Author Topic: Notre Dame High School, Cheetham  (Read 75234 times)

cheethamgirl

Re: Notre Dame High School, Cheetham
« Reply #30 on: 07:46:35, 13/03/12 »
At St Clare's tho, I had a dour, po-faced teacher called Mrs McCafferty.  She taught us to knit, and I never got the hang of it, and she gave me a clout around the head once for getting the stitches wrong.  Nobody liked her and one day, in the playground, I was singing a ditty all of us used to sing, which went "Mrs McCafferty, locked in the lavatory ..." when my friends fell silent suddenly and looked sheepish.  I stopped singing and said "she's behind me, isn't she?" and they nodded, then came the clout around the head again.
 :o
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

St Chads

« Reply #31 on: 07:56:02, 13/03/12 »
 :D ;D  lol
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

cheethamgirl

« Reply #32 on: 07:35:19, 18/03/12 »
I just discovered there's a Notre Dame page on facebook.  Just found 2 of my old classmates are on there.
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

Terrence Henderson

« Reply #33 on: 20:50:20, 12/04/12 »
Hello. I was at Notre Dame between 1972 and 1979 so we will not know each other. Mixed memories of school days. Some of those teachers were still there amazingly enough but got married and changed their surnames ! I will have to check with my sister as she still has a good memory for names. Sky parlour - what a blast from the past. I wonder who first named it that ? I remember the layout of the school as if I were still there particularly the bottom corridor. Through the main door, turn right and the staff room with coffee and biscuits wafting out, past the bottom of the main stairway and if you continued it led to the 6th form common room. The other direction was to cloakrooms and the tuck shop and the the glass corridor that led to the dining hall ( my favourite ! ). The lunches were brilliant in those days. Proper food and large portions. I remember Sr Marie Therese, Mr Ashcroft ( Physics ), Mrs Green ( Felicity - Biology ) who I later worked with at Wythenshaw College, Miss Lavin ( PE ), Miss Cahill ( English ),  Mr. Smith ( Chemistry ), Sr Ann ( needlework ). I was still there when it merged with St Paul's - just my last year in 6th form. The whole place had gone downhill by then as staff were unsettled. I recall that for my maths A level I actually had four teachers in the two years. The marble in the chapel corridors and the chapel itself are vivid in my memory. We had to be silent as we queued - always a toughie for me. I wasn't fond of that route to chapel. The light was eerie and the marble reminded my of tombstones as I lost my mum to cancer whilst I was in year 2. Good memories are sports days as I loved running and high jump and thw whole sheebang of being out in the sun for a day and not having to work. I heard that the school had been demolished way after the event as I had been living overseas. I was quite upset actually and presumed that somewhere there would be a record photographically of the school but apart from the odd snap on friends re-united I don't think there are any official photos. Shame.   What was SMT ?         

CheethamGirl what was your Christian name, as had a sister there, Eileen and will ask her!
Hate political bigots!

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Notre Dame High School, Cheetham and St. Clare's Blackley
« Reply #34 on: 19:24:51, 14/04/12 »
Went to Sainsburys at Heaton Park today, 64 bus back to Manchester went through Blackley and I saw the St. Clare's School, it is a very imposing building and I can imagine it being quite daunting to the young pupils who went there.
Is it still a school and run by nuns?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

terrygirl

« Reply #35 on: 23:41:08, 14/04/12 »
St Clare's is still a school, don't think any nuns teach there anymore. Some of my extended family's children go to St Clare's infant and junior school. :)

Terrence Henderson

« Reply #36 on: 00:50:32, 15/04/12 »
I used to go and sit in the bell tower at Notre Dame, I used to eat my lunch  there, and once in a while would hear the young ladies say to one another, "There goes the lunchpack of Notre Dame"

I found the one in Paris a strange and isolating place; there seemed no warmth there as have found sometimes in other churches. Yet I love Florence, not for the religious things, but when we were having Norman castles installed they were building such marvels of architecture, and yes it may have been a devotion to duties or slavery of a kind; but every time I get off the train in Florence or go through Pisa, I get the same burst of energy, 5then I find a place where they sell wine, a loaf of bread and fillings. Hey to me it beats the expensive places in Piccadilly that burn vegetables and pretend their foul tasting, uncut, unpeeled chips cooked and salted in weeks old oil at a top price are trendy. I love Manchester or would not be here, but nice to take someone even if on a thirty hour trip to have a different point of eating.

