Author Topic: Belle Vue  (Read 13029 times)

diane57

Re: Belle Vue
« Reply #15 on: 23:31:17, 04/11/13 »
In the 60's I remember the watershute, I absolutely loved it! I never went on the wooden pink - (I'm sure it was pink!) roller coaster (we heard that when it was dismantled it went to America - don't know how true that was). I also remember it feeling like I was on holiday. Funny how we always remember 'hearsay'; I thought the zoo had been closed because of poor conditions. When I was a bit older, I remember going to see David Cassidy (we didn't have tickets though - and managed to get very near to the stage!) - that wouldn't happen today would it? I also remember being in a ballroom competition there, and going to play ten pin bowling. I love looking at the old photos - these days I worry that I reminisce too much! 

Coopster

« Reply #16 on: 11:17:52, 05/11/13 »
Yes!  The Waterchute was amazing and it was fun to stand by the glass screen and watch people flinch as the water threatened to soak them - but of course it didn't.  The wooden coaster was Bobs and it did go to the USA with ever single part numbered to enable it to reconstructed. The Elizabethan Ballroom was a nice venue and together with Kings Hall it saw some famous acts over the years.  The fireworks too. Amazing place - fondly remembered.

lozflan

« Reply #17 on: 13:25:43, 14/08/15 »
Manchester Museum bring out of storage a cross breed of a Lion and a Tiger.    Which cross?
I remember at Belle Vue these animals, I,m sure they were Tygons.
The smell in there was something else.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

migky

« Reply #18 on: 14:09:18, 14/08/15 »
Tigon & Liger

I know they grew larger than a normal Lion or Tiger and were infertile.

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

migky

« Reply #19 on: 15:08:24, 17/08/15 »
A rare lion and tiger cross-breed has gone on display at Manchester Museum after 65 years "rolled up" in storage.
click on here to read full story and on here

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

[email protected]

« Reply #20 on: 10:14:01, 28/08/15 »
Hi,
I remember going to bell vue as a kid and at christmas as my step dads firm dulops alway did a party there for the kids at christmas
My dad also worked there as a chef I loved beel vue

daxmor

« Reply #21 on: 03:23:38, 02/09/15 »
I  remember going there as a kid in the 70's, used to love it, as you walked in the main gates, the water chute was the first thing I remember seeing, then we did the zoo, as kids we were enthralled by it, but looking back I now see how horrendous it was for those poor animals, there were several bear pits, animals who in the wild would roam for miles looking after their cubs, stuck in these concrete pits, we used to laugh at them rocking their heads in figure of 8 movements, not realising that this was a severe mental reaction to the depression caused by being in such a closed area. another one was the elephants on that tiny lump of concrete >:( . Then you went to the fair part of it, we always had a ride on the on the caterpillar (this was actually a fairground ride, not another case of animal cruelty.) there was actually something you could win a prize every time, there were a load of upturned metal cups, each one had a string attached, then you had to pull a string that lifted a cup, you won what was underneath, imagine kids today getting excited by that.
Live everyday as if it's your last, one day you're gonna be right.

[email protected]

« Reply #22 on: 10:24:39, 22/02/21 »
 i REMEMBER BELL VUE I WENT THERE AS A CHILD AND MY FATHER WORKED IN BELLVUE AS A CHEF HIS NAME WAS JOHN CAREY