Author Topic: Market Street in the early sixties  (Read 32544 times)

Andrew116

Market Street in the early sixties
« on: 19:59:18, 15/06/11 »
Hi,
Does anyone remember a tailors shop window on Market Street (near an old cinema and Pauldins). More up to date it would be opposite Lewiss. The tailors window had a upturned bowler hat as part of a display featuring a tap with running water going in. I remember standing as a child mesmorised wondering how it worked. On mentioning it recently to family no one else remembers.
Any info anybody may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Andrew.
mailto:[email protected]

tony dixon

Re: Market Street in the early sixties
« Reply #1 on: 12:41:09, 16/06/11 »
Hi Andrew - I'm guessing this is the area in question where we see the old cinema (The Cinephone) with Pauldens just out of shot. A little more research shows me that there was a tailors in the immediate area called " Weaver to Wearer "

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: 00:00:42, 12/09/13 by Chris »

Greengate Girl

« Reply #2 on: 16:52:10, 20/06/11 »
 :) I remember getting the bus at the corner of Greengate/Blackfriars Rd and it would go,
in a straight run all the way up Market St to Piccadilly. That's a nice photo Tonyxx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

Ecclescake

« Reply #3 on: 11:08:26, 05/07/11 »
 :) Could ot have been JOHN COLLIER    " the window to watch" gents tailors

Ecclescake

cheethamgirl

« Reply #4 on: 11:14:07, 05/07/11 »
I remember that display.  It wouldn't have been a branch of Greenwoods, would it?  Otherwise, I recall there was a Burtons somewhere around there.  I wonder if, in Tony's photo, that's Brooks the employment agency upstairs over the cinema?  I once enrolled as a Brooks' temp.
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

rayrobinson

« Reply #5 on: 23:45:41, 21/02/12 »

•       Re: Market Street in the early sixties  « Reply #1 on: 12:41:09, 16/06/11 » 
  •   Hi Andrew - I'm guessing this is the area in question where we see the old cinema (The Cinephone) with Pauldens just out of shot. A little more research shows me that there was a tailors in the immediate area called " Weaver to Wearer "

http://images.manchesterWEVER TO WEARER WAS\ON THE CORNER OF HIGH STREET AND MARKET STREET,,,,,,IT WAS\THE MAIN 'WTW' I WORKED IN THE 'WTW' ON STRETFORD RD NEAR JACKSON ST RAY

charter

« Reply #6 on: 11:12:44, 27/03/12 »
    Anyone remember Wyles toyshop. It was at the corner of Market Street & Lewis's arcade
    It was the best toyshop for miles and was very busy

cheethamgirl

« Reply #7 on: 13:26:33, 27/03/12 »
    Yes, I recall the toyshop - used to gaze in through the window, but never had the money to spend in there. :( 

Jim44

« Reply #8 on: 20:57:42, 27/03/12 »
    I remember Wyles toy shop, and what a great shop it was, I always used to drag my mam in and look with amazement at all the wonderful toys. But like Cheethamgirl, there wasn't a chance in hell of buying anything!

julie

« Reply #9 on: 21:02:27, 27/03/12 »
    Iremember i think Pauldens had a coffee shop upstairs me mam took us there to get our whit week clothes well the smell of the coffee and me mams cigarettes always made me sick that and the bus journey to and from Heywood to manchester and back oh boy was I green about the gills
    fate keeps on happening

charter

« Reply #10 on: 11:36:36, 28/03/12 »
    Anyone remember the exhibition hall on the top (5th) floor of Lewis's. I also think there was a restaurant with waiter service there too.
    I also rememeber the 4th floor being all furniture & furnishings and there was a toy section on the 3rd floor.

There were also 6 lifts - 3 used really old ones for goods and 4 new ones. One of them was an express lift to the top floor.

charter

« Reply #11 on: 11:44:16, 28/03/12 »
    Anyone remember when Pauldens became Debenhams. And wasn't there another Pauldens store that burned down?

charter

« Reply #12 on: 11:46:29, 28/03/12 »
    I remember Wyles toy shop, and what a great shop it was, I always used to drag my mam in and look with amazement at all the wonderful toys. But like Cheethamgirl, there wasn't a chance in hell of buying anything!

I was the same. The only time I got anything from Wyles was a Waddingtons game at christmas.

Terrence Henderson

« Reply #13 on: 19:19:32, 28/03/12 »
    There was the progenitor of Burton's where you had the 50 shilling (schilling)  suit, yes a worsted wool suit for that price, bottom of Market Street where the bomb went off years later.Opposite the new Boot's chemist .

Now you cannot get a decent pint for that.
    Hate political bigots!

cheethamgirl

« Reply #14 on: 20:01:29, 28/03/12 »
    Charter, I so remember the Lewis's you describe, with the 2 sets of elevators.  What I remember most is the wonderful aroma in the food hall - pork pies, hams, cheeses and in one corner I seem to recall spit roast chickens.  The other thing I remember is the day 2 thieves donned overalls, took a porter's trolley up to the white goods floor, brought a washing machine down on the customer escalators and wheeled it out of the shop on to the back of their truck, and nobody said a dicky bird! ;D   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy