Author Topic: Market Street in the early sixties  (Read 32534 times)

Greengate Girl

Re: Market Street in the early sixties
« Reply #30 on: 23:10:53, 09/04/12 »
Hi Greengate Girl,
I remember the Derber shop being quite small with racks of shoes down all sides with black patent dominating. Yes they were very high heeled and very pointed. Henrys was a more "affordable" store if my memory serves me right.
Pauldens was the building that Debenhams now have but i seem to have been mistaken about where the burned down store used to be. Wonder which one i am thinking about!!!!
I went to Derber's as often as I could afford to, they were pricey. There was a big fire at Woolworths on Piccadilly years ago, very tragic.
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

terrygirl

« Reply #31 on: 00:06:13, 15/04/12 »
Anyone remember the underground market on Brown Street. Going off Market Street going down the escalator. I remember there used to be a second hand record shop down there and they had lots of rare soul music.

I remember the underground market, and the record shop. Used to get some of my clothes from the market. Mini skits and the mini jumper. I remember buying a pair of black flared trouser, they were really wide. Then there was the hot pants, black satin with a bib attached. My granddaughter could wear these now.

Anyone remember Silvarnos, they used to sell clothes on the top floor straight from the factory they were made in. Cheaper than the shops. We got took there for our Christmas, Easter and Whit, new clothes. When we were young. If I remember right it was in Ancoats near Ancoats Hospital. 

julie

« Reply #32 on: 08:15:16, 03/05/12 »
what was a cinephone
fate keeps on happening

julie

« Reply #33 on: 08:19:58, 03/05/12 »
manchester underground market sold some nice stuff i remember going to a club called waves down in dantzic street and oh that awful fire in woolworths
fate keeps on happening

charter

« Reply #34 on: 10:54:09, 03/05/12 »

Anyone remember Silvarnos, they used to sell clothes on the top floor straight from the factory they were made in. Cheaper than the shops. We got took there for our Christmas, Easter and Whit, new clothes. When we were young. If I remember right it was in Ancoats near Ancoats Hospital.
I think you mean Silvana - Didn't they have a free bus on Saturdays?
« Last Edit: 11:50:13, 03/05/12 by charter »

PeteGl

« Reply #35 on: 11:43:40, 03/05/12 »
what was a cinephone

It was the name of a cinema.

Pete

St Chads

« Reply #36 on: 08:53:08, 04/05/12 »
The underground market always smelt of popcorn and sweet stuff....i never like it ...
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

treble99

« Reply #37 on: 15:51:11, 09/05/12 »
Does anyone remember the moving news board going round the top of the building in Piccadilly where Woolworths was?
Also does anybody remember the Kardoma coffee shop in St Ann's Square where all the trendy young things went to pose

charter

« Reply #38 on: 17:30:54, 09/05/12 »
Does anyone remember Ralphs Records at the corner of Corporation St & Fennel St which led to Victoria Station.
He used to stock lots of rare soul records & imports. It was the place most Manchester DJs used to go to in the late 60s & early 70s.

Ralph really knew his stuff.
Anyone know what happened to Ralph?

« Last Edit: 17:36:33, 09/05/12 by charter »

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: 18:43:44, 09/05/12 »
Does anyone remember the moving news board going round the top of the building in Piccadilly where Woolworths was?
Also does anybody remember the Kardoma coffee shop in St Ann's Square where all the trendy young things went to pose
My dad used to go to the Kardomah, it changed to Scotts and was refurbished in tartan - it's now McDonalds, he also used to go to St. Ann's Passage to a cafe at the end called Meng & Ecka  (sp) it's now an opticians
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

treble99

« Reply #40 on: 19:47:40, 09/05/12 »
At one point the Kardomah was being refurbished and when they went below the wallpaper they found original decorations from a long long time ago.
People don't realise what St Ann's Square was.
Stand in the middle and look up(nobody ever does do they)
You can see by the change in roof heights that these were individual houses of the wealthy merchants(So was Princess Street.
You have to close your eyes and forget the shop windows of MaccyD's and the jewellers.
Imagine front doors because they were there once

JillR

« Reply #41 on: 10:37:04, 10/05/12 »
Meng and Ecker was a very famous old cake shop and was mentioned in some of Howard Spring's Manchester-based books. Meng and Ecker eclairs...

charter

« Reply #42 on: 11:14:43, 10/05/12 »
Thanks  Charter. It probably was the exhibition room, I just wasn't sure as all I can remember is it seeming very big. I was stood on the stage singing Silent Night getting all the words wrong :D .
I think Henry's was where BHS is now, my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

You quite right Buntyrose. BHS bought out the Henry's Store although BHS is now part of the Arndale Centre

MARY 7

« Reply #43 on: 08:28:26, 19/05/12 »
hi.cheetham hill girl i also remember wyles toy shop we went down every saturday with our dad my brother was allowed a toy because he was a sick child.lewis was like a winter wonderland at chrismas they were really good old days we would get a bag of chestnuts if we were good .then walk home we only lived on cheetham hill road. so only took 10. mins . :D

MARY 7

« Reply #44 on: 08:33:05, 19/05/12 »
hi charter.not heard of silvarnos for a long time yes it near ancoats we to got our clothes from there  also . :)