Author Topic: Granelli's Ice Cream in Clayton and Bradford  (Read 13121 times)

PeteRooney

Granelli's Ice Cream in Clayton and Bradford
« on: 18:37:50, 26/04/11 »
I'm currently researching a little memory I have about growing up in Clayton, Manchester and I'm trying to find anyone who has photographs of the Granelli family (or their ice cream vans) who lived on North Road, Clayton, and had a dairy near Phillips Park in Bradford (known as "John Granelli's Hideout"?) I remember John and later on, David doing the rounds on Vale Street and Lingfield Road.
If anyone can help with Granelli photos or information, I'd be very grateful!

tony dixon

Re: Granelli's Ice Cream in Clayton and Bradford
« Reply #1 on: 14:06:10, 27/04/11 »
You could possibly use this as a starting point - thread posted in 2007.

http://www.manchester-forum.co.uk/index.php/topic,917.0.html

tony dixon

« Reply #2 on: 14:11:59, 27/04/11 »
Another senior moment - got it right now O0

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 23:59:40, 29/04/11 »
I remember the dairy near the main gates of Phillips Park and often called in for an ice-cream on my way home from school. The names I remember are Ernie Granelli who lived on nearby Stuart St with his wife Mary and their two children Christine and Michael. I think another brother Louis worked there also. They used to use horse drawn vans until eventually they were changed for motorised ones.

Adsum

« Reply #4 on: 10:22:11, 08/06/11 »
Old John Granelli is still alive, I see him now and again. He still lives in the old family home on North rd.
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

bluemikeaway

« Reply #5 on: 10:09:46, 04/09/11 »
 :) One of my very earliest memories,circa 1950,living in Bennett street flats,Ardwick,was my mun buying ice cream
from Louis Granelli with a horse and cart van(!) which he put into a bowl she gave him..happy days.
Also when we moved to Wythenshawe i remember both Louis and Tony Granelli doing the rounds,by that time in motor transport!

Adsum

« Reply #6 on: 16:53:18, 13/01/13 »
I went  into my local Conservative club in Clayton this afternoon to watch the 2 main football games. John Granelli was in there watching the Man United match. He must be in his late 90s and is quite frail as you can imagine for somebody of his age. However he still has a razor sharp mind. He remembered me even though I have seen him only a couple of times in the last 10 years or so. He even prodded me in my well padded tummy and pointed out that I have put weight on since we last saw each other. I first bought an ice cream off him and his brother over 65 years ago, in the days when they had horse's and carts.

arthurchappell

« Reply #7 on: 16:19:14, 18/01/13 »
My grandparents on my mum's side of the family, The Cavanaghs, were friends of The Granellis. I remember my grandfather telling me some of the family were on board the SS Athenia, a passenger liner sunk by a u-boat in WW2 - the first attack of the war on British citizens - Another passenger on it was the actress (then a child), Carmen Silvera, who was in Allo Allo
Arthur Chappell, writer,  Civil War Re-enactor, ex-cult member, socialite  http://arthurchappell.me.uk/

Facebook - http://profile.to/arthurchappell/

Kadgill

« Reply #8 on: 00:11:25, 19/01/13 »
Yes I am johns neighbour on north rd he has been placed in park view home on north rd because he needs constant support he is in good health though my partner took him some mince pies at Christmas  and his mind is still sharp :-)

exclaytoner

« Reply #9 on: 20:33:32, 16/05/13 »
Again apologies for resurrecting old topics;
First memories of the ice cream family granelli's is queuing for ice cream in the early fifty's on the corner of Harrington drive and clayton street for a cup full with raspberry mash it up. again with horse and cart later with the van, if I concentrate I can still her horn they played and the jingle, some nights it was john the others it was David, later I worked Michael at clayton aniline he was an electrician and some times had a pint with him in the Alexandra next door to the dairy near Philips park gates, some Sunday evenings Ernie joined us with his big cigars (mafia style) and told the story how when rocky Marciano stay with his family on north road and enjoyed a 99 and pint in the Alex umpteen times ( not sure how true it was. ;D ;D
exclaytoner       
experience is what you get when you don't stop trying

Adsum

« Reply #10 on: 09:03:22, 17/05/13 »

How many of these Ice cream vendors do you remember. This is a fascinating history of Little Italy, Ancoats. (You need your sound on)    :)

www.ancoatslittleitaly.com/messageboard28.htm[/font][/size]

« Last Edit: 09:07:57, 17/05/13 by Adsum »

JillR

« Reply #11 on: 10:23:51, 17/05/13 »
I never realised there were so many! I grew up in Higher Openshaw in the 50s, and Coniola used to come round every day. I think he had a horse and cart but the cart was enclosed, like the back of a van.

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 23:34:23, 30/09/16 »

Some sad news, John Granelli has died age 92. Full story in the Manchester Evening News link below.[/size]

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/one-first-italian-immigrants-bring-11932086[/size]

Wendy Dolton

« Reply #13 on: 18:32:05, 06/11/16 »
Hi My Uncle was Ernie Granelli and we used to go to the dairy and get free ice cream when we were children. My dad was his wife Mary's brother. Not sure what happened to cousins Mike and Tony, any one know?

Tud

« Reply #14 on: 09:48:29, 21/08/17 »
Granelli,s also had a shop in Bradford , I cant remember the name of the street,
it was next to the butchers shop of Louis Edwards , who later owned Man U we used to walk passed there every week on our way for swimming , from
St Annes school Ancoats  to new islington baths