Author Topic: Market Street in the early sixties  (Read 32535 times)

Terrence Henderson

Re: Market Street in the early sixties
« Reply #15 on: 20:23:12, 28/03/12 »
My uncle Tom, disabled in ww2 used to operate those elevators. He had a severe limp after stepping on an anti personell mine, or booby trap, had part of his rib cage used to replace the heel in his foot. He suffered many years with it but kept working, as you had to, as there was no social security then, and no land fit for hero's as now.

Mind you in withington hospital it was an often occurance for men in white coats to come and look at the large television in the patients room and the same theft to happen. But when these two came to fix the televsion I watching and had Withington hospital department engineers coats on......and the perfect televion never returned?
Hate political bigots!

shemmy

« Reply #16 on: 15:23:03, 08/04/12 »
I think the original Pauldens that burned down was on the same road where the dental hospital is now but further down nearer town, can't remember the rd name. In the early 60's there was a store on Market St called Henrys and a shoe shop on High St called Derbers selling wonderful stilleto's, i blame them even now for my "dodgy" feet!!

pinkhazel

« Reply #17 on: 09:49:31, 09/04/12 »
Hi Shemmy...The shop you mentioned called Henry's...was it called Henry Barries??...I remember that was where my Mum took me for my atrociously hideous school uniform!!! :-\ ...but can't remember if it was High St?...All I do remember is that she complained all the way home..(and to everyone on the bus)...that she'd just paid 50p a pair for my grey school knickers...and she'd bought me 5 pairs!!!...Oh the shame!!!!!!!! :-[ .....
Any Unattended Children Will Be Given An Expresso & A Free Kitten!!

cheethamgirl

« Reply #18 on: 10:38:00, 09/04/12 »
Henry Barrie's was in St Anne's Sq., Pinkhazel, but Henry's was a department store on Market St and Paulen's was somewhere nearby, can't quite remember where.  I too went to Henry Barrie's for my school uniform - in my case the knickers were bottle green!  ???
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

pinkhazel

« Reply #19 on: 10:54:06, 09/04/12 »
Hi CG...Thanks for that!!...probs thats why they were 50p!!...rather exclusive bit of M/cr in those days!!! ;D ....bottle green??...how awful for you!!! :( ...Parts of my uniform were "Grass Green"...!!!!!!!! :o
Any Unattended Children Will Be Given An Expresso & A Free Kitten!!

Greengate Girl

« Reply #20 on: 10:59:17, 09/04/12 »
I think the original Pauldens that burned down was on the same road where the dental hospital is now but further down nearer town, can't remember the rd name. In the early 60's there was a store on Market St called Henrys and a shoe shop on High St called Derbers selling wonderful stilleto's, i blame them even now for my "dodgy" feet!!
Hi Shemmy,  I soooo remember Derbers, I could get 4" stilettos there, I loved 'em.I had quite a few pair, with an "envelope" bag to match. Don't wear those shoes now, like comfort. xxxx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

Greengate Girl

« Reply #21 on: 11:05:34, 09/04/12 »
Henry Barrie's was in St Anne's Sq., Pinkhazel, but Henry's was a department store on Market St and Paulen's was somewhere nearby, can't quite remember where.  I too went to Henry Barrie's for my school uniform - in my case the knickers were bottle green!  ???
I remember Henry's on Market Street. It was a narrow store with about 5 or 6 floors. There seemed to be loads of stuff that you could rummage through, if my memory serves me well. xxxxx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

Buntyrose

« Reply #22 on: 12:37:39, 09/04/12 »
Hi everyone, I'm loving the memories.
I used to love the old market street with pavements either side and the traffic running down the middle.It could get so crowded that it was difficult to walk.
I knew Lewis's quite well as my father worked there in the basement for many years  until his retirement.
His department  sold everything for the kitchen .I remember writing an essay at junior school about him and he thought it was hilarious as I had written that he sold dustbins!
One year I went to a Christmas party for the children of the employees ( I must have been about 6). It was held upstairs somewhere in a room with a small stage.
Every year there was always the choice to go and see Father Christmas either at Henry's or Lewis's.
Does anyone remember Uncle |Holly who was some kind of assistant to Santa in Lewis's? For some reason you always had your photo taken with him and not Santa. I have never known another store who had  an Uncle Holly.
I used to work as a Saturday girl  at Chelsea Girl which was at the top of market street before Woolworths. My lunch was spent down Tib Street looking at the puppies and kittens for sale in the windows.Awwww !Nice memories.

Jim44

« Reply #23 on: 13:09:16, 09/04/12 »
Wasn't Pauldens in what is now Debenhams on market st?
I Remember the fire at the store on Stretford Rd. We walked there from Ardwick to watch it, but can't remeber what year it was.

charter

« Reply #24 on: 13:12:19, 09/04/12 »

One year I went to a Christmas party for the children of the employees ( I must have been about 6). It was held upstairs somewhere in a room with a small stage.

That must have been the exhibition hall on the 5th floor - the only other thing on this floor was a restaurant. One of the lifts (express) used to go from the ground floor to the 5th floor without stopping at any other floor.

charter

« Reply #25 on: 13:13:59, 09/04/12 »
Wasn't Pauldens in what is now Debenhams on market st?
I Remember the fire at the store on Stretford Rd. We walked there from Ardwick to watch it, but can't remeber what year it was.
Yes it is - I don't remember which year the fire was at the Stretford Road store but I believe its burnt out remains were there for many years into the mid 60s

Buntyrose

« Reply #26 on: 13:34:44, 09/04/12 »
Thanks  Charter. It probably was the exhibition room, I just wasn't sure as all I can remember is it seeming very big. I was stood on the stage singing Silent Night getting all the words wrong :D .
I think Henry's was where BHS is now, my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

shemmy

« Reply #27 on: 14:14:36, 09/04/12 »
Hi Greengate Girl,
I remember the Derber shop being quite small with racks of shoes down all sides with black patent dominating. Yes they were very high heeled and very pointed. Henrys was a more "affordable" store if my memory serves me right.
Pauldens was the building that Debenhams now have but i seem to have been mistaken about where the burned down store used to be. Wonder which one i am thinking about!!!!

charter

« Reply #28 on: 16:04:43, 09/04/12 »
Thanks  Charter. It probably was the exhibition room, I just wasn't sure as all I can remember is it seeming very big. I was stood on the stage singing Silent Night getting all the words wrong :D .
I think Henry's was where BHS is now, my memory isn't as good as it used to be.
Yes Henry's store was taken over by BHS - I remember pets corner in Henry's

charter

« Reply #29 on: 16:08:40, 09/04/12 »
Anyone remember the underground market on Brown Street. Going off Market Street going down the escalator. I remember there used to be a second hand record shop down there and they had lots of rare soul music.