Author Topic: Manchester club's 1950's and 60's  (Read 114185 times)

Mandyann

Re: Manchester club's 1950's and 60's
« Reply #15 on: 19:05:09, 26/03/12 »
Yes went to Aunties Kitchen with my ex sister in law early 70s. Mostly students, A place to end the night.

Ginga

« Reply #16 on: 21:28:12, 26/03/12 »
Anyone remember Auntie's Kitchen just off Albert Square around 1970

Ahh... I was young and innocent back then  ::)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 23:04:43, 04/04/12 »

Can anyone give John some information?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Adsum

« Reply #18 on: 15:24:25, 08/04/12 »
I found this club card today whilst sorting through some old photographs from my distant past. Happy days. It was possible to go to a different club every night in Manchester in the early 60s. More important. Most people had regular employment and could afford to do it.

We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

pinkhazel

« Reply #19 on: 09:40:23, 09/04/12 »
Gosh Adsum...I wonder if my parents ever went there?...we lived in Openshaw..which was only a short walk from Grey Mare Lane...I know their "regulars haunts" were The George and The Malcolm on Ashton Old Road...and Dad used to meet his pals in Stanley St Club Higher Openshaw sometimes
Any Unattended Children Will Be Given An Expresso & A Free Kitten!!

skittler

« Reply #20 on: 18:15:23, 15/05/12 »
i was in a back-up band in the 60s,we played at oasis when little richard was there for an all weekender.
the same weekend he recorded an hour long show for granada.jerry lee lewis recorded an hour long show for granada later in the year.the tape they used in those days did'nt keep very well,so granada "fused" both shows together and made a 1 hour special for granada's 25th anniversary.it was called dont knock the rock and was fronted by tony wilson.also on it were gene vincent,the animals,the ronettes and others.in the audience,dancing were jimmy saville and host of celebrities from various tv shows of the day.
the clubs i remember going to were,oasis,twisted wheel,heaven and hell,jungfrau,and 1 or 2 more whom i forget names of.i remember top ten club at belle vue with jimmy saville,was it in the elizabethan ballroom?also remenber tommy ducks and all the little back street pubs that made way for the arndale.
also remember odeon on oxford rd where i first saw cliff richard,shadows,emile ford,adam faith.the big picture house across the road,was it the gaumont?
does anyone remember the blue lagoon at stockport on a friday night,hosted by jimmy saville with freddie and the dreamers as resident group?these also did saturday night at el rio,macclesfield(where i come from).also at el rio we saw,the beatles,billy j kramer,wayne fontana and mindbenders,terry dene,screaming lord sutch.
also at the regal,alderley edge,saw shane fenton(now alvin stardust)and the fentones,the gladiators.
another popular place was the rex at wilmslow,anyone go there?the resident group here were the elektrons not a star group,but they were bloody good,and a guest group every sat.we played here a few times.
then there was what i think was the ashton palais,we played here a few times as well.
the odeon at stockport also staged a few pop shows we again saw cliff richard and shadows here in a show hosted by des o conner.
as you can see i spent a lot of my youth in and around manchester,i could go on forever(maybe i'll write a book one day).
wonderful,wonderful times never to be relived.if there was such a thing as a time machine i would go back tomorrow.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 22:30:40, 15/05/12 »
Did you get any autographs or save any memorabilia?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

skittler

« Reply #22 on: 23:08:10, 15/05/12 »
sadly,no.did'nt think about that sort of thing in those days,probably to busy having such a great time.

lozflan

« Reply #23 on: 16:29:18, 18/06/12 »
dont tell me im the only jazz fan here// Thethatched house, [bottom of market st ] beer slopping all over the top of the  piano/,The Sportsman, on market st. The brass 2 ft from your ear//amplified by pints of Youngers no 3 .The bodega, cross st all the top bands , [ loaned george melly my foot long cigar ,sang Franky@ johney].It changed to the Red Barn,[proposed to my wife there].  The M>S>G> i gave the lad who ran it a 4 ft. square Confederate flag to hang on the wall. [ liberated from a  gov .building  in texas.] There was also the Post office and  apub on rochdale rd. the sax players took some beating/. why has it all gone, was it the players or the fans first.

Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Adsum

« Reply #24 on: 13:23:01, 19/06/12 »

