Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752843 times)

Ned

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1665 on: 10:00:35, 09/05/21 »
Hello everyone .... my first time on this site. I was born at 45 Orford Street C.H. in 1956 (home birth of course). Does anyone have any photos of that area of the 1950s (or earlier or later) or know of where I can obtain them? Many thanks.

REUBEN LAZARUS

« Reply #1666 on: 00:26:45, 10/05/21 »
WELCOME NED I WAS BORN 31/12/1938 LEFT MANCHESTER FOR MELBOURNE TO DRIVE TRAMCARS IN 1967.I WOULD TRY MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS FOR PHOTOS FOR 1950 DATES

BEEN BACK A FEW TIMES...

Kath maudsley( grundy)

« Reply #1667 on: 18:55:14, 25/08/21 »
My family lived on Hampstead st off Waterloo rd,when the murder occurred the police came to every house to interview any males 16 or over my older brothers one17 one 18 were frightened to death as everyone was. Saying that the police were pressure to get someone for the murder they never did that I know

les1936

« Reply #1668 on: 20:40:50, 25/08/21 »

Hi,
My mother, Irene was born in Egmont St in the 1920's My grandfather Arthur Hood was a policeman and when off duty used to drink in the The Woodlands. Does anyone have a picture of the pub, long gone now as I cannot find any details of it.
Thank You.

We lived in Shirley Road in the 50/60s and I remember the Woodlands from my childhood  though I have no photos.  It was on Woodlands Road where it met Shirley Road.   I remember  a substantial modern looking building, with a low brick wall at the front and a curving tarmac drive quite steep down to what must have been parking spaces. with a very tall brick wall when you looked up to the hotel level which was useful for ball games when it wasnt open.  I think there was a bowling green behind but I dont know whether it belonged to the pub.   Sorry thats all I can recall, we moved away before I was old enough to go inside

les1936

« Reply #1669 on: 21:00:47, 25/08/21 »
my last message was a reply to Phantom 123 on page 111  I quoted that message thinking it would refer back but I keep getting the reply system wrong!

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1670 on: 21:12:21, 25/08/21 »
We used to play footie on the Woodies car park in the 60's, old Tobin the landlord used to chase us off. ;D

Rat_ Catcher

« Reply #1671 on: 14:44:32, 07/09/21 »
Yes , I also remember The Woodlands from my childhood - remember well the ( what seemed a very steep decline to a young lad ) from the top of Shirley Road into the car park  - this decline was perfect for a white knuckle ride  down on my mates " bogey " . Happy Times  .       
At some point The Woodlands changed its name to Woodies i seem to remember . Less happy memory was one of the lads i grew up with being killed in some incident inside . Such events are more common these days but were relatively rare back then ( prob around 1978 ish ) .

St Chads Lad

« Reply #1672 on: 15:03:11, 07/09/21 »
 ;D  Yes the ramp into the carpark off Shirley rd. started as a gentle slope then became a steep incline, in the cold winters we had back then we would make a 'slide' in the frozen snow down it, not for the faint hearted.  ;D
    Happy days.  :)

Norma Huxter nee Boulton

« Reply #1673 on: 15:06:20, 18/10/21 »
Just saw this particular forum after visiting the one specifically for Manchester Central Grammar School

I remember Adrian Hope and his family, they attended St Luke's church

Born October 1945 in Crumpsall Hospital and lived for 12 or so years on Shirley Road, opposite the clubhouse.   Went to Cheetham Collegiate School before MCGS.  Spent my formative years with my cousin Elaine Harrison and friend Adrian Hope foraging around the Cheetham Hill area, from Heaton Park, Crumpsall Park to the Elizabeth St. Playground and everywhere in between.   Read some of the earlier blogs - lots of names and places sound familiar but all a little fuzzy now.  Currently live in a small country town in Virginia, USA, about as far apart in many ways from Cheetham Hill as you can get!

desdoran

« Reply #1674 on: 08:53:59, 21/10/21 »
Hi, Cheetham Girl. I used to live at Foxwell Street, Cheetham Hill on one o fthe terraced houses now demolished. I also went to St Chads during the sixties before moving to the now infamous council house estate - Hattersley. My memories of Cheetham Hill are very positive and include messing around on Barney's Tip, going to the Temple Cinema on Saturday, getting the bus to St Chads from the corner of Queens Road (we were give thrupence coins for this?), being forced to write with my right hand (I am left-handed), the Jewish Bakers on Cheetham Hill Road, bonfires and fireworks, buying ice cream by the slice on a plate (and using our own wafers), spending summer days walking to either Queens Park of Heaton Park. Lots of similarities with your own experience of that time :)

lozflan

« Reply #1675 on: 09:22:05, 21/10/21 »
Many generations lived in Cheetham Hill in a Time Warp,nothing ever changed,no cars in the streets,parked or otherwise. Local jobs.
Swept away by Town Hall planners. Where did they live? in some leafy suburb?.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Jeg

« Reply #1676 on: 09:39:40, 24/10/21 »
We lived on Bellot street  62- 67. Having moved from Harperhey. I attended St Thomas a Cantabury Junior school.Then on to Stockport. 1

lozflan

« Reply #1677 on: 09:43:17, 25/10/21 »
The streets were full of kids,miss that, most went to same school.
Waiting outside the boozer,the day of annual charabanc day trip,coppers thrown to kids.
Knew,like many,what the inside of a pawn shop looked like.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Plumduff

« Reply #1678 on: 15:26:13, 27/10/21 »
Hi remember cheetham Hill very well went to St Chads from1947 untill1955 our family lived on Woodlands Road on left hand side if we had lived on the right hand side I would have had to go to St Annes in Crumpsall.Remember headmaster at St chads Gus Travers followed by Tommy Keeley who then became a priest I believe.My brothers best mate at St Chads was Nat Jacobs who became a well known boxer

Plumduff

« Reply #1679 on: 16:28:15, 01/11/21 »
Just a further memory of being at St Chads school,going to school dinners at Sharp Street Ragged school food wasn't to bad but hated the white sauce that covered the fish dinner every Friday,still can't stand it to this day.What tended to put you off going there was the smell of the bone works at Red Bank and the CWS Tobacco factory almost next door to where we sat for dinner.After dinner we used to make our way back to St Chads via the old burial ground and passing Corey's Spring Factory.