Author Topic: Old Schools!  (Read 88493 times)

MARY 7

Re: Old Schools!
« Reply #75 on: 13:16:56, 10/11/11 »
i cant recall the browns.who did he murder.?

St Chads

« Reply #76 on: 08:19:37, 11/11/11 »
i cant recall the browns.who did he murder.?
I think it was some guy at a pub...
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

p.shellard

« Reply #77 on: 23:50:01, 28/11/11 »
well that isnt my school,i went to birley high in hulme,now demolished! :(

gilallen

« Reply #78 on: 21:54:27, 15/12/11 »
any one go to ducie av tech tec school for girls year 1951 . 1955      g

[email protected]

« Reply #79 on: 12:25:13, 22/01/12 »
I thought it would be interesting if we all posted where we went to school in Manchester! Here's a photo of my old primary school (courtesy Manchester Archives) It looks like it was a cold and frosty morning...just right for making 'slurs' in the playground!! :o
i went here as well

Ann

« Reply #80 on: 18:13:10, 22/01/12 »
I went to St.Patricks in Livesey Street Collyhurst. The school is still but not as big as it once once, the original building was erected in 1927

St Chads

« Reply #81 on: 08:27:06, 25/01/12 »
Hi Ann....did you know a Sister Patrick or Mary ?
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

dooron

« Reply #82 on: 19:02:13, 08/04/12 »
hi all  O0

anyone remember garnett street/marlborough road junior schools 1950's and 1960's

i was there approx 1955 to 1961 and can only just recall garnett street school  but have clearer memories of marlborough road itself...such as the big schoolyard to the rear...open boys lav's to the rear ( use them at your peril ) and the big hall on the ground floor

would love to hear any memories from those days - in particular re schoolteachers

ttfn

pinkhazel

« Reply #83 on: 08:47:18, 09/04/12 »
Hi Everyone... :D

I went to Elysian Street Primary in Openshaw..(1968-74).sadly can't find any pictures of the actual school...but I did find one of my Dad!! :o ...Front row holding the school plaque!!...taken in 1934...Dad (Fred Tyree) would have been 5yrs old....Ahhhhh Bless... :smitten:

Any Unattended Children Will Be Given An Expresso & A Free Kitten!!

pinkhazel

« Reply #84 on: 08:51:33, 09/04/12 »
....And here's one of Central High School for Girls Whitworth St Manchester...My secondary school attended 1974-79...Oh Such Fond Memories!! :smitten:

Buntyrose

« Reply #85 on: 13:47:33, 09/04/12 »
Hi, I'm just catching up with the posts so please forgive me if this reply is a little out of sequence.
Celeste, Is the ferry you are thinking of the one that used to be at the bottom of Irlam road, Flixton? It used to cost a penny to cross to Irlam, where you could walk accross and go to Kwik save and Iceland stores or futher up to Tesco.
Anyone go to St Thomas of Canterbury junior school?
I noticed the church recently on big fat gypsy wedding.

Swinger

« Reply #86 on: 14:02:55, 09/04/12 »
I thought I knew all the schools in Manchester but I do not remember Central High School for girls Pinkhazel.  I am wondering where exactly in Whitworth Street it was if the building no longer exists.  I have tried looking it up but have had no success.  Is there any chance of you importing a small map onto this forum with perhaps an arrow pointing to where the school was?  I genuinely am interested.

pinkhazel

« Reply #87 on: 16:41:23, 09/04/12 »
Hi Swinger...The school building still exists!!..last I heard though it is now The Sheena Symon College...and Mather College that was attached to our school is now luxury appartments!!...Our Gym used to over-look Canal St...if you need anymore info just ask!! O0

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: 16:59:19, 09/04/12 »
Hi, I'm just catching up with the posts so please forgive me if this reply is a little out of sequence.
Celeste, Is the ferry you are thinking of the one that used to be at the bottom of Irlam road, Flixton? It used to cost a penny to cross to Irlam, where you could walk accross and go to Kwik save and Iceland stores or futher up to Tesco
Hi Buntyrose,
I'm not sure what I was on about but found this -
http://www.francisfrith.com/cadishead/#utmcsr=google.co.uk&utmcmd=referral&utmccn=google.co.uk
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Buntyrose

« Reply #89 on: 12:09:24, 10/04/12 »
Thankyou Celeste for the really interesting link.
I had never been on the lock lane ferry but recall the Irlam road on back in 1973. I think it may have been the last one in service.