Author Topic: Falcon Villa, Halliwell Lane, Cheetham  (Read 3105 times)

Dave Gaskell

Falcon Villa, Halliwell Lane, Cheetham
« on: 17:16:41, 06/12/06 »
I've found a 15 year old ancestor in the 1841 census living in Falcon Villa on Halliwell Lane, Cheetham.  He is the only member of his family living there (the rest are in Chorley where the 15 year old was born).  There are a lot of people living here.  Does anyone know what this establishment was?

Christopher

Re: Falcon Villa, Halliwell Lane, Cheetham
« Reply #1 on: 04:32:52, 13/12/06 »
Hello Dave,

Welcome to Manchester Community Forum .

You have not given the name of your ancestor but perhaps you could give more details .. when you say a lot lived at Falcon Villa how many do you mean? Does it look like a household .. a family with children and servants  .. that would be my initial guess as I'd be inclined to rule out asylums, hospitals, schools and workhouses because of the name of the place.

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Dave Gaskell

« Reply #2 on: 22:15:41, 13/12/06 »
Thanks for the reply Chris.
My particular ancestor was Edward Gaskell.    The reference of the page in the 1841 census is HO107-579-11 f-37 p-21.
I have located Halliwell Lane on www.old-maps.co.uk which has a map of Cheetham from 1848 and Falcon Villa is named on it - towards the junction with Cheetham Hill Road on the left hand side as you approach the end of Halliwell Lane.  Marshall Place and Halliwell Place are across the road.  I don't know what is there today (I live in York and haven't visited Cheetham).
My initial thoughts, from the name Falcon Villa, and from the fact that there were 20+ people listed as living there in the 1841 census, were that Falcon Villa was one establishment (like a workhouse or similar).  From the old map, it looks as though Falcon Villa could just be a small row of houses, but it is difficult to tell.   
Any information that you, or anyone else, could provide about it would be appreciated as I'd like to have some idea of why Edward might have been staying there as a 15 year old in 1841 when his parents were in Chorley (where Edward was living again in 1851).
Regards
Dave

Tuesday

« Reply #3 on: 13:13:47, 24/02/07 »
Just a thought...but could he have been 'in service' to the family that lived in Falcon Villa? That would account for a number of people living there ...if there were a few 'servants'. I used to live in Cheetham but don't recall any of the places mentioned...however there were some really grand houses that had seen better days. Cheetham was probably quite a prosperous area at one time.
Please keep us informed if you find out any more. :)
"I'll think about it tomorrow", Scarlett O'Hara (Gone with the Wind.)