Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752728 times)

St Chads Lad

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1470 on: 15:02:36, 07/11/17 »

I knew a Keane family that lived on Greenhill rd but can't recall a Maria, however I do vaguely recall a Marie Keane that lived near the Robin Hood pub on Cheetham Hill rd. and I seem to recall Jimmy knew her better
« Last Edit: 15:10:42, 07/11/17 by St Chads Lad »

Parky

« Reply #1471 on: 15:10:30, 07/11/17 »
Ah, not to worry my friend ,I think she lived around if not on crescent rd.and she did know jimmy. Could be the same one,
« Last Edit: 15:18:03, 07/11/17 by Parky »

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1472 on: 15:21:29, 07/11/17 »
I don't know how familiar you are with the area but the Robin Hood is nearly opposite Crescent rd, so could it be the same young lady? I'm going back to the early 70's

Parky

« Reply #1473 on: 15:33:26, 07/11/17 »
It probably is the same young lady ,I’m talking about 71/72 ish I think she lived in a semi ( that narrows it down  ::) ) I could be wrong but I think she might have gone to st Gerard’s school.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1474 on: 15:41:32, 07/11/17 »
Sorry Parky I may have given you a bum steer she lived in a terraced street, your initial thought may be right, there are semi detatched houses on Crescent rd though

Parky

« Reply #1475 on: 15:51:47, 07/11/17 »
No problem but my memory is a bit foggy nowadays , I think it will be her same name and she knew jimmy ,too much of a coincidence

MikePich

« Reply #1476 on: 17:38:11, 13/11/17 »
Hi to all on here. Thanks CheethamGirl for starting this. I came across this forum by chance yesterday, and ended up reading until 4am! I went to Temple from 1962 to 1969. Those photos on the first few pages bring back so many memories. I remember Temple cinema every Saturday, and rocket man, and barley sticks from the Chemist shop opposite.

That picture of the Premier cinema on Cheetham Hill was taken from the corner of Esmond Road, right outside the Ukrainian Deli which was there for over 30 years until the late 90's. I remember the shop on the right of the picture was Tyson's shoe shop. The owner always had a beautiful sports car parked outside, but can't recall now what it was.

I clearly remember my Form teachers through the years. Miss Martin in year 1, before she got married(crushed me), Mrs Cuthel year 2 who always teased me mercilessly, Mrs King Year 3 just after she got married, and Mr Jones in year 4.

I still have all the class photos, and remember Kim Fletcher, Valerie, Maureen, Karen Royal(great smile), Alison Chadwick, Oris, who's dad had an ice cream van and would treat the whole class to ice creams and jellies every year on his birthday, Arnold, Paul(2), Alan, Malcolm, Ian, Douglas and Julie off the top of my head, and remember how we used to walk in single file up to Cheetham baths once a week. I'm in a school swimming team photo, but don't ever remember competing!

Can anyone remember the Post Office on Smedley Lane? There was a small shop next door where I would buy little jars of pineapple chunks in jelly, or frozen Jubilees during the long hot summers; which we don't seem to get any more.

Someone mentioned the flats at the bottom of Smedley Lane on Queens Road that did indeed look like a boat. In the middle there was an underpass, and on the right was a hardware store where my mother would ask me to get light bulbs. I always remember the smell of paraffin. On the left was a newsagents. I was always going in there to browse their collection of superman and flash and batman comics for ages before buying one. They used to see me coming, crossing the zebra crossing, and a pile of comics would be dumped on the counter ready for me!

I moved away late 70's, but have fond memories of those early years.

I too have just happened upon this forum. Like you, SmedleyLad I am in that school swimming team photo. I'm guessing you are last on the right. I too have all the other class photos and you are on the back row with the other tall boys like Arnold Senninger, Tarras Cochan, Tommy Kelly, Robert Simms and Paul Koabnik. I was always in the middle row (pulling a funny face!).

I lived in Bellingham Street (parallel to Elizabeth Street) until it was demolished in '69. It was a very multicultural Street. West Indians, Irish, Ukranian, Jewish families, etc. Strangely we knew two boys with the same name Tony Lyons - one West Indian and the other Irish - they lived about 10 doors away from each other.

My mum Olga used to work at Boyko's shop and after school we would often wait at the shop for her to finish work around 6.00pm. One time we (me and my brother Stefan) were left too close to a full outer of Kit Kats in the stock room - needless to say we tucked in.

I also remember regularly knocking the straw boaters off the heads of the girls that went to Notre Dame until one time a very athletic one of them caught up with me and gave a good dressing down.

Keep up the good work everybody.

Woodlands

« Reply #1477 on: 20:47:51, 29/11/17 »
Hi everyone just stumbled across this forum while thinking back when I used to live on woodlands road in the 60’s. Does anyone remember the name of the toy shop on the corner of woodlands road and Cheetham Hill Rd. I think it was something House. Can anyone put me out of my misery with its name. I used to get taken there every birthday and Christmas for a present. It’s been fun reading all your memories.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1478 on: 21:07:24, 29/11/17 »
I think you may mean Darlington house on the corner of Darlington street and  Cheetham Hill road opposite Woodlands road

Explorer

« Reply #1479 on: 18:44:11, 11/01/18 »

Anyone remember Zendles Grocery shop from 1940's-1970s ? Jewish grocery called Sandybank Stores at the top end of Cheetham Hill Road or maybe it was called Middleton Rd ? near King Davids Primary School. An old fashioned shop with long wooden counters and till. People queued...no self service then. Barrels of herring sometimes and sacks of potatoes.
Can't find any sign of it, no photos but my Grandfather owned it and then when he died my Aunty Betty ran it...a rather fierce lady but she did give is sweets when we visited the shop.

Ex Manc

« Reply #1480 on: 19:57:43, 15/01/18 »
I was born in 1945 and spent most of my young life at 12 Kelvin grove, cheetham staying wirh my grandparents and aunt. grandad had been a policemen and on our visits into "town", the city, men would doff their caps to him. He was very well respected. A perfect gentleman. He worked at belle Vue on security after he retired and I knew how him there. He cold arrange the BEST days out there, with me riding on the elephants head, helping clowns with their make up and watching the "deep sea divers"! He died when I was 13. I worshipped him.
I then would go to "town" with Grandma, on amazing shopping trips, being cherished as a special grandchild. My aunt, looked after gran and took her on many holidays abroad worked at the telephone exchange and leftmans. She was a member of the Halle choir and took me on holidays, ballets, Halle recitals. She was my champion.
I'm 72 now and have just had the grandfather clock that was given to him when he retired repaired. I treasure it. It reminds me of happy times every time it chimes. He was very popular. I will always remember them all.
I remember Mr tarski , who was very kind. He had the shop at the corner of Kelvin grove, compete with barrels of gherkins, olive oil and fish ( I think). I remember Leah's fish and chip shop, she sold pieces of fish for children for 3p.
It was the happiest time of my childhood being there.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1481 on: 20:02:54, 15/01/18 »
What a lovely childhood, how cherished you were and what fantastic memories

:)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Parky

« Reply #1482 on: 20:44:12, 15/01/18 »
Yes indeed O0

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1483 on: 21:17:13, 15/01/18 »
Yes great story, thanks for sharing :)
 Cheetham Hill was indeed a great place back then  O0

lozflan

« Reply #1484 on: 10:39:02, 16/01/18 »
Nice that more newbie's are joining in and bringing in more memories.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason