stop the problem immediately.
Hutch

lozflan

« Reply #1452 on: 14:25:40, 13/04/17 »
Having searched, Strangeways Hall,up came,British History Online.
Print is a bit small ,but lots of interesting facts about Cheetham.
There were half a dozen synagogues,some taken over from other faiths.Victoria Station built on a cemetery. Would that have belonged to the Workhouse?.
Names linked to the area, Lord Derby, Earl Ducie and of course the Cheetham's.
History back to the 12 hundreds,
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Mac69

« Reply #1453 on: 15:42:59, 19/04/17 »
I was born in Coke Street so was we Cheetham Hill ? Is Cheetham hill part Salford ?

hutch61

« Reply #1454 on: 16:14:38, 19/04/17 »
Hi Mac69
Cheetham Hill come under the Pre- Post Code of Manchester District 8,  Coke street bordered on the Salford/ Manchester boundery
and if in the Salford section would have been Salford 7.   Cheetham Hill has very been part of Salford.
Regards Hutch