Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752937 times)

Reptile

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1455 on: 21:39:05, 05/06/17 »
We moved to Cheetham Hill in approx 1966-67.  We lived on Cardinal Street near to St Luke's Church.  I started at Temple School in the third year.

I remember a little corner Shop "Holts" at the corner of Daimler Street and Alms Hill Road.

I remember Temple Cinema and the Temple Pub.  One of my classmate's parents were licensees.

I remember the Headmaster of Temple, the fearsome Mr Driver, told us an invented story (I hope) about a boy who was run over by a bus outside the nearby bus station who was so badly squashed there was no body.  He said they just came and put some sawdust on the stain...

I remember Crumpsall Library.  I later would take the bus into town to use the Central Library but soon learned that it was cheaper for me to buy the books than pay the fines...

I remember the Ukrainian shop on Cheetham Hill Road where we bought wonderful bread from Bradford amongst other things. I believe it is still there and still selling wonderful bread from the same bakery.

I also remember  the Chinese takeaway where we used buy chicken, mushroom and rice for a treat on a Friday.

I left in 1976 but my family only sold the house a few years ago.  It is still going strong.

Reptile

« Reply #1456 on: 22:47:19, 05/06/17 »
Still reading the thread (98 pages now)...

It seems I had a lucky escape regarding St Chads from what I've been reading.

I went to Temple school but we had a visit from Father Kamaitis from State Chads to sort out religious education in Sunday School.  I attended two or three of this sessions on a Sunday with my little brother.  We travelled from the bus stop outside the Temple Cinema.

The class was lead by Sister Julie who seemed ok but I just couldn't get into the stuff they they were teaching.  She told us that in the days the Bible was written, people lived for three hundred years.  I didn't buy it.  After a few weeks, we just stayed on the bus and went into town...

A few more weeks went by and we had another visit from Father Kamaitis.  Fortunately, my mum backed us and we stopped going...

O0

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1457 on: 10:50:08, 06/06/17 »
I went to Chads in the early to mid sixties, I didn't find it too bad, there were lots of kids from different backgrounds and mostly got along fine but the religious aspect did seem oppressive, we were regularly quizzed on whether we attended Mass on Sunday it was considered a mortal sin if missed, then there was a little book called the catechism, a series of Q&A's on the faith if a teacher asked one of these questions you'd better know the answer, no wonder I soon lapsed, the only priest I remember was Father Power, teachers Ms DeLury, Ms Tunney, Mr Saunders, sisters Philomena and Therese and Mr Keeley (head)

lozflan

« Reply #1458 on: 16:10:07, 06/06/17 »
What did I like about Chad's?  Walking home,sometimes in the company of  a girl, who became an actress,Margret Green, as she then was.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1459 on: 16:14:47, 06/06/17 »
Yes it was always good to head home  ;D

Reptile

« Reply #1460 on: 18:20:18, 12/06/17 »
This is the great granddad, Titanic shipbuilder, William Henry Kelly.

Downloaded the book this afternoon from Amazon and have started reading it.

Excellent book and has cured my 'reader's block....

:)

lozflan

« Reply #1461 on: 19:12:16, 09/07/17 »
Try ,The Gangs of Manchester,byAndrew Davies, about the late 1800s scuttlers. I put a post in General Chat, Books.

Reptile

« Reply #1462 on: 23:04:19, 09/07/17 »
Many thanks for the recommendation.  I've ordered a copy from Amazon.

lozflan

« Reply #1463 on: 10:02:40, 10/07/17 »
Most welcome. reptile. My family name crops up and although we are from the area,I hope it,s just coincidence.

Warren Shepherd

« Reply #1464 on: 19:51:17, 10/09/17 »
Hi there ,can anybody remember a young woman by the name of Maureen Savage lived at 1 Kelvin Grove in around 1963 ? I appreciate it's a long time ago but would love it if anybody knew her .

Nathan4733

« Reply #1465 on: 01:06:07, 21/09/17 »
Diid you know the Caplan's? Wolfie + Esther, with three sons - Sydney, David + Eric.

Esther and Wolfie were my grandparents. Wolfie passed away when I was 5. I take it you knew my father? I think we may have met?

bevhillsbrit

« Reply #1466 on: 22:55:12, 06/11/17 »

Being a St chad's lad myself I do remember well Mr. Saunder and Ms. Tunney.
Sister Philomena  was a tyrant. Many a time I would get into trouble and then was corrected by her. I was catching up with all the posts and also remember Martin Coffee. Not until I saw that name did it register than BANG...back to that time. I was at St Chad's between 62-67 I think. I lived on Elsworth Street right opposite the Rose & Crown Pub and walking distance to Chad's.
We moved away to Whitefield in January 1969 which was like moving to the moon. I loved my days in Elsworth Street and although I lived in the Shadow of Strangeways..always felt safe. Boddington;s Brewery fumes would waft our way if the wind was blowing in the right direction.
The Miles "News agent" was on Cheetham Hill Road and then across the road was the bakery. Great Jewish bread.
Oh the days....
I went to Chads in the early to mid sixties, I didn't find it too bad, there were lots of kids from different backgrounds and mostly got along fine but the religious aspect did seem oppressive, we were regularly quizzed on whether we attended Mass on Sunday it was considered a mortal sin if missed, then there was a little book called the catechism, a series of Q&A's on the faith if a teacher asked one of these questions you'd better know the answer, no wonder I soon lapsed, the only priest I remember was Father Power, teachers Ms DeLury, Ms Tunney, Mr Saunders, sisters Philomena and Therese and Mr Keeley (head)

bevhillsbrit

« Reply #1467 on: 22:58:55, 06/11/17 »
Saw quote a few St.Chad's posts on this wonderful Blog. Does anybody remember the day that the Television Camera's came to St Chad's to record a mass for the BBC Sunday Night Mass Program? It was quite the thing. Father K was the one I believe who celebrated the mass and I was an alter boy.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1468 on: 10:40:58, 07/11/17 »
I was at Chads around that time but never went to Mass there as I lived nearer to St Anne's Crumpsall but honestly I didn't go there much either, I left and went to St Clare's Blackley and left there in 1971 to start work when I was 15, couldn't wait.

Parky

« Reply #1469 on: 14:55:00, 07/11/17 »
Just wondered scl I know you knew my good pal jimmy smith but did you know a young lady who lived near st  Anne’s called Maria Keane.?