Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752727 times)

Beryl Dunn

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1485 on: 14:32:46, 27/02/18 »
I too remember Cheetham Hill swimming baths. It was freezing cold and there were no facilities. School swimming lessons were held there.
I also used to go swimming with my sisters and afterwards to Lorenzos for a hot vimpto drink. My sister and I had a nostalgic trip back to Cheetham Hill a couple of years ago. The street where we lived had been demolished along with the school we attended. We visited Levy's furniture shop and had a long chat with the current owner about old times. He was incredibly nice and welcoming. After leaving Cheetham Hill Road, my parents bought a house in Crumpsall.

lozflan

« Reply #1486 on: 14:40:09, 27/02/18 »
Welcome Beryl,there's lots to read on this Post. Didn't the footbath smell of carbolic?.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

StooGol

« Reply #1487 on: 00:46:06, 13/03/18 »
I take it you knew my father? I think we may have met?

Hi Nathan,
Yes we met several times! Tell your dad that all is forgiven - and to get in touch (my tel no. is still the same).

ijongor

« Reply #1488 on: 15:21:10, 19/03/18 »
I wonder if anyone can help me with some information. Is anyone aware of a tailor who worked at 36b Cheetham Hill Rd in the 1930s or 40s. Thank you very much.

Ala

« Reply #1489 on: 00:41:24, 04/04/18 »
I came across this forum a couple of weeks ago and when I read some of the posts I was blown away. I left Manchester, for Canada in '69 and haven't been back since. The posts about St. Chads - particularly some of the names... wow. I saw one post about blonde haired Ukrainian boys - one was called Roman. That had to be Dociminsky?! We played on the school football team together. Mr. Saunders and Mr. Woodlands ran the team.

And I am guessing you are Victor? 

I’ve been doing some recent local history  research and came upon this forum as a result earlier today - years after your post!

I remember when you emigrated.  We were in the same class.  I used to watch you boys playing football for the School on Smedley fields.  I lived on Smedley Lane so didn’t have far to go! 

Ala

« Reply #1490 on: 00:44:12, 04/04/18 »

Sounds like you may have been at Chads with my older brother and sister - their last years would have been around 60/61?? Some of the boys on my team were: Stefan Feniuk, Thomas Heveran, Roman Dociminski, Chris Grey, Alberto Credentino... We were "Crumpsall League Champions" in 1968/69. Just wondering if anyone out there would recognize any of these lads?

You missed off the love of my life - Anthony Keogh :smitten:

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1491 on: 09:32:04, 04/04/18 »
I can remember Joey Smith, Joe McCarrhy and Kevin Cook playing for Chads and the football shirts were far too big for us, also remember Saunders always ran the team.
« Last Edit: 09:38:08, 04/04/18 by St Chads Lad »

thedub

« Reply #1492 on: 21:53:36, 15/05/18 »
HI DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER GOING TO CHILTONS AROUND 68 AND69  I RECALL SOME NAMES JOHNNY EDWARDS FRANK YATES KEVIN BRADLEY   AND SOME OF THE GIRLS  NAMES SALLY SUSAN  ANN AND CAROL

bevhillsbrit

« Reply #1493 on: 21:32:53, 12/06/18 »

Hello Mike...I use to live on Elsworth sreet and moved in 1969 when the house was  torn down
. picture attached
cheers
phill

I too have just happened upon this forum. Like you, SmedleyLad I am in that school swimming team photo. I'm guessing you are last on the right. I too have all the other class photos and you are on the back row with the other tall boys like Arnold Senninger, Tarras Cochan, Tommy Kelly, Robert Simms and Paul Koabnik. I was always in the middle row (pulling a funny face!).

I lived in Bellingham Street (parallel to Elizabeth Street) until it was demolished in '69. It was a very multicultural Street. West Indians, Irish, Ukranian, Jewish families, etc. Strangely we knew two boys with the same name Tony Lyons - one West Indian and the other Irish - they lived about 10 doors away from each other.

