Author Topic: Notre Dame High School, Cheetham  (Read 75233 times)

Mandyann

Re: Notre Dame High School, Cheetham
« Reply #15 on: 11:31:25, 13/02/12 »
Wow it's a small world. I had Ms Celensu for German. Fancy her remembering you after all those years! I have trouble remembering people from last week!!!

cheethamgirl

« Reply #16 on: 11:57:08, 13/02/12 »
Elaine, Mrs Celensu alway was elegant, wasn't she?  I'm now wondering if you are the same Elaine who was in my year, with a surname beginning with T?   :)
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

Elaine53

« Reply #17 on: 11:58:20, 13/02/12 »
That's me! What did your surname begin with?

cheethamgirl

« Reply #18 on: 12:00:22, 13/02/12 »
Will try to send you a personal message on here.

Keegs

« Reply #19 on: 12:05:16, 13/02/12 »

Hello  :)

I have searched for years to find something about Notre Dame, Bignor Street, Manchester. Absolutely delighted to come across these posts!  :D

My school years were 1970 - 77. I loved my time at Notre Dame!

I was a tall red-haired girl who did sciences. I'd love to hear from anyone who thinks they might remember me.  :)

[I had Mr Ashcroft for physics; Mrs Green for biology and Sister Ann for needlework too ... and I remember Mrs Van da Cloon, whom we had for a term, I think  ;D ]

Keegs

« Reply #20 on: 12:35:15, 13/02/12 »
Sorry to double post  ::)  but these posts are bringing back memories!

We had sky parlour for a form room one year!  ;D  I think it was the third year ( I was in the 'a' stream).

Mrs Van da Koen (see I spelt he name wrong earlier  :-[ ) used to spend time in the classes telling everybody what wonderful teeth I had  :D  Also, she spent time telling us all how boys were so much better to teach than girls - usually, as she sat playing with her numerous rings.

One of my other claims to fame (apart from my teeth) is that I persuaded Mr. Ashcroft to take part in the school review!  :D  He brought the house down.

I was very sad to hear that the school had been demolished shortly after... Those wonderful science labs ... and that wonderful patch of green that was beneficial to tanning in the summer. For some reason, I went back once and saw the new houses over the wall. It still makes me sad to think of it.  :-\

Noblesse Oblige 8)
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%] [/size]

Swinger

« Reply #21 on: 18:50:02, 13/02/12 »
I remember that particular 6th form review.  Mr Ashcroft was sitting in the audience and the Head Girl approached him and said something to him.  He then followed her.  I then realised that she must have told him that he was needed on the stage.  I cannot remember how the sketch started but I remember Mr Ashcroft sitting on the stage with two other people (I don't remember who).  Mrs Watts (lab technician) said "And Henry wants to be a footballer" to which Mr Ashcroft made kicking movements with his legs.  It was so funny and "out of character". 

Keegs

« Reply #22 on: 19:09:28, 13/02/12 »
Hello Swinger  :)

Yes that was it!  ;D  It was based on the ad of the time (don't know whether you remember it) that had three children sitting on a chair. They are asked what they want to be when they grow up. The first one says 'footballer' and so on, then the last one says "When I grow up, my Mommy says, I am going to be a proper little madam!' That was the line Mr. Ashcroft delivered! He was the third child  ;D

I might well have been the 6th year that went down to get him  8)

Thrilled that you remember the sketch!

