Author Topic: Manchester club's 1950's and 60's  (Read 114192 times)

tonih

Manchester club's 1950's and 60's
« on: 19:16:01, 26/07/11 »
Hi

I'm doing some research for about and I am looking for personal stories from people who went out dancing in the 50's and 60's.  I'm looking for people who went out to places such as the ritz, plaza, twisted Wheel, Top Ten Club, Three Coins Etc.

Any stories would be gratefully received.

Thanks

john carrington

Re: Manchester club's 1950's and 60's
« Reply #1 on: 15:16:40, 19/09/11 »
Hi
Hi I went to the twisted wheel to see BB King, top ten club then hosted by Jimmy Saville I saw Jimi Hendrix and Steve Wonder plus many others there. They used to call the Ritze grab a granny on fridays (not nice I know) Rowntrees had three cubs Takis, Spring gardens, Can't recall the other. Mr Smiths was a great club owned by Dougie Flood (quality street gang). I could go but but I would bore you sleep, best wishes John Carrington.

I'm doing some research for about and I am looking for personal stories from people who went out dancing in the 50's and 60's.  I'm looking for people who went out to places such as the ritz, plaza, twisted Wheel, Top Ten Club, Three Coins Etc.

Any stories would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Please I don't require moral guidance, well perhaps a little..

thehop69

« Reply #2 on: 15:35:46, 19/09/11 »
Takis was on Oxford Rd.It wasn't a Rowntrees club.They were Spring Gardens,Sound and Top of the Town,I worked there 1970/71.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #3 on: 07:37:05, 26/10/11 »
I'm sure I've posted my recollections on earlier threads on this topic, so you might want to search around the older posts on this site.  One of my main haunts was 'Placemate'.  Can't quite recall where it was situated, somewhere in Oxford Rd area, but it was one of a number of establishments owned by Ivor Abadi, a Turkish Cypriot.  Many of the restaurants & clubs were owned by Turkish Cypriots in the late 60s early 70's.  My favourite place tho was 'Rafters' on Oxford Rd where they used to serve up free moussaka to the revellers at around midnight.   8)
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

MARY 7

« Reply #4 on: 11:00:03, 28/10/11 »
try the site  have you lived in cheetham hill.you will gets lots of feed back from there .good luck. 8)

tony s

« Reply #5 on: 23:35:34, 09/11/11 »
how about the oasis where all the brit groups played in the early60's hollies, alvin stardust ,billy jay kramer,big three,searchers ,even gene vincent.if they didn't play the oasis they were southerners.I also used to go to la rocca ,la cave off cannon st,the three coins in fountain st the kalookie chinese social club,mr smiths, the manchester cavern,if I remember any more i will add them later

MARY 7

« Reply #6 on: 10:07:46, 10/11/11 »
i recall when i worked belle vue. jimmy saville  use  to walk through the  zoo smoking his gigar. with lots of girls hanging on to him those were the days.

St Chads

« Reply #7 on: 09:22:15, 11/11/11 »
I remember Tommy Ducks Rafters , the  Long  Bar , Fagins , Phoenix .Cellar V, Placemates, Rowndtrees (spring  gardens) the ducie arms...
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

cheethamgirl

« Reply #8 on: 08:03:34, 12/11/11 »
Ah, my era too.  I worked briefly in Tommy Ducks on Saturday evenings when I was a student, but Rafters and Placemate were my usual haunts.

St Chads

« Reply #9 on: 11:28:56, 12/11/11 »
Ah, my era too.  I worked briefly in Tommy Ducks on Saturday evenings when I was a student, but Rafters and Placemate were my usual haunts.
My goodness! i bet you were behind the bar while i was in there...
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

cheethamgirl

« Reply #10 on: 12:21:07, 12/11/11 »
Very likely.  I seem to recall the 'fashionable' drink of the day was schooners of sherry.  I was shattered, as I'e been working all Saturday at the Way In boutique in Kendal Milne's dept store before that.  Used to dance the night away too at Placemate to "Love Train", which would get the whole place up on their feet doing a sort of conga.  Love the free suppers at Rafters. 8)

HarryM

« Reply #11 on: 22:13:31, 04/12/11 »
I used to go to the Twisted Wheel. Saw the Hollies, Cymerons and the Rolling Stones there. Described it in my book 'Aldora'.

Show me an orange and I'll show you the world. Woody Allan

Mandyann

« Reply #12 on: 00:26:29, 22/01/12 »
Top of the Town! - absolute favourite!  friday night got free tickets for Sunday, Sat night got free tickets for Tues! Almost lived there!! Mr Smiths when allowed to stay out til 2am!!  Sloopy's - very dark, Oasis, Spring Gardens - met husband-now ex!  Fagin's - Scott Walker very drunk!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 10:25:13, 22/01/12 »
There aren't any clubs - that I know of - where there is entertainment as you dine are there?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

charter

« Reply #14 on: 16:57:57, 26/03/12 »
Anyone remember Auntie's Kitchen just off Albert Square around 1970