Author Topic: St Patrick's RC School - Collyhurst.  (Read 19225 times)

dan_costello

St Patrick's RC School - Collyhurst.
« on: 19:34:04, 17/04/11 »
Hi. My father, John Costello, attended St Pat's from 1955-1965. He remembers some of the teachers as Mr Cassidy, Mr Goggins and Mr McBreen. Does anyone remember him from this time. He originally lived on Slater Street (now doesn't exist) - and so did his Grandmother, Catherine O'Shea. A Mrs Trulio also lived in the area. Anyone who recalls him - get in touch. Thanks.

Paul Hurdsfield

Re: St Patrick's RC School - Collyhurst.
« Reply #1 on: 21:36:13, 27/06/11 »
Hello Dan, your Dad was in the same class as me, Is he well?
I have a school photograph somewhere showing the whole class.
I'll try and find it and if I can I'll post it up.
This is my first post on here, as I've only just discovered this site.

Paul Hurdsfield

« Reply #2 on: 10:21:06, 29/06/11 »
Hello again Dan.
I've sent you an email, with a link to a picture on the Collyhurst Forever group on Facebook, it shows your Dad when he was 10 years old.

Regards

Paul

cathy

« Reply #3 on: 04:18:30, 08/07/11 »
Hello Dan,
My father went to St Patricks, before your fathers time. My father was born in 1920, he told me many tales of his life there. One of which, he was so clever that he finished his schoolwork so quick, the teacher sent him out to look for kids who were missing from lessons. ::) Yea Dad.

One thing that was very heartwarming, he kept friends with lads he went to school with.

My father passed away when he was 64. We lived in Miles Platting and our Parish was Corpus Christi but it was tradition amongst the friends that, when they passed away they went from," St Pat's".

I missed Dad, but a week or so after he went I dreamt I was walking up the steps into St Pats in bright sunlight, I went inside and saw Dad chatting with some men and he turned to me and said, don't worry about me I'm okay"

Made me feel so much better, he was, and still is, a great man.

My fathers generation went through so much, the depression in the 30's and they fought in WW2, but still had a great sense of humour.

Ann

« Reply #4 on: 13:31:41, 19/10/11 »
I remember you Dad, did he have a sister? remember your Grandma and Grandad Costello as well, your grandma was at the St Pats reunion a few years ago and recognised me. Her brother John was married to my Aunty Mary (nee Burke). We all lived on Slater Street. Also new your great grandparents Mr & Mrs O'Mara
« Last Edit: 13:35:52, 19/10/11 by Ann »

Adsum

« Reply #5 on: 14:05:24, 19/10/11 »
Hi. Dan, Was your father the same John Costello who was a fitness instructor at a gym on Deansgate in the 70s?
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

briggsy

« Reply #6 on: 12:49:39, 02/07/12 »
Hi Dan, this is Alan Briggs. formerly of Collyhurst about 58 to 1950s. I am a freind of Nat jacobs the Boxer and i used to box at the victoria  avenue school club. Do you know of a Maureen Quigley who used to go to St pat's about the same time as you or jimmy Kidd, Brian kidds Brother. Alan

lozflan

« Reply #7 on: 19:54:25, 02/07/12 »
SEE, HOW IT IS A SMALL WORLD. IWENT TO CHADS WITH JOEY WASNT HE NATS DAD?IM SURE WE HAD A COSTELLO, ITHINK HE WAS ON OUR FOOTY TEAM ,OUR NEAREST RIVALS WERE ST .PATS ,ST. MALACHIES
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

briggsy

« Reply #8 on: 12:44:08, 03/07/12 »
Hi Lozyfan, Nats Brother was Joey who represented england, he died unfortunately after a small operation on his bowels, he was only about 42 when he died,  he was slightly older than Nat, also there was a younger son of joeys who also boxed as a professional.
Also Nat had a son called Nat who got murdered at his buisness by three nomarks in moss side, they deservadly got life I  think. I was aalso a freind of one of teh Costelo's but not sure which one he would be in his 70s now I reckon. Alan

lozflan

« Reply #9 on: 13:26:57, 03/07/12 »
THANKS FOR BRINGING ME UP TO DATE  . JUST DOWN A BACK ST. FROM ST. CHADS THERE WAS A BOYS CLUB THAT TAUGHT BOXING, I THINK I ONLY WENT ONCE .I DID,NT LIKE GETTING THUMPED. I THINK I LEARNED ITS BETTER TO KEEP OUT OF FIGHTS, THAN KEEP PROVING YOURSELF.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

fidgety

« Reply #10 on: 20:44:42, 17/08/12 »
I LIVED ACROSS THE STREET FROM JOHN, MARGRET, AND CATHERINE, NEXT DOOR TO JULIE QUAYLE AND HER SISTER ERICA. I WENT TO ST PATRICKS SCHOOL. I LIVED IN NUMBER 52. WE MOVED TO HAUGHTON GREEN DENTON WITH CLEARENCE.I REMEMBER MOST OF THE NEIGHBOURS. MRS TRULIO HAD A GRANDAUGHTER CALLED MARIE.

gilallen

« Reply #11 on: 01:45:02, 18/08/12 »
hi lozflan  was the  costello in your footie team  buzzer      g

Dor

« Reply #12 on: 09:07:51, 18/08/12 »
THANKS FOR BRINGING ME UP TO DATE  . JUST DOWN A BACK ST. FROM ST. CHADS THERE WAS A BOYS CLUB THAT TAUGHT BOXING, I THINK I ONLY WENT ONCE .I DID,NT LIKE GETTING THUMPED. I THINK I LEARNED ITS BETTER TO KEEP OUT OF FIGHTS, THAN KEEP PROVING YOURSELF.

Was that Boys Club on Bent St ?I went there a couple of times with my Bros..Father Morris used to run it .
I was a tad envious because they wouldn't let girls join .
'I am such a bloody talented guy. I might go into painting or something"
AF

Dor

« Reply #13 on: 09:12:29, 18/08/12 »
Anyone remember Sister Mary from St Patrick's....she later taught at Blessed Margaret Clitherows  , she was a lovely Irish nun ...in fact she was the only lovely nun in my life ...the rest were bitches of the highest order.
Btw...It's Saint Margaret Clitherows now , she was made a saint .
'I am such a bloody talented guy. I might go into painting or something"
AF

celeste

• Global Moderator
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing