Author Topic: Victoria  (Read 22345 times)

writson

Victoria
« on: 19:43:25, 05/03/11 »
Hi all, I am a new member to this excellent site and straight away I am asking for help. I am a Manchester lad although I have lived in Milnrow for many years. I was born on the Lawton Moor Estate Wythenshaw, but as a 16 yo we lived in the George IV pub in Smithfield Market, where my dad was the landlord. Manchester in the 60s was brilliant with lots to talk about but I want to ask if anyone can remember an arcade on the left hand side as you walked down toward Victoria Station from Corporation St, I think it was on Todd St. Its long gone now but at the time it was used to sell antiques. I have been told it was named the Victoria Arcade and was once a womens prison, but Ive searced most old Manchester sites without success. Hoping someone can help me. Thanks W.V. Ritson.
William Ritson

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Victoria
« Reply #1 on: 19:50:48, 05/03/11 »
Wasn't it called Lancaster Avenue?  My father owned the huge basement City Cafeteria in the 60s on Todd Street, (see the topic on Todd Street, there are pictures too)

Welcome to the forum :)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

writson

« Reply #2 on: 11:27:01, 06/03/11 »
Nothing showing on Google.
William Ritson

tony dixon

« Reply #3 on: 10:40:38, 07/03/11 »
Hi writson

Is this the place you're looking for ?

If so, it's Lancaster Avenue - image taken in 1973

tony dixon

« Reply #4 on: 10:42:13, 07/03/11 »
Sorry - forgot to post the link.

Here it is :

« Last Edit: 16:28:13, 25/07/14 by Chris »

writson

« Reply #5 on: 13:42:31, 07/03/11 »
Thanks Tony, spot on.
William Ritson

tony dixon

« Reply #6 on: 14:37:41, 07/03/11 »
No problem - glad to help.

Regarding your original post - about eighteen months ago a board member was enquiring about the possible existence of a women's prison which, so he heard, was situated in the Fennel Street area and this seems to tie in with the information you were given.

I did some pretty intensive research and came up with nothing.

So I was wondering if you'd heard or come across any written evidence to support the suggestion and if so can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

writson

« Reply #7 on: 15:30:07, 07/03/11 »
I have no real evidence about the  prison, but in the early 60s I used to have a pint in the Sugar Loaf on Withy Grove. All the newspaper workers went in as well. All I can remember, is one of the old proof readers telling me that  Victoria Avenue was once a womens prison. I like you have drawn a blank on the web. Good Luck
William Ritson

tony dixon

« Reply #8 on: 12:30:56, 08/03/11 »
I've enjoyed a pint or three in the Sugar Loaf in the early sixties and also The Old Moseley Arms further up Shudehill. I used to meet my work-mate, who was from Reddish, in there every Saturday night and it always had a full compliment of newspaper workers.
It's a crying shame how so many pubs disappeared / shut down in the area in the name of progress.
The Lower Turks Head - Moseley - The Lower Ship - The Grove - The New Boars Head -  The Swan With Two Necks and the Castle And Falcon on Bradshaw Street.
I always make a point of calling in the ** last man standing ** - The Hare And Hounds, when I go into town.
How much longer will that be there.

writson

« Reply #9 on: 21:52:16, 10/03/11 »
Hi Tony Check this link out that I came accross. May be a bit of help to you. http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/3587523711/
William Ritson

tony dixon

« Reply #10 on: 11:44:11, 11/03/11 »
Interesting post writson - thanks for sharing. More investigation under way.

Regards Tony.

pridoxide

« Reply #11 on: 13:57:25, 08/08/11 »
Hi, I don't know if you're still thinking about this topic but as I found this forum on Google searching for 'Lancaster Avenue women's prison' I thought I'd share what little I had read about it to get me interested (I'm too young to remember it myself!). A football memoir from 1981, called Kicked Into Touch by ex City apprentice Fred Eyre; Fred Eyre stationers opened in July 1967 in, I quote, 'an old women's prison in Lancaster Avenue. It was open plan and had three curving galleries of wood, cast iron and glass. It had been built in 1871 and ran from Fennel Street at one end to Todd Street, near Victoria Station, at the other end, where there was a rather dubious looking night club.' He goes on, 'the former cells were now converted into little offices and the cells which looked out onto the main thoroughfare were now little shops'.

I was sad to read that its no longer there, as a non-Manc its conversion from one use to another reminded me of The Chapel pub... The book's a good read all round.

pridoxide

« Reply #12 on: 14:00:28, 08/08/11 »
Sorry, I meant the Temple, not Chapel!

writson

« Reply #13 on: 14:08:41, 08/08/11 »
Hi, I don't know if you're still thinking about this topic but as I found this forum on Google searching for 'Lancaster Avenue women's prison' I thought I'd share what little I had read about it to get me interested (I'm too young to remember it myself!). A football memoir from 1981, called Kicked Into Touch by ex City apprentice Fred Eyre; Fred Eyre stationers opened in July 1967 in, I quote, 'an old women's prison in Lancaster Avenue. It was open plan and had three curving galleries of wood, cast iron and glass. It had been built in 1871 and ran from Fennel Street at one end to Todd Street, near Victoria Station, at the other end, where there was a rather dubious looking night club.' He goes on, 'the former cells were now converted into little offices and the cells which looked out onto the main thoroughfare were now little shops'.

I was sad to read that its no longer there, as a non-Manc its conversion from one use to another reminded me of The Chapel pub... The book's a good read all round.

Cheers pridoxide, great post. Must have settled a few questions not only for me but other posters. Thanks a lot
William Ritson

tony dixon

« Reply #14 on: 15:14:03, 08/08/11 »
Cheers pridoxide - I echo writson's sentiments.   O0