Author Topic: cheetham hill and ice cream makers  (Read 16656 times)

mark

cheetham hill and ice cream makers
« on: 14:54:08, 14/02/11 »
Hello everyone, Im brand new to the forum and not quite sure if Im posting this correctly.I came accross your site doing a google search for old photos of cheetham hill in the 60s and 70s. I was amazed to come accross posts for the chippy on garnett street (the owner was called stan smith) because we lived a couple of doors away numbers 46 & 48 Seretti"s Ice cream. My grandfather Marco Seretti set up the making and selling of ice cream helped by my mum and auntie. We were a couple of doors away from the Dover Castle pub which is still standing !! My mum was called Rita and my auntie is Margaret, it would be lovely to hear from anyone who remembers my family or better still the fantastic ice cream they made.
I used to be in the ice cream van with my dad at the bottom of Thomas Street on the corner of Woolworths and spent many a day walking up and down cheetham village to relieve the boredom. I just hope Im posting this correctly because Im unable to get to posts I originally read through google.

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: cheetham hill and ice cream makers
« Reply #1 on: 16:13:48, 14/02/11 »
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum, I'm sure someone will be along soon to chat about the area you grew up in and the icecream van :)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

migky

« Reply #2 on: 17:18:25, 18/02/11 »
Hi Mark & welcome :)

You might enjoy this site http://www.ancoatslittleitaly.com/

I'm a bit like Marmite

cheethamgirl

« Reply #3 on: 21:15:12, 19/03/11 »
Hi Mark,
Sorry, I only just noticed your post but I've been looking at the Cheetham Hill posts only.

I'm pretty sure I remember your family's ice cream.  Seretti's ices - very white water ices, as I recall. I loved them, but hated the later whippy soft ice cream.  Didn't you do the nice brown sugar cones, as well as the usual wafer ones?  And raspberry sauce (which was raspberry vinegar, I think?).  I'm the one who posted about the Garnet St chippy and I remember the Dover Castle too. We also had Rea's ices - were they competitors of yours?  Did we have ice cream wars in Cheetham as they did elsewhere? Anyway, Garnet St was clearly a foodie area, wasn't it?   ;D
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

dooron

« Reply #4 on: 16:36:29, 01/07/12 »
hello mark and everybody else...long time no answers it seems here

i used to live behind garnett st and i certainly do remember your fabulous ices, cones and tubs...i can still recall the clean milky vanilla taste and texture..a million miles from the manufactured fat sold as ice cream somehow and squirted out rather than forced into a cone due to its 'body' and consistency

i was never sure of the difference between ice cream, gelato, sorbet or sorbetta...and i notice that cheetham girl has called your family ice cream 'water ices'...so i am even more confused now

i understood that gelato was predominantly milk and sugar syrup whereas ice cream 'proper' involved full milk, cream made into a custard and then frozen etc...i once incidentally looked inside the garnett st ice cream factory of yours and saw amazing wooden paddle type machines and remember how ice cream could be made this way..i assume ice and salt was involved ?

i would be fascinated to know the basic process used by serettis

JONNO

« Reply #5 on: 21:21:34, 10/07/12 »
I remember Seretti's had a horse drawn ice cram van and the old man who drove it.  Later on, the old man  pushed a 'hand cart' type ice cream wagon around the streets and my pal and I used to help him push the cart in return for an ice cream - rapberry vinegar and all.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #6 on: 06:54:36, 11/07/12 »
Jonno, I loved that raspberry vinegar on the lovely Italian water ice.  Can you buy it anywhere these days?  I suppose I might find a recipe and make it.  Some of those push or cycle ice cream carts had the slogan 'Stop me and Buy one'.  I saw an ironic cartoon in the late 60s when the contraceptive pill came out - it depicted an ice cream seller's cart but selling the pill, with the slogan 'Buy me and Stop one'!  Apols, that was a bit risque but struck me as funny at the time.  Remember the old music hall song, 'Oh, Oh Antonio...and up would go Antonio and his ice cream cart'? 

JONNO

« Reply #7 on: 08:21:50, 11/07/12 »
A cornet  -or if you were really posh you had one of those sweet crunchy brown numbers or a wafer with a flake in the middle. It was incredible that those Italian families left the poverty of, mainly, southern Italy to live in what must have been something like another planet and were able to overcome the language barrier and the weather (!) to set up ice cream making businesses. I remeber Serettis but cannot think of the names of others although there were plenty about.

St Chads

« Reply #8 on: 09:08:15, 11/07/12 »
Jonno, I loved that raspberry vinegar on the lovely Italian water ice.  Can you buy it anywhere these days?  I suppose I might find a recipe and make it.  Some of those push or cycle ice cream carts had the slogan 'Stop me and Buy one'.  I saw an ironic cartoon in the late 60s when the contraceptive pill came out - it depicted an ice cream seller's cart but selling the pill, with the slogan 'Buy me and Stop one'!  Apols, that was a bit risque but struck me as funny at the time.  Remember the old music hall song, 'Oh, Oh Antonio...and up would go Antonio and his ice cream cart'?
   ;D ;D :D
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

cheethamgirl

« Reply #9 on: 09:42:07, 11/07/12 »
Top o' the mornin' to you Dorothy.  :)

dooron

« Reply #10 on: 21:08:06, 11/07/12 »
thought this might interest cheetham girl and anyone else re ice cream recipes etc -

http://blog.ice-cream-recipes.com/2012/04/titanic-ice-cream-remembered-century-on.html

cheethamgirl

« Reply #11 on: 06:07:05, 12/07/12 »
That's fascinating, dooron.  I imagine nowadays they'd have to show the first class ice cream on the menu as 'Freedom ice cream' for their US passengers to eat it! ;D

St Chads

« Reply #12 on: 08:37:41, 12/07/12 »
Top o' the mornin' to you Dorothy.  :)
..and the balance of the day to yourself .

a tad late Denise...     O0
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

dooron

« Reply #13 on: 21:48:38, 12/07/12 »
re ice cream companies...apparently the ice cream factory of serretti's on garnett st was once owned by lorenzini's

this is going back to the early 1900's...the lorenzini brothers appear to have spilt and i believe david lorenzini took over garnett st possibly 1920-ish and at some point moved away...maybe to cheetham hill road ???

i'm not sure when but obviously serretti's then moved in until i think 1969 - compulsory clearance- i assume serretti ice cream making ended ???

hopefully a serretti may join the discussion - and put me out of my 'misery' and let me know how they made their ices...i am planning for retirement and driving my wife mad with strong hints about a decent home ice cream maker...although my family name is irish descent my attempt at 'dolce vita' will include making ice cream (gelato type and sorbets) at home  :smitten:

cheethamgirl

« Reply #14 on: 08:07:19, 13/07/12 »
What a lovely aspiration, Dooron. I have been reading the reviews on Amazon for the new ice cream makers, since i do make ices and sorbets from the fruit I grow organically in my garden, and would like to make amore professional product.