Author Topic: Does anyone know me?  (Read 8487 times)

blusal

Does anyone know me?
« on: 12:54:03, 09/03/11 »
Hi I was born Sally Hayward and lived in Hightown a suburb of Cheethamhill. My dad's name was Derek Hayward and my mum's name Maria. My dad left my mum, (before I was bornI think). I was brought up as Sally Mott. I have an extended familyi  Manchester, but I don't know them...can anyone help me? :)
Flawed but sensitive.. I continue my trek against life's petty injustices

sjb

Re: Does anyone know me?
« Reply #1 on: 19:13:24, 10/03/11 »
hi, no sorry, but good luck in your search
sjb

cheethamgirl

« Reply #2 on: 21:23:19, 19/03/11 »
Hello Blusal,

I'm sorry to see you didn't get many replies to your post.  What school did you go to?  That might help.  I went to St Chad's catholic  infants on Cheetham Hill rd/Stocks st. but many of my neighbourhood pals in Cheetham went to the Temple school.
 :)
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

sheilanz

« Reply #3 on: 04:16:29, 20/03/11 »
Maybe a few dates  might help..

Born when.....check the register at church and BD&M

School...where and when and any names remembered

Works at.......what trade said Father was and which place

Quick word with older relations( sweet talk them)

cheethamgirl

« Reply #4 on: 06:55:06, 20/03/11 »
Hi Blusal,

Sheilanz is right.  Always start your search by asking the old folks what they remember. 

If you have a copy of your birth certificate and your parents' marriage certificate (if not, both obtainable from General Records Office - google them) the m cert will name your grandparents.  Then you can google 'freeBMD', hit search, and search 'births' with just the name Hayward, and either Manchester, or 'all districts' for the approximate years around that in which your father was born, and his siblings' (if he had any) birth records should appear.  You could do the same for a period about 25 years earlier (plus or minus 5 years, then 10 years) using his parents' names from his marriage cert, to find the birth of his parents,and so on, going back to 1847 or so.

You could also google old Manchester street directories to see what if any Haywards were living in the area then.  Hightown, covered the Elizabeth St & Waterloo Rd area, didn't it?  I don't know if I imagined it, but I seem to recall a shop down there named Haywards.  Good luck.  O0      

blusal

« Reply #5 on: 08:43:15, 22/03/11 »
I started my schooling off in Colleagate, in Brideoak Street, then St Marks in Heath Street and then the Manchester High School of Art in Strangeways (not the nick I hasten to add!!!)

:)

blusal

« Reply #6 on: 08:45:12, 22/03/11 »
Thanks for advice, the real problem is I have no relatives that I have met, from my fathers side...I suppose it's crazy now looking, but I have always wondered about my father's family

sheilanz

« Reply #7 on: 08:51:17, 22/03/11 »
If at first  U dont succeed,try again.
Do as it has been suggested,check the Census/Births,deaths etc.....Be brave and go and meet the
one you do know,its not your fault he took off,
go on shake him to the core when U find him
It takes time to find these things BUT if you really
want to know dig in for a long haul,
Nothing comes for nothing remember

cheethamgirl

« Reply #8 on: 09:40:37, 22/03/11 »
Hello Blusal,  I did a bit of googling and found the following, which may be of interest to you:

at: www.lan-opc.org.uk/Manchester/Cheetham/ebeneezer/marriages_1868-1896.html

2 Jan 1871 marriage at Eenezer chapel, Cheetham, of John Foden, aged 40, pattern maker, widower, of 61 Collyhurst St, to Ann Hayward, aged 28 spinster, of  139 Collyhurst Old Rd.  Groom's father: William Foden, engine fitter; bride's father: Thomas Hayward, railway clerk. Witnesses: Thomas Hayward & Nellie Foden, married by ceertificate by Wm L. Appleby.  [I wonder if messrs Fodens were connected with the famous Foden's company in Manchester?].

At the same site:
Baptism 22 March 1877 at United Methodist Free Church (stock's chapel), Cheetham, James Arthur Hayward, child of Robert Hayward & Elizabeth - abode: 10 Chestnut St., Hightown; age when baptised: 11 weeks, baptised by JS Balmer.

Some of these names & addresses may be relevant when you start getting birth & marriage certificates.  The marriage witness Thomas Hayward might be the bride's father but is more likely to be her brother, as it was more usual to have someone of one's own generation (a friend or sibling) as a witness.

Good luck with your research.  Would love to hear how you progress.  Hope some of the Foden's millions come your way.   ;) 

blusal

« Reply #9 on: 15:21:10, 22/03/11 »
Thanks Cheethamgirl I will check it out :D

nortonm

« Reply #10 on: 23:41:21, 03/03/17 »
Sorry, I don't know any of your family, but I remember you or at least I think I do, are you Bennett Mott's sister?