Author Topic: cheetham hill and ice cream makers  (Read 16657 times)

JONNO

Re: cheetham hill and ice cream makers
« Reply #15 on: 09:11:02, 13/07/12 »
Here's an interesting site about Manchester's Italian community - including ice cream makers (although Serettis aren't mentioned).

http://www.ancoatslittleitaly.com/

My daughter and grandchildren arrived from Italy yesterday to escape the heat for a month! They'll certainly do that! Dad, who is Italian, has to carry on working in the 30+ temperatures.

dooron

« Reply #16 on: 18:06:54, 13/07/12 »
cheetham girl and all....ice cream makers  ::)

'which' suggested the cuisinart professional i believe at £225.00 to £250.  and i think a much cheaper lakeland maker....obviously the difference between these and also the semi pro italian jobs at £350. + is the ability to just chuck the stuff in and wait half an hour for a pro job to emerge...food for thought - so to speak

my wife says why don't i just put a bowl of mix in the freezer - take it out every hour or so and whisk it - point taken although when will ladies ever learn about men and their toys !!!...it just sound like a lot of faffing about to me

i did watch a fascinating little youtube video the other evening - as follows...put milk, milk powder, a bit of sugar and any flavour/colouring into a plastic bag and tie/seal securely......take a larger plastic bag and put plenty of ice cubes in and a generous sprinkling of salt.   place the small bag of mix inside the big ice filled bag and tie

now for the high tech part ...just shake/wave about /jiggle the bags for 3-5 minutes and amazingly there before your very eyes ladies and gentlemen you tip out a ball of pretty solid ice cream ---gelato for the cheapskate and thrifty

i couldn't tell exactly the consistency but a man tucked in with a spoon and looked quite pleased ....mmmmm   8)

leskay

« Reply #17 on: 03:17:04, 07/06/14 »
Hello Mark , its quite a few years since you posted about your grandads Ice cream shop on Garnett Street, but I have only just joined and spotted your message .. Hopefully you may still be a member and see this post ..
I used to babysit you and your sister Janet and brother Michael about 50 years ago when I was about 14, I wasn't that much older than your Michael but Rita trusted me with you when you were a baby .... I knew your Mum Rita and Dad Louis very well and Margaret and her husband who later sold Burgers and Bacon Balms on Salford market from the Ice cream Van .... I also remember your grandparents ..
 I was always on Garnett Street after school as my mam worked first at Hiltons Greengrocers  then at Westons ladies and childrens wear shop .. I loved to listen to the gossip of the customers and even helped out serving at busy times ... 
I once got told off by your Dad when he saw me in the Egerton Pub at the back of Chiltons Dance Hall up Cheetham Hill when I was about 16, even though  I only used to have a pineapple juice, your Mum said he was very strict about underage drinkers and would have told my mam if he had seen me in there again , I wouldn't mind but I was engaged to my now husband who was 20 and there was never anybody in the snug where we could sit and snuggle up on the cold winter nights when Chiltons wasn't open for modern dance.. For teenagers it was open Sunday Wednesday and Fridays ,the other nights were ballroom and latin which I regret not going to now as when we did start classes in our 30s it was much harder to learn ...
 Hope you catch this message at some time ...Regards  Margaret
Hello everyone, Im brand new to the forum and not quite sure if Im posting this correctly.I came accross your site doing a google search for old photos of cheetham hill in the 60s and 70s. I was amazed to come accross posts for the chippy on garnett street (the owner was called stan smith) because we lived a couple of doors away numbers 46 & 48 Seretti"s Ice cream. My grandfather Marco Seretti set up the making and selling of ice cream helped by my mum and auntie. We were a couple of doors away from the Dover Castle pub which is still standing !! My mum was called Rita and my auntie is Margaret, it would be lovely to hear from anyone who remembers my family or better still the fantastic ice cream they made.
I used to be in the ice cream van with my dad at the bottom of Thomas Street on the corner of Woolworths and spent many a day walking up and down cheetham village to relieve the boredom. I just hope Im posting this correctly because Im unable to get to posts I originally read through google.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #18 on: 07:55:57, 07/06/14 »
cheetham girl and all....ice cream makers  ::)