Buntyrose

« Reply #23 on: 16:43:21, 10/03/12 »
What do I remember ?
A wonderful geography teacher called Miss Garner, she later married an Eskimo.I cant remember her married name but I'm sure it will come to me eventually.
Being with a group of girls under the stage, some of whom were smoking. I recall one of the girl's flicking her cigarette (her name began with J). We told her off and stamped it out, but apparently not well enough. The school was later evacuated as a small fire had started. OOOps!
Our class had not been very nice to a heavily pregnant teacher. Miss Mcevoy took the whole class to the drama room and made us kneel on the hard floor for an hour as punishment.It was made very clear to us how horrible and bullying we had been. Parents would not have stood for this kind of punishment in this day and age, but how right I think Miss Mcevoy was. I think we bought the teacher a present and apologised.
Didn't Miss Rossall live with either Miss Lavin or with the deputy head and her husband?
A locker near the tuck shop which had the name Ermine Trudie Chuckabuttie on it. I never knew if this was an actual pupil . lol
The school choir being on the radio.
Decimalisation and how I felt cheated of 2 jammy dodgers at the tuck shop because of it.
The look on the careers teacher's face when I told her that I wanted to join the army. Ha ha. It must have been unheard of at the school. We were expected to be ladies and go onto university.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #24 on: 18:09:15, 10/03/12 »
Was it Mrs Marinossen, the teacher who married an Icelandic or similar? 
I wonder if the J under the stage might have been Jacqueline Clapham?  She was one of 'Monica's Mob'. Monica Barton, Helena Collins and Jacqueline were in my year and were so naughty.  We really enjoyed their pranks, like locking themselves in the stationery cupboard and humming, till the rather timid Latin teacher thought she was going mad. We assured her we couldn't hear a thing!

cheethamgirl

« Reply #25 on: 18:12:02, 10/03/12 »
Miss Rossall (Betty) lived with the widowed Mrs Kirk (Eileen, music teacher and brilliant choir conductress). Mrs Kirk took us to Llangollen Eistedfod in 1968 when I was in fourth year, our coach broke down and we turned up very late, just in time to go on stage, but we ran on and we won.  We had our group photo in the paper ('runaway girls take first at eisteddfod') and the school gave us each a lovely medal.

Buntyrose

« Reply #26 on: 19:17:47, 10/03/12 »
Thankyou for clarifying. Yes I remember now. Mrs Kirk the music teacher. I recall singing up and down scale for end of year exam as she pointed out the doh ray me's. I must have sounded like a drowned cat. :D
I remember Mrs Corbett, the latin teacher.Very hard line as I recall.And yes youre right, it was Mrs Marionossen. Her pronunciation was always very exagerrated but she had a way of teaching that made the subject so interesting.
Mr Riley threw a blackboard duster at me on my very first day beacuse I had sat down without his permission at the beginning of the lesson.
I'm 56 this year so was a couple of years below yourself. I was neither a nor alpha. I seem to recall that we were divided into houses and I was part of campion.
My claim to fame was winning a talent competition for impersonating Brother Dominic from the popular tv series 'oh brother'.
The girl under the stage was a Julie who was always up to pranks. When Miss Van de H was teaching reproduction Julie kept shouting out 'Miss, Miss when are we doing practicals?'
 ???

Swinger

« Reply #27 on: 21:54:30, 10/03/12 »
Doe anyone remember when the entire school went to the cinema one Christmas?  We went to see "Scrooge" and we all went by double-decker buses.  I do not remember which cinema we went to but it was in the centre of Manchester.  This was the only time that the whole school went on a school trip.
I remember 5th years doing "Recorder club" at lunch-times when I was in the first year.  I used to love these sessions but unfortunately was very aware of the fact that it was not cool to play the recorder and so as not to stick out I pretended that I did not like playing the recorder either.  (I still have my recorder and play it occasionally).  I have told my children about this and have warned them about the influences of peer pressure.  If you enjoy doing something, do not let others put you off!

cheethamgirl

« Reply #28 on: 06:17:23, 11/03/12 »
Buntyrose, I recall the biology teacher who taught us about reproduction being a Mrs Wagner-Kohn or Kuhn?  It was a lecture about frogs mating and was delivered to the wall clock at the back of the bio lab!

Swinger, the outing I recall was when the whole school went in buses to the big cinema (Odeon)  down Oxford Rd to see 'The Sound of Music'.  The nuns loved it.  I'm not sure we did.

St Chads

« Reply #29 on: 07:30:36, 13/03/12 »
This thread is so funny ,the   Teachers  names are wonderful.lol

;D ;D
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,