Ha, once I took someone there on a day trip when money was flying, started out at 4am ,got back about 2am, she wanted a McDonalds there, yes she took the trip, ate the meal and you know she went back for the buildings, as seeing some of the buildings there fired her to travel again, then went to the museums and the gardens, is living there now and is a tourist guide there, when back in Manchester she done nothing, no hope of anything happening - I found out which tourist group she worked for, she took me for a fine meal after realising it was me, and that had paid to see how she presented the tour- about the only useful thing I have done on the spur of the moment. She lives out of the city, and is now pretty good at not speaking Manc.
Hate political bigots!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: 11:13:47, 15/04/12 »
Terrence you have been around - I would love to go to Florence, Pisa and Venice too
Went on one of the Bateau Rouge boats on the Seine and saw Notre Dame but we didn't alight, reminds me of Quasimodo  8)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: 11:15:50, 15/04/12 »
St Clare's is still a school, don't think any nuns teach there anymore. Some of my extended family's children go to St Clare's infant and junior school. :)
Further up there was a similar larger building, I think it was the Education Department one, just as old and wellbuilt

terrygirl

« Reply #39 on: 13:56:57, 15/04/12 »
St Clare's school is next door to the Church. I know Victoria Ave well, but cannot think of the building you mention.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: 14:06:47, 15/04/12 »
It may have been on the opposite side of the road :-\

Terrence Henderson

« Reply #41 on: 18:47:33, 15/04/12 »
Terrence you have been around - I would love to go to Florence, Pisa and Venice too
Went on one of the Bateau Rouge boats on the Seine and saw Notre Dame but we didn't alight, reminds me of Quasimodo  8)

Celeste:

Maybe there ought be a friends of Manchester Forum trip there, you as organiser goes free, mugs like me have to pay! Go to Pisa and Florence, maybe one of the islands near to Livorno. We could travel by plane. or if others want rail - pretty quick getting there on rail, through Paris, stop-over, Lyon (maybe) with a reroute en-route wonderful Roman aqueduct there still working, maybe a day or two in Venice.

If you start it now for say September enough will have time to pay, maybe all monies due before August, losers lose everything if not paid up. If enough are interested we get you one or three free seats for you and your mates. Meet Manchester Forum(ers). Once all facilities are in place all you have to do is sit back and ensure the tour operators do everything for you.

On the other hand call 0161*******
Hate political bigots!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: 18:58:00, 15/04/12 »
Well Terrence, first I have to realise one of my ambitions - to travel on the Orient Express, that will take about £2,000 maybe more so I need a big win on the Premium Bonds as I also want other things - extension, conservatory, driveway paved.

One of my sons has been to Florence with his school and I admit to being a tad envious

Terrence Henderson

« Reply #43 on: 19:21:44, 15/04/12 »
Well Terrence, first I have to realise one of my ambitions - to travel on the Orient Express, that will take about £2,000 maybe more so I need a big win on the Premium Bonds as I also want other things - extension, conservatory, driveway paved.

One of my sons has been to Florence with his school and I admit to being a tad envious

Met a woman that traveled on the OE, she said it did not arrive to her expectations, in fact she said she had a better journey going from Edinburgh on the same sort of carriage, a Pullman through to the top of Inverness, and at a stop off at the Bird sanctuary at Nethy Bridge, she was delighted to have seen a red squirrel, whilst watching the Ospreys. Ha when I asked her did she have a photo, said, no and gave her one, she said it was fantastic. I think the Inverness through the Cairngorm's cost her £430. Bubbly served all along the way.
Hate political bigots!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: 19:56:02, 15/04/12 »
I think it's experiencing that particular aura of elegance - watching Poirot doesn't help

There is a bird sanctuary two roads from where I live - full of foxes and squirrels (the grey breed though)