Author Topic: Notre Dame High School, Cheetham  (Read 75235 times)

Sean

Re: Notre Dame High School, Cheetham
« Reply #105 on: 18:38:33, 03/04/19 »
Does anyone remember Veronica Gibson. She would have gone to Notre Dame High School from the age of 11 to 18. (1963-1971)

cheethamgirl

« Reply #106 on: 18:50:36, 03/04/19 »
No, sorry. There was, however, a Margaret Gibson who attended ND from 1964.
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

RMF Broadmoss

« Reply #107 on: 23:40:44, 11/04/19 »
Hi all- this is my first post, I was Ruth Bassham (now Forbes), and was at Notre Dame at Bignor Street, from 1959 to 1966. Re Sister Marie Therese, I was in the fifth or sixth form when she started and I always found her very approachable and a breath of fresh air, especially after the previous head, Sister Mary. When I entered the school, my sister (Frances Bassham, now Davies) was in U6 and deputy head girl. Sister Mary said to me scathingly several times ..”You’re not
very like your sister, ..are you..?” When the new science, hall and gym block was built(1964??), SMT turned the old gym into a common room for the sixth form, and on at least one occasion allowed us to host a Friday evening “disco” evening for the sixth form boys of Xaverian.
I remember Betty Rossall, knowing I was terrified of heights and determined to cure me , forcing me to walk backwards along the beam in the gym. Didn’t work!
I was in the choir for the first two years that Mrs Kirk went to Llangollen - loved that woman! I have only fairly recently got back in touch with my best friend at
N.D., Paula Holland, which is an absolute joy, and also with Veronica Whittam.
Sadly have just learned that our English teacher, Pat Sheerin, died in December.She was a great teacher. Sorry to rattle on, and if anyone was at N.D at the same time of me I’d be delighted to hear from them. Best wishes to everyone.

Sean

« Reply #108 on: 08:10:11, 12/04/19 »
My wife went to Notre Dame at this time. Veronica Mary Gibson. I think she started in 1963 and left in 1971 to go to the Notre Dame teacher training college in Liverpool. She also remembers going to sing at the Eisteddfods. Do you remember her or especially do you have any photographs from that time.
Best wishes
Sean Murphy

RMF Broadmoss

« Reply #109 on: 20:19:02, 12/04/19 »
Hello Sean. Sorry, your wife ‘s name doesn’t ring a bell with me, but as I would have been in form five when she joined the school, that’s not surprising, and sadly I have no photos. RMF.

Sean

« Reply #110 on: 21:02:51, 12/04/19 »
Thank you.

byronCal

Notre Dame High School Cheetham
« Reply #111 on: 19:46:16, 12/05/19 »
How accepting is Notre Dame of URMs and LGBT students?

I am hesitant to apply here. Thank you
*Link Removed*

albalo

« Reply #112 on: 10:10:48, 07/03/21 »
Hi all

My aunty Christine Studzinska attended Notre Dame in the 60's/70's. I believe she was quite close friends with a girl called Ann Baxter.

Sadly, my aunty passed away last November and I would love to hear of any memories you have of her or indeed if Ann is on here I would love to say hello.

RMF Broadmoss

« Reply #113 on: 14:40:59, 08/03/21 »
Hello, Albalo
There is a Facebook closed group for old girls of ND, and I posted your enquiry on this. There were a couple of replies, all offering their condolences, and one lady said she was sorry to tell you that , sadly, Ann Baxter died around the same time as your aunt. As a result of this,another close friend of A.B and your aunt,  (again, called Ann) is very upset to hear that her two close friends have passed away, but asked her sister to put two photos on the closed group, and have given permission to pass these on to you. I don’t know the date of these, but they must be 40/50 years old and are very fuzzy. If you wish to put on your mobile number, I will text you back to find your name and email address and send them on. Hope this helps you, and I’m sorry you’ve lost your aunt, RMF

albalo

« Reply #114 on: 17:14:15, 11/03/21 »
Hello RM
Thank you so much that is much appreciated.

RE getting in touch, rather than post my number on here, my email address is aharrisonsocial @ gmail . com

Thanks

Amanda

Franc3976

« Reply #115 on: 08:52:33, 22/01/22 »
Hi anyone out there from 1967-1972? I was in Form 1A, Miss Miles was our form teacher.  :)

Michelle Ginger

« Reply #116 on: 19:29:10, 14/02/22 »
Fascinating read of all the ND Ladies. I did not go to ND but St Joseph's RC Tech High for Girls, Laindon Road. It was a Daughters of Charity School in the first instance. It lasted 1871 - 1985. Like ND knocked down but not forgotten by those who remember.

The final Headteacher of St Joseph's was Rita Mary Johnson, Rita Mary Baldwin at school. When I last spoke with her on the phone she said she went to Notre Dame. If she went to Notre Dame Grammar School, Manchester - originally in Salford in the Adelphi Building beside the Old Salford Royal (?) then we got the ND way of things through her.

Can you help on this ND detail? Notre Dame Grammar, Manchester lasted 1944 -1977 as a Grammar School but was it an independent school first?

The NDs came to Manchester around 1850 when Catholics won the right to have public schools paid for on the Rates. It caused a sensation at the time because the Establishment refused to pay direct grants to Catholic schools because of dyed in the wool sectarianism. In the finish it went to Parliament and the Liberal MP John Bright helped win the day. John Bright championed the Catholic cause, most of Manchester's best and skilled labour was Irish and Catholic. The economy could not function without them. Many were highly skilled and sought after, particularly bricklayers whose quick and perfect work built much of the town in fine red brick.

The argument went that if Baptists, Anglicans, Methodists and non-denominational schools could get direct grants as ratepayers, then Manchester and Salford Catholics were ratepayers too and so they should have the same funding. St Chad's was the first school in the diocese to win such funding. When they did the ND Sisters agreed to come from France and teach at St Chad's for Dr Turner, Parish Priest, who went on to be first Bishop of Salford.

Please pray for the repose of the soul of Mrs RM Johnson. I found out this past week she had gone to eternal reward. Checking the Manchester Evening News was her obituary as the last Head of St Joseph's and the first Head of St Vincent de Paul RC High School, merger of St Joseph's and St Pius X Boys, Denison Road where I finished my secondary school education.

Sending you NDs your Alumni Association Link. The whole thing in the UK kicked off in Manchester ND

May the Angels Rise to Greet Her...

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/notice/JOHNSON/4734567

http://bfnda.org/associations-2/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu7mM_zqapA

lozflan

« Reply #117 on: 10:16:16, 15/02/22 »
Did'nt tell pupils that in Chads,why not? Our family attended 3 generations,ND also.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Sharman

« Reply #118 on: 23:33:02, 28/01/23 »
I was at Notre Dame 1964-1971 and was a member of the choir which won at LLangollen. i have very happy memories of of my time at Notre Dame and am forever grateful to Miss Kay(History) who set me on the right path.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: 10:29:27, 01/02/23 »
Did'nt tell pupils that in Chads,why not? Our family attended 3 generations,ND also.

Interesting loz,  can you tell us more?

One of my school friends went to Loretta convent in Bowdon
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing