Author Topic: Victoria  (Read 22346 times)

cheethamgirl

Re: Victoria
« Reply #15 on: 07:20:28, 10/08/11 »
I think I may have missed a thrad here, but what happened to The Temple pub?  It was such a gothically interesting building.  Is it no longer a pub?That whole block, with pub and cinema and the latter's adjacent sweet shop and barbers, was such a nice facade.  Tony's pic he posted on here once reminded me how nice it was.
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

tony dixon

« Reply #16 on: 18:44:23, 16/09/11 »

cheethamgirl

« Reply #17 on: 19:22:43, 16/09/11 »
Oh Tony, how heartbreaking!  Such lovely buildings, and look what they've replaced them with. Those modern red bricks won't be there in 160 years time.  I last saw the Temple in 1973.  I wouldn't be able to find my way around the neighbourhood now.  I', all for progress, but really ...
 :-\
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

lenny

« Reply #18 on: 04:59:53, 26/11/14 »
My first job when i left school in the early 60s was in lancaster avenue and my wage was 4 quid a week,,As you look at the picture you will see a man bending and looking in a window well a couple of doors this way i worked,,My job was to deliver hand and tea towels on a bike with a basket on the front to the offices around Picadilly,,I heard in them days that Lancaster Avenue was a womens prison,,What a shame its gone,,its good to see the picture though,,Full of nostalgia,,    Lenny,xxxx

Manx

« Reply #19 on: 13:46:00, 30/11/14 »
Lancaster Avenue entrance next to 15 Todd Street indeed ran via several 'inner yards' (shown on old maps) and came out on Fennel Street several doors down from the Douglas pub.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=7427&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=69573

Jim44

« Reply #20 on: 17:21:46, 30/11/14 »
I've walked through the Lancaster Arcade many a time, over the wooden floors, on my way to Victoria station.

I'm trying to place where the George iv pub was situated!

lenny

« Reply #21 on: 17:26:01, 30/11/14 »
Sorry mate i cant help you,,when i worked in lancaster Avenue i was only a kid of 15,,Lenny,xx

Manx

« Reply #22 on: 21:43:58, 30/11/14 »
The only George IV Pub listed on the pub database (per Slater's) was at 1 New George Street, off Shudehill that led directly into the Smithfield Market - not too far from Todd Street - - ?

Jim44

« Reply #23 on: 18:45:46, 01/12/14 »
Cheers Manx.   O0

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 07:38:18, 23/05/15 »
Lancaster Avenue entrance next to 15 Todd Street indeed ran via several 'inner yards' (shown on old maps) and came out on Fennel Street several doors down from the Douglas pub.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=7427&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=69573

My father's cafeteria was at No.14 opposite.

What was the building to the right of Lancaster Avenue for?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Manx

« Reply #25 on: 09:30:26, 23/05/15 »
Per Manchester Archive collection, this shot taken 1963, the print note reads...

Walker's Croft on extreme right of the picture as it is viewed.
Todd Street starts at the bottom of the picture and becomes Long Millgate as it curves to the left. Manchester Training College is on Long Millgate (to left of the Gatehouse as viewed) - this building was formerly Manchester Grammar School. The building opposite it (no.22 Long Millgate) was formerly a Printing Works.
Faraday House (no. 17 Todd Street) is in the bottom left of the pictue as viewed.
Picture probably taken from the top of the CIS Building.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=82658&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=80685
Indeed the shot was taken from CIS top floor and the answer is Faraday House.
« Last Edit: 10:17:29, 23/05/15 by Manx »

lozflan

« Reply #26 on: 11:12:10, 23/05/15 »
Fascinating site and pics. I will be bamboozled by it all until a map turns up.
My old map does show the Workhouse site ,a lot bigger than Victoria.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 21:01:39, 23/05/15 »
Anyone got a photo of the workhouse?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Jennifer

Re: Victoria/ Lancaster Avenue / Women's Prison
« Reply #28 on: 11:48:34, 10/05/16 »
I worked in Lancaster Avenue in 1970 for the Architect Gordon Parry & Partners.  I have not lived the UK since 1977.  However I was visiting Manchester this weekend, touring around the city and seeing all the changes.  The Avenue or Arcade is gone but I did see maps in the Central Library showing Lancaster Avenue but no other documentation about it.

I was wondering if anyone had any evidence of the fact that people used to make reference to the place having once been a women's prison?  So far I have not come up with anything via the internet.

Manx

« Reply #29 on: 12:45:41, 11/05/16 »
I found this archives 1965 shot, this is the other end of Lancaster avenue as mentioned in a previous post, a building frontage on Fennel Street, make of it what you will.

"Lancaster Avenue" can be seen above the ginnel entrance.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=9899&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=1641