My mum Olga used to work at Boyko's shop and after school we would often wait at the shop for her to finish work around 6.00pm. One time we (me and my brother Stefan) were left too close to a full outer of Kit Kats in the stock room - needless to say we tucked in.

I also remember regularly knocking the straw boaters off the heads of the girls that went to Notre Dame until one time a very athletic one of them caught up with me and gave a good dressing down.

Keep up the good work everybody.

bevhillsbrit

« Reply #1494 on: 21:39:25, 12/06/18 »

Good Grief-- I remember now you mention it Mr Saunders & Ms Tunny....Sister
Philomena was always on the war path.....[/color][/font][/size]
thanks for posting this memory reviver !!

I went to Chads in the early to mid sixties, I didn't find it too bad, there were lots of kids fro m different backgrounds and mostly got along fine but the religious aspect did seem oppressive, we were regularly quizzed on whether we attended Mass on Sunday it was considered a mortal sin if missed, then there was a little book called the catechism, a series of Q&A's on the faith if a teacher asked one of these questions you'd better know the answer, no wonder I soon lapsed, the only priest I remember was Father Power, teachers Ms DeLury, Ms Tunney, Mr Saunders, sisters Philomena and Therese and Mr Keeley (head)

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1495 on: 22:04:30, 12/06/18 »
You're welcome bevhillsbrit, happy days.  :)

lozflan

« Reply #1496 on: 09:41:54, 13/06/18 »
Nice that Bevhills still watching. Cheetham Girl also?   2011 how times fly' Pics have dried up though,but not on other sites.

Parky

« Reply #1497 on: 09:53:36, 13/06/18 »
Nice that Bevhills still watching. Cheetham Girl also?   2011 how times fly' Pics have dried up though,but not on other sites.
im unable to put pics on here loz ,  :(

lozflan

« Reply #1498 on: 11:01:51, 13/06/18 »
There was chat on the box this AM about the Grenfell area when it was slum.
One cold tap and leccy on one floor,outside lav,
That could have been us, C.H.late forty's. Leccy!  how how posh. Our gas mantle gave light and heat. Red Cardinal on floors .

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1499 on: 07:41:59, 14/06/18 »

I'm still enjoying reading all your posts on here. Thank you all for keeping it going. Hearing about Sister Philomena, well she still gives me the shivers!

By the way, I'm currently researching the murder which occurred in 1933 at 453 Cheetham Hill Road. A Mrs Frances Levin was found beaten to death in her living room and a vagrant, William Burtoft was executed for the crime exactly five months later. The murder was featured recently on the TV programme 'Murder, Mystery and my Family' (you can view the programme on You Tube (episode 7), and they examined the evidence and concluded Burtoft could not have done it. However, they made no suggestion as to who did it. Through my research I've found several possible suspects, however.

I'm trying, without success so far, to find a photo of the house, Claremont, which was about the second house along on Cheetham Hill Rd, just to the right after the top of Heywood St. The first house at the top of Heywood St, just to the right of the opening, was Dr Lee's house and surgery, then next to this were two large old semis, the first of which was Mrs Levin's house, and the adjoining house was that of Mr Wigoder, surgeon-dentist.  Next, there was a block of three tall houses with shops below them, then Beckenham Rd and then the Premier cinema. 

There are lots of photos online of the opposite side of Cheetham Hill Road, of the Greenhill Cinema and the top of Esmond Rd, which faced 453, but none of  Claremont itself. Whenever my mother and I used to walk past the house going up to 'the village', she used to point out Claremont as 'the murder house', since she had heard our older neighbours refer to it as such, but she had no idea who had been murdered there. The house is long demolished now. If anyone has photos of that corner of the south side of Cheetham Hill Rd between Heywood St and the Premier, I'd love to see them. I have a 1931 map and will try to upload an image from it.   
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'