Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752877 times)

cheethamgirl

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1560 on: 11:45:37, 24/01/19 »

No. But I think what Celeste is suggesting is that Gerald Stuart's descendants may have moved the business to Denton. Worth contacting them, maybe? If you do, I'd be inclined simply to say you are researching your family history.

Have you thought, though, of taking a DNA test with one of the family history companies? I did so and was able to help an Australian chap to identify who his unknown father was - it was my uncle!  Ancestry.com mostly has Americans using it, though I used it and found 280+ descendants of my Irish and Scots ancestors there. FindMyPast is more UK centric but doesn't have anything like the number of subscribers as Ancesty.com.  At the moment, though, FindMyPast are inviting anyone who has already submitted their DNA to another company, such as Ancestry.com, to submit it to FindMyPast, too, and they'll give you a free check against the subscribers to their company. It's a way of boosting their DNA bank. I've done so. All the companies have special offers a couple of times a year, so you can save on the fees if you pick your time. The best thing about it is that, whilst people can lie and obfuscate when it comes to family relationships,  DNA does not lie. 

By the way, though my DNA and family history are entirely Irish & Scots, I found one 'Jewish' cousin. Rose Shapiro lives in New York and always believed she was Jewish, but it transpired she was adopted (sold) from Ireland under the same circumstances as seen in the film 'Philomena'. She had no idea she was really Irish.   

Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

Julie Anne Ratcliffe

« Reply #1561 on: 11:57:48, 24/01/19 »
Yes I was thinking along the same lines as you when contacting the shop. I have been thinking of doing a DNA Test for a while but didn't know if it would tell me much. After what you have said I am going to give it a go and see what ethnicity I am and see if it throws up any middle eastern roots. I was left with a specially made key ring from Israel when my mum passed away and some Nativity figures made of olive wood from Jerusalem

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1562 on: 12:00:18, 24/01/19 »
I wish you the very best of luck in your quest, Julie. Do let us know how you get on. I'm a researcher and can always suggest places to search once you get a clue who you might be looking for.  O0

Julie Anne Ratcliffe

« Reply #1563 on: 12:05:13, 24/01/19 »
Thank you, I will

Collegiateboy

« Reply #1564 on: 11:16:51, 27/02/19 »
I used to work for Agfa-Geveart which had its Northern England warehouse on North St, near the old bowling alley , Mr Smith gave me a job there in 1972, Has anyone worked there or remembers it.

lozflan

« Reply #1565 on: 10:57:29, 01/03/19 »
Collegiateboy,I have seen a pic of the frontage,maybe Cheetham Girl knows of it.
Did you use the Butty shop close by?.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1566 on: 06:47:58, 02/03/19 »
Sorry, Collegiateboy. I know the company name but can't recall the location. Keep popping in here, though, as someone else reading your post may know more about it.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1567 on: 06:55:35, 02/03/19 »

By the way, if anyone has read my latest true crime book: 'The Cheetham Hill Murder - A Convenient Killing?'  I would love to hear what you think of it. This occurred in Cheetham in 1933, so a bit before the time scope of this thread, but some of you may recall, as I do, passing the house on Cheetham Hill Road (just around the corner at thetop of Heywood Street) and hearing local folks refer to it as 'the murder house'. Later on, it was demolished and a synagogue was built on the spot. The BBC TV programme 'Murder, Mystery and My Family' demonstrated that the homeless one-eyed man who was hanged for the murder of Mrs Frances Levin could not have committed the crime. My quest was to try and prove who did kill that respectable Jewish lady, so brutally and in her own front parlour. A shocking miscarriage of justice by police officers who had earlier been accused of corruption and by a newly appointed judge who acted outside of his authority.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1568 on: 10:50:28, 02/03/19 »
Was the Agfa building on the corner of Cheetham Hill rd. and Lord st. opposite side to St Chads church where Topps tiles is situated now?

Collegiateboy

« Reply #1569 on: 10:56:46, 02/03/19 »
No, it was at the end of North St, opposite the pub, it had a big yard and for delivery trucks which just to run as far Scotland. Mr Smith the manager, an ex RAF pilot employed quite a few local people. Quite a lot people worked there.

Collegiateboy

« Reply #1570 on: 11:05:58, 02/03/19 »
 I remember the synagogue in the 60/70s, it was small & next to newsagent who was a Georgie Best fan. There was a sports oval at the rear of houses, which were on higher ground & there were lots  of bushes  there.
We used to play football on the oval until the police came one day & chased us off.
In the 1960s a body was found in the alleys between Brideoak & Bellot Sts near Cheethan Hill Rd, I think it turned out to be a hit & run & the driver was caught a few days later

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1571 on: 11:56:21, 02/03/19 »
Was the sportsfield you related to the one behind the Premier picture house? If so I think it belonged to Chethams the entrance was on Waterloo rd.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1572 on: 14:31:40, 02/03/19 »
Yes, the sports field included a cricket club. I'm intrigued about the body found in the alley near Brideoak St, as there was an elderly Jewish man named Davis (no relation, so far as I know, to the murder victim Mrs Frances Levin, whose maiden name was also Davis) murdered in the same manner as Mrs Levin (beaten about the skull whilst sleeping) at his home, 35 Brideoak St. That was in 1966 and the police never solved the case. The time gap between Mrs Levin's 1933 murder and the 1966 murder of Mr Davis would make it unlikely it was the same killer, but there are similarities.  Most perplexing.  ???

Collegiateboy

« Reply #1573 on: 10:58:12, 03/03/19 »
All that I recall about this case  was what had been written about it  in the Manchester Evening News paper. I can't remember any names or dates, it might have even been in the early 70s
A body was found in the back alley in the morning and at first the police suspected it was a murder. A few weeks another story appeared in which reported that a man had been arrested, and that it had been a hit and run and that the driver had dragged the body into the alley.

Collegiateboy

« Reply #1574 on: 11:04:57, 03/03/19 »
Yes the sports fields  were behind the ABC Premier. You get onto  by climbing over the wall near there, where there were some old air raid shelters used as changing rooms.