i was in a back-up band in the 60s,we played at oasis when little richard was there for an all weekender.
the same weekend he recorded an hour long show for granada.jerry lee lewis recorded an hour long show for granada later in the year.the tape they used in those days did'nt keep very well,so granada "fused" both shows together and made a 1 hour special for granada's 25th anniversary.it was called dont knock the rock and was fronted by tony wilson.also on it were gene vincent,the animals,the ronettes and others.in the audience,dancing were jimmy saville and host of celebrities from various tv shows of the day.
the clubs i remember going to were,oasis,twisted wheel,heaven and hell,jungfrau,and 1 or 2 more whom i forget names of.i remember top ten club at belle vue with jimmy saville,was it in the elizabethan ballroom?also remenber tommy ducks and all the little back street pubs that made way for the arndale.
also remember odeon on oxford rd where i first saw cliff richard,shadows,emile ford,adam faith.the big picture house across the road,was it the gaumont?
does anyone remember the blue lagoon at stockport on a friday night,hosted by jimmy saville with freddie and the dreamers as resident group?these also did saturday night at el rio,macclesfield(where i come from).also at el rio we saw,the beatles,billy j kramer,wayne fontana and mindbenders,terry dene,screaming lord sutch.
also at the regal,alderley edge,saw shane fenton(now alvin stardust)and the fentones,the gladiators.
another popular place was the rex at wilmslow,anyone go there?the resident group here were the elektrons not a star group,but they were bloody good,and a guest group every sat.we played here a few times.
then there was what i think was the ashton palais,we played here a few times as well.
the odeon at stockport also staged a few pop shows we again saw cliff richard and shadows here in a show hosted by des o conner.
as you can see i spent a lot of my youth in and around manchester,i could go on forever(maybe i'll write a book one day).
wonderful,wonderful times never to be relived.if there was such a thing as a time machine i would go back tomorrow.
          I was fortunate to have attended all of those shows when they were being recorded. One of our friends at the time was an apprentice printer at the company where they printed the tickets for all of the Granada TV shows. It just so happened that whenever a decent show came on he accidentally printed off a few extra tickets.  8) Rather than waste them we used to go to all of the shows.   The night that Jerry Lee was appearing the small recording studio was full, so they ushered us into an anti room next to the studio. This was where Jerry Lee and his entourage were waiting, before he went on. This show was being recorded shortly after he had received a lot of bad publicity because he had recently married his 14 year old cousin. Jerry Lee was in a foul mood. He was pacing up and down clutching a pint glass of whisky or bourbon. He was shouting and swearing at everybody at the top of his voice and they were all trying to placate him, but he was having none of it. A little fat mexican type woman who was one of his entourage turned to me and said, "He's in a real drunken mean mood tonight". I remember thinking that I hope that he doesn't find out that I shouldn't be here.     Suddenly a very nervous floor manager appeared and informed him that he was on "Mr. Lee Lewis". With one last mouthful of oaths he glared at everybody, slammed down his pint glass onto a piano and stormed throught the dividing curtain and into the studio.    It was like watching a light switch go on. The second he walked through the curtain he put on a fantastic show, banging his bum on the keyboard, the full works. The audience went wild and he did a couple of encores, it was fantastic. The second the floor manager said cut, he stormed back through the curtain, picked up his drink and carried on his ranting and raving. It was surreal to watch, but what a fantastic show. Parts of it can be found on You Tube.

Estar

« Reply #25 on: 13:45:42, 19/06/12 »
I used to go to the Ritz and Plaza, but not very often.  Was it the Ritz that the floor wobbled as you danced?
My favourite place was on Stockport Road, Levenshulme/Longsight.  Can't remember what it was called, does anyone else remember. It was near Crowcroft Park.  The British Legion took it over at one time, but I don't know what it is now.
Once harm has been done, even a fool understands it.
Homer, The Iliad

skittler

« Reply #26 on: 19:29:09, 21/06/12 »
thanks adsumfor that info. i have seen the jerry lee ones on you tube,the little richard ones are also on you tube in parts.
i omitted from my original post the groups i saw at twisted wheel before they were famous,these included,rolling stones,manfred mann,yardbirds,pretty things,them,animals,long john baldry,the original american blues artists,howlin' wolf and smokestack lightin'.i think we also saw chris farlowe.his out of time is brilliant and is still one of my favourites 50odd years on
thanks,once again adsum for the info..

Adsum

« Reply #27 on: 09:11:20, 22/06/12 »
 Thanks for reminding me about the "Don't knock the  Rock" You tube clips Skittler. I have just had a very pleasant toe tapping trip back down memory lane. As I have previously stated I attended all of those shows when they were being recorded. I have just caught site of myself in the audience at one of them, blink and you would miss me. I was smiling whilst watching the fabulous Jerry Lee performance, knowing that as soon as he had finished he had walked back through the curtain and carried on loudly berating his entourage, carrying on where he had left off.       Watching Sounds Incorporated again, I remember seeing them on a number of occasions around Manchester. They all lived in Kent and they used to drive up from there and drive back again after their shows. They were a great band who in my opinion never received the full recognition that they deserved.          One of my favourite shows was the, "I hear the Blues recording. I had never heard of most of them, they all seemed to be elderly shabbily dressed men who were in a kind of drunk or drugged stupor as they shuffled on to perform. There was Memphis Slim, Sonny Boy Williamson to name but two of them. However once they started to perform the atmosphere was electric, and I became a convert to the Blues for life.         As I have previously mentioned, I was a member of the Domino club on Grey Mare Lane in Manchester. Chuck Berry had been appearing there. After the show my mates and I went into Manchester. We finished up at one of the early Indian restaurants in town, I think that It was called The Star Of India on Oxford St. Chuck Berry was dining with another man and we rudely went over to his table and interrupted him to ask for his autograph. Even though we had disturbed his meal he was exceedingly charming, shaking all of our hands and signing autographs for us. I still have that autograph. 

Back in those days before massive stadium concerts, for the price of a couple of pints one could go and see virtually every major star at one of the many converted cinema type clubs that were scattered around Manchester. The big chart stars like the Beatles Stones Hollies etc. would make their money by appearing at 2 or 3 different venues in a night. Jimmy Seville was the local DJ at the Plaza, and later at Belle Vue. Dave Lee Travis was his "Apprentice" who lived in a council house on Clowes St. West Gorton at the time. Happy days.  :smitten:

Swinger

« Reply #28 on: 23:33:03, 22/06/12 »
I remember The Star of India on Oxford Street.  Happy memories!

charter

« Reply #29 on: 09:50:38, 26/06/12 »
I remember The Star of India on Oxford Street.  Happy memories!

If I remember rightly this was above the Oxford Snack Bar and an amusement arcade between the Odeon & Portland Street
Please correct me if i'm wrong