Author Topic: Manchester club's 1950's and 60's  (Read 114195 times)

JillR

Re: Manchester club's 1950's and 60's
« Reply #30 on: 10:20:05, 27/06/12 »
The Twisted Wheel in Brazennose Street - was originally quite small and then extended. No alcohol, just soft drinks and coffee. Health and Safety would have had a fit if they'd seen the place! Great place, I used to go on my own aged 16 and felt perfectly safe there.
The Oasis - a bit more upmarket, it always seemed. I remember the Beatles played there after their first hit single and just before they went global, people were queuing round the block to get in. I think the Hollies used to play there before they were really big, but I never saw them.
The Jungfrau - down near the Cathedral, had Alpine-themed decor.
Top Ten Club - I always thought this was a marketing ruse so that Belle Vue could open the dance hall on Sundays (because the Top Ten was a "private club"). Remember Jimmy Savile being the DJ. Does anyone remember the Rolling Stones gig? It was the only time I remember that you had to book in advance and they stamped your membership card so you could only get one ticket. The place was jam-packed!

charter

« Reply #31 on: 12:08:31, 27/06/12 »
Anyone remember New Century Hall - beneath the CIS building.
On Saturdays they had many top bands appearing in the late 60s - Dave Eager was the DJ

lozflan

« Reply #32 on: 13:41:30, 03/07/12 »
THIS LINKS WITH BELLE VUE. IN THE KINGS HALL I SAW LOUIE AMSTRONG,  AND STAN KENTON I WAS STAGGERED ON READING THE PROGRAM, HOW MANY OF HIS MUSICIANS WERE CLASSICALY TRAINED.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

charter

« Reply #33 on: 18:34:57, 03/07/12 »
Anyone remember New Century Hall - beneath the CIS building.
On Saturdays they had many top bands appearing in the late 60s - Dave Eager was the DJ

Acts I remember seeing there:
Small Faces - The Kinks - The Tremeloes - Paul & Barry Ryan - Bee Gees - Jimi Hendrix - Mindbenders - The Hollies - Ivan's Meads - St. Louis Union - Four Pennies - Dave Dee & Co. - The Casuals - Lee Dorsey - Love Affair - Geno Washington - Arthur Conley - Temptations - Jeff Beck - