Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752789 times)

lozflan

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1620 on: 16:47:04, 05/06/20 »
Don Arden,born Levy from Cheetham Hill. Father of Sharon Osbourne.
Manager of ,or had dealings with,
ELO
SmallFaces.
Gene Vincent.
Black Sabbath.
Wizard.
Elkie Brooks.
Lynsey de Paul.
Nashville Teens
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
It's all on WIKI a dodgy Character,but where was he born and lived. Anyone know?.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

pianoman

« Reply #1621 on: 20:42:29, 05/06/20 »
Yes that's exactly the memory I have of him. As for Sister Theresa, I was there the day she had a bit of a breakdown in assembly and started to scream and cry uncontrollably. Mrs Greenwood had to take her out and we never saw her again. Sister Michael Mary took over if memory serves me correctly. She was quite fierce.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1622 on: 20:54:16, 05/06/20 »
I seem also to remember the bus taking us to Sharp St. for dinners in the early years before the canteen was built on Stocks st. The CIS tower was under construction at that time too.

pianoman

« Reply #1623 on: 21:09:54, 05/06/20 »
Hi i was born and bred in Cheetham Hill. (Warburton Street 1959) I went to St Chads and walked nearly everyday, unless we got the bus which was 3d. Sister Phillomena washed my mouth with carbolic soap I remember I said the "s" word. I remember Mrs Tunney retiring and she recieved a chair as a present. Mrs fielding was one of my teachers as was Mrs Greenwood.
No one has mentioned that the school was supposedly haunted and that there was an old convent which was off limits but I went exploring one day.
There used to be three brothers that lived at the end house on Huxley avenue opposite the corner shop and chip shop. They were Ukraine and all had blonde curly hair, Ambrose Emile and Roman. ... Memories!!

Hi, I was also in the same class as you. I came to St Chads in 1969 aged 9. I remember Ambrose (Domicinsky?) Also Danny O'Brian an Gino Scia Scia. I left in 71 to go to St Peters. Do you remember if we were the last to at the old school before it moved? My name is Colin.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1624 on: 21:18:46, 05/06/20 »
The old building definitely had a creepy atmosphere, my mother was a cleaner at the school and and I used to stay behind with her when I was a nipper, it was very eerie after everyone left.

pianoman

« Reply #1625 on: 21:23:14, 05/06/20 »
I had to stay in the school on my own once. There was a white door from the assembly room which was a bit odd and it led to an attic room. It was supposed to be haunted so I went for a look around.. I didn't stay there too long lol!

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1626 on: 21:36:20, 05/06/20 »
Do you mean the hall at the top of the stairs? Was the door off the stair landing as you reached the top of the stairs on the right as you turned left towards the hall?

pianoman

« Reply #1627 on: 21:39:49, 05/06/20 »
Yes, that's it!

I only ever went to the canteen as I didn't get there till 69. Semolina and jam...

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1628 on: 21:45:58, 05/06/20 »
There was a kid in our class that would never want to eat his dinner, but unfortunately his mother was a dinner lady and she'd stand over him and made sure he ate it.  ;D

pianoman

« Reply #1629 on: 22:06:56, 05/06/20 »
Mrs Greenwood was always a bit off with me. I remember my last day there when we we all in the church grounds at the front. We'd all just got our 11+ results and I went over to tell her I'd passed. She said "I know". No congratulations or anything. I then said I'm going to learn the piano at my new school and she said " You'll never be able to play the piano". I never forgot it. After 40 years of playing the keyboards in various bands I can still hear her saying it to me......

pianoman

« Reply #1630 on: 23:21:08, 05/06/20 »
I stumbled across the website today and it was lovely to read the posts.  I enjoyed reading the post about Alfred Holdsworth and his family history.

My name is Lynda born in 1951 and brought up in the Waterloo Road area of Cheetham.

