Author Topic: Manchester club's 1950's and 60's  (Read 114191 times)

lozflan

Re: Manchester club's 1950's and 60's
« Reply #45 on: 18:39:42, 06/08/12 »
I DID KNOW FOO FOO FOR A LONG WHILE, SHAME HES NO LONGER WITH US, MY WIFE LIVED CLOSE BY, WHEN SHE WAS LITTLE.    I FIRST KNEW HIM, WHEN HE WAS GETTING HIS ACT TOGETHER IN WORKING MENS CLUBS. HE BOUGHT ME MORE PINTS THAN I HIM. THE WIFES UNCLE PLAYED PIANO/ KEYBOARD AT A LOT OF THEM.  MY MOTHER IN LAW , MADE HIM [MAYBE HIS FIRST] FITTED DRESS.         WE ONLY WENT TO HIS  PALACE A COUPLE OF TIMES, AND MORE AT HIS OLD PLACE OFF SHUDEHILL, HIS HUMOR NEVER CHANGED. ONE LINE PUTDOWNS, HIS FORTE. ONE,  HE WOULDNT GIVE A DOOR A BANG,  OR LIKE A JOCKY LOOKING FOR A JUMP.  OTHERS UNPRINTABLE. I WOULD,NT SAY FRANK WAS P.C. NOR AM I . SOME WHO ARE MISS OUT ON THE RICH COLORFULL TAPESTRY OF LIFE.  FRANK COULD ALSO HANDLE HIMSELF IN THE QUEENSBURY RULES FASHION. GLAD TO HAVE KNOWN HIM, AS YOU MAY KNOW HE DID A LOT FOR CHARITY.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Greengate Girl

« Reply #46 on: 22:30:46, 06/08/12 »
 ;D Foo Foo used to perform a lot in what was our local "The Druids Home" (I didn't know he'd been away) Frank used to say. That was one of his cleaner ones. He was blue :D  but very funny. xxx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

PeteGl

« Reply #47 on: 10:08:01, 07/08/12 »
I first seen Frank Lamaar (as he was known then) in the "Bakers club" in Moss Side, not been around there for years, but doubt if it's still there.

Pete

lozflan

« Reply #48 on: 10:29:06, 07/08/12 »
thats where i met frank, the bakers.  did you know ERIC on the keyboard.??????
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

PeteGl

« Reply #49 on: 10:46:31, 07/08/12 »
Probably remember him, but didn't know him personally.

Pete

MargaretB

« Reply #50 on: 12:57:53, 13/09/12 »
Memories!

My main clubs in the 60s were Top of the Town and Spring Gardens.  Then we went to the Oaks in Chorlton on a Monday night.  Princess also in Chorlton, the club not the pub.  There was always a kind of sing-a-long before the disco started which was great fun.  They had live acts on every now and then.

Golden Garter was one for dining and watching live acts - remember seeing Roy Orbison there and now feel a bit shameful that we ate and talked through most of his act.

Poco a Poco in Stockport was another dine and dance place.

There was some kind of law for a while that for them to stay open you had to have food so we would be given tickets to get a 'meal' like chicken and chips in a basket, thin burger etc.

Annabels and then there was a private after hours drinking place further down the street but can't remember the name of it. 

Mostly we could go out every night dancing because all we paid for was entrance, couple of drinks and then we danced and danced and danced. 

andypandy123

« Reply #51 on: 20:51:32, 19/09/12 »
i remember the club jung frau on fennel street near the cathedral which later became Time and Place. but the entrance was moved. if u went sat night you got free ticket for in the week. Sunday nights was very busy too. i think it shut in middle 70s
« Last Edit: 21:01:47, 19/09/12 by andypandy123 »

andypandy123

« Reply #52 on: 20:56:12, 19/09/12 »
i also remember Explosion near debenhams, which knocked down to build the arndale, it had brilliant music, mainly soul and had a very large number of west indian people in there,so  the atmosphere was brilliant

polly kettle

« Reply #53 on: 19:36:33, 12/10/12 »
Hi

I'm doing some research for about and I am looking for personal stories from people who went out dancing in the 50's and 60's.  I'm looking for people who went out to places such as the ritz, plaza, twisted Wheel, Top Ten Club, Three Coins Etc.

Any stories would be gratefully received.

Thanks

polly kettle

« Reply #54 on: 19:47:13, 12/10/12 »
Hi, I was a nurse at Park Hospital in Urmstom in the early 60's. I used to go to the Three Coins with a few nursing friends, we loved it there. It was great to get a pass out so you could nip to the pub, then back to the club again as there was no alcohol served. Jimmy Saville was always sat there chatting up the girls, he had a different coloured hair each week, I remember the bright green! I always felt he was a bit strange.We chatted to him only once then decided it wasn't for us, we just loved the music.

Jim44

« Reply #55 on: 22:06:11, 12/10/12 »
Frank Lamar also used to entertain in the Gog and Magog, which was next to the river Medlock, on London Rd.

andypandy123

« Reply #56 on: 15:13:41, 13/10/12 »
unfortunate thing about jimmy savile  with all publicity....

JillR

« Reply #57 on: 14:40:46, 14/10/12 »
There was always talk about Jimmy Savile, even in the 60s. I've been waiting ever since for some tabloid newspaper to dig up his story, but it never happened until just now.

Lila swindells

« Reply #58 on: 22:55:33, 15/11/12 »
My youth was spent in the ritz plaza mister smiths dinos happy days

daisynook

« Reply #59 on: 11:17:28, 25/11/12 »
I know this is an old post :-[ but I've only just read it!  I was in Manchester in the 60's.  I worked in Queen Street and our office was over the top of the Oasis club in Lloyd Street.  When the groups came we could hear them tuning up below us and I would dash around to the next street to see whose autographs I could get.  Herman's Hermits were based there and another local group called the Measles and Manchester Playboys.  I also frequented the Twisted Wheel, Jungfrau (near the Cathedral), Takis, Bodega etc etc.  Another frequented spot was Belle Vue on a Sunday night where Jimmy Savil wad DJ.  I have many happy memories from those days.