'which' suggested the cuisinart professional i believe at £225.00 to £250.  and i think a much cheaper lakeland maker....obviously the difference between these and also the semi pro italian jobs at £350. + is the ability to just chuck the stuff in and wait half an hour for a pro job to emerge...food for thought - so to speak

my wife says why don't i just put a bowl of mix in the freezer - take it out every hour or so and whisk it - point taken although when will ladies ever learn about men and their toys !!!...it just sound like a lot of faffing about to me

i did watch a fascinating little youtube video the other evening - as follows...put milk, milk powder, a bit of sugar and any flavour/colouring into a plastic bag and tie/seal securely......take a larger plastic bag and put plenty of ice cubes in and a generous sprinkling of salt.   place the small bag of mix inside the big ice filled bag and tie

now for the high tech part ...just shake/wave about /jiggle the bags for 3-5 minutes and amazingly there before your very eyes ladies and gentlemen you tip out a ball of pretty solid ice cream ---gelato for the cheapskate and thrifty

i couldn't tell exactly the consistency but a man tucked in with a spoon and looked quite pleased ....mmmmm   8)

Hi Dooron,

I bought my husband an ice cream maker for Christmas and he loves it. It was by Andrew James (no, I'd never heard of the brand either, but reasonably priced and came highly recommended by other Amazon customers). It came with a good recipe book and is one of the more silent models - some are very noisy.

Anyway, it makes lovely effort free ices, mostly using cream and flavourings, or sometimes custard or yoghourt. My favourite one is maple and pecan (just adding maple syrup and finely chopped pecan nuts to cream and sugar). Coffee and walnut is lovely too, but we look forward to using some of the soft fruits from our garden.

When I was a kid and used to buy ice cream, I had the idea that 'vanilla flavoured' meant no flavouring, ie 'plain'. Now that I know better, I love vanilla and use it a lot in cooking. I also scent my home with vanilla oil. It brings back warm memories of the lovely ices we used to get from Seretti's, Rea's and those other Italian ice cream manufacturers.

Anyone else love the raspberry vinegar they used to trickle on the ice creams? Happy days.
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 08:09:02, 07/06/14 »
Quote:

Anyone else love the raspberry vinegar they used to trickle on the ice creams?

Is that what it was called, I looked for it in the shops and couldn't find it so I trickled raspberry milkshake liquid over the icecream ;)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

cheethamgirl

« Reply #20 on: 09:13:36, 07/06/14 »
Hi Celeste.

Yes, the ice cream vendors used to call it 'raspberry sauce' but I saw a cookery show with the theme 'tastes of yesterday' and they were making raspberry sauce for ice cream and explained it was really raspberry vinegar (sort of semi sweetened). It was not thickened but thin and runny. There should be a recipe for it, if googled.

It was much nicer, I think, than some of these sweetened syrupy sauces they now sell for ice cream.  ::)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 11:12:41, 07/06/14 »
Thanks D

I shall have a google :)

buckleyst.

« Reply #22 on: 00:19:01, 29/01/15 »
Hello
Not sure this subject is still current.
However I use to visit my Grandparents in Buckley St. and always lookforward the the horse drawn ice cream cart making its way slowly down the cobbled street. I remember only ever having the ' twist ' cone and the old man having a long white moustash and using a wooden spatula to scoop out the ice cream.
I heard that he died in a road accident on Great Clowes street, does any one remember this?

oldron

« Reply #23 on: 14:09:23, 29/01/15 »
Hi, Buckley Street.
I remember the 'Ice-cream' salesmen. In Cheetham, he came to us on a bike. Actually a 'trike'
He had a tri-cycle with a load of ice-cream produced that morning and stored in a cold-box mounted on the front of his trike! sold as fast as possible - for 3D. (Threepence) a portion.
More later:

« Last Edit: 14:23:36, 29/01/15 by oldron »

bigmds

« Reply #24 on: 16:57:01, 07/05/15 »
There is a Cheethams lolly wrapper 3d - see ebay start bid 99p

hutch61

« Reply #25 on: 15:28:51, 08/05/15 »
Hi Mark.
I remember your family very well I lived across Waterloo rd in Sycamore and remember Garnett st and your granddads Ice cream shop, I remember Rita she was a little older than me and Margret was a little younger I remember your gran also if I remember right was also called Margaret and old Joe I think that was his name who used to pull the hand cart around Hightown and didn't they keep the horses in a stable in Perceval street, I remember when your grandad Marco came back after the war and I think he opened a shop on the village... Happy times and let me tell you their ice cream was the best I've ever tasted and that goes right up till today, give my regards to all your family, they wont remember me but I certainly remember Seretti's, your grandparents were both lovely people.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #26 on: 10:53:04, 10/05/15 »
Whilst we're still on the ice cream topic, I must tell you the full and amusing story of the ice cream maker I bought hubby in 2012.

I'd ordered it and also their ice cream recipe book from Andrew James (still going well, btw), and they packed both items in a larger box which was designed to hold their much larger candy floss machine. I didn't think hubby was around, so I took the box into the dining room to unwrap it, intending to giftwrap it for his Christmas gift. He suddenly popped his head around the door and asked 'what's that?'. 'Don't look!', I yelled, it's a surprise for you for Christmas'.

Unfortunately, he'd caught sight of the words 'candy floss machine' and his expression was a mixture of deep disappointment and 'what's the silly cow bought now?' (yes, girls, you know that one, don't you?). On Christmas Day, as we and our family started tearing into our presents, our daughter exhorted her dad  to 'open your biggest prezzie first'.  Crestfallen and fearful, he began churlishly to tear off the giftwrap. When eventually he opened the 'candy floss machine' box and saw his ice cream maker, his relief and delight were overwhelming!  Served him right for peeping.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 11:41:05, 10/05/15 »
Whilst we're still on the ice cream topic, I must tell you the full and amusing story of the ice cream maker I bought hubby in 2012.

I'd ordered it and also their ice cream recipe book from Andrew James (still going well, btw), and they packed both items in a larger box which was designed to hold their much larger candy floss machine. I didn't think hubby was around, so I took the box into the dining room to unwrap it, intending to giftwrap it for his Christmas gift. He suddenly popped his head around the door and asked 'what's that?'. 'Don't look!', I yelled, it's a surprise for you for Christmas'.

Unfortunately, he'd caught sight of the words 'candy floss machine' and his expression was a mixture of deep disappointment and 'what's the silly cow bought now?' (yes, girls, you know that one, don't you?). On Christmas Day, as we and our family started tearing into our presents, our daughter exhorted her dad  to 'open your biggest prezzie first'.  Crestfallen and fearful, he began churlishly to tear off the giftwrap. When eventually he opened the 'candy floss machine' box and saw his ice cream maker, his relief and delight were overwhelming!  Served him right for peeping.

:)

Does he still use it?

I've often thought about buying one

cheethamgirl

« Reply #28 on: 13:05:57, 10/05/15 »
Yes, he does, Celeste.

In winter, we have coffee ices, coconut & cardamom and also maple and walnut. At Christmas we do a sort of rum & raisin using mincemeat. If we have leftover fresh cream we often turn it into ice cream. We grow our own blackcurrants, raspberries, gooseberries and other fruits and as these are turning soft in late autumn I often put them into ice cream or sorbets. I make elderflower cordial using blossoms gathered locally in June and use some of the cordial to make gooseberry & elderflower ice cream.

Ice cream making machines can be very noisy when in operation but the Andrew James one isn't. Sometimes, if we don't eat all the ice cream that we've made and we put it in the freezer, it can come out very hard. The recipes recommend adding a little alcohol, say vodka, which keeps it smooth and adds a bit of a kick.  Another bonus is that you know exactly what's in your ices - no colourings, preservatives, artificial flavouring or trans fats etc. 

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 13:36:16, 10/05/15 »
Thanks, I shall buy an Andrew James one ;)

We 'inherited' a lot of blackberry bushes and I pick them to have with icecream