Many happy memories.  I also went to Temple Primary. and when I was about 6 went to Cheetwood.  I remember a gir called Diane Shelmerdine and a girl called Anita who lived in the houses at the side of the school i used to roll down the grass in front of it.  Mrs Pollicks had a sweet shop at the bottom of Waterloo Road  round the corner  from the Cricketers Pub on Bury Old Road,  TheJewish bakers across the road fom my grandparents house.  I remember the delicious  smell of his bread and cakes.  He used to stand at tbe door with his white hat and apron his face with flour on it.  The coalman and the ice cream drawn by a pony Gran ellis the cobbled  streets .  The red 26 bus that wen t from  Cannon Street to Blackley.  On hot days picking tbe pitch up from between the cobbles with a stick.  Ci derella slippers clicky click on the pavements.  Cliff Richard tbe Young Ones.  In those days your front door wS always open.   My dad made me a guider and I used to come down tbe hill in front of Strangeways Prison, sadly gone now and flat use for a car park.  Bonfire night collecting wood and making a swing on the old fashioned gas lights.

Anyone have similar  memories of those great years
Hi Linda, my name is Colin and I was born in 1960. I also went to Cheetwood until I was 9. I also remember rolling down the grass at Kennet House next to the school. I used to live in the old flats at the top of Strangeways and we also used to run our guiders down the hill. I René a girl at school called Gillian Shelmerdine. She might be Diane's younger sister? Memory isn't as good these days but the Halfpenny's and Hardmans went to Cheetwood as well. Mr Bobker was our headmaster.

pianoman

« Reply #1631 on: 23:21:58, 05/06/20 »
René? I mean remember lol :)

pianoman

« Reply #1632 on: 23:31:44, 05/06/20 »
Hi ,I have just found this site. Iwas born in 1949 in what we called The Buildings, york Buildings ,sandwiched betwen LHD dairies and the ice palace on one side and lancaster Buildings and Srangeways on the other. I went to St. Chads then to Notre Dame. I remember Lorenzinis and vimto ice lollies. I remember going to the Temple pictures on a saturday morning and being absolutely awe struck by mohican indians in canoes. My mum worked at the Empire building as a make-through machinist-mens overcoates. There was a chippy I would die for ,opposite the dairy, where you took your own dish in. Then there was the Jewish hospital, where my dad carried me when I fell on a broken bottle whenI was seven, dont know about you but we did not have a car and we did not get electricity till I was nine. We had gas mantles. I remember Lizzie park and always getting pushed off the swings by some other children.The Jewish bakers was great at the bottom of Derby street on waterloo road . Iremember the horse troughs and always wanted to be picked up to look into them.I could go on for hoursbut I wont. Thanks
Hi, how long did you live in the flats? I got there as a five year old in 65 Lancaster Buildings. My aunt Dolly lived there her family name was Finnerty, Doris, Pauline, Francis were the eldest kids. May have been after your time

resurrection89

« Reply #1633 on: 11:42:08, 28/07/20 »
Hey all - my name is Mark and i'm new to the forums.

I joined to see if i could find out some information for my parents (Wayne & Bonnie Jones[Mackinnon]) about a specific location on Cheetham Hill Road. Apparently there was an old dentist shop, in a victorian? style house somewhere near the temple picture house. The location is now demolished according to google maps / research so i'm hoping someone here might have some info or old images of this part of Cheetham hill :)

Hope you are all well and any help appreciated.

:D
Mark Jones
:)

cheethamgirl

« Reply #1634 on: 11:53:01, 28/07/20 »
Hello Mark,

I lived on Huxley Ave, which is the road opp The Temple Cinema, and my parents once walked me to a dentist which was in one of the houses down Cheetham Hill Rd from the Temple, but not as far down, I think, as Queen's Rd. It was horrible. He had a gold tooth and looked like Boris Karloff. I think he was foreign, Eastern European, maybe. He had the most horrific dentist's chair, yellow with all sorts of arms coming out of it, and he administered the first anaesthetic I had for an extraction.  Might this be the dentist you mean? Luckily, I never went to him again, as I changed schools from St Chads to St Clare's in Blackley, and they had a school dentist who was better with children and had more modern looking equipment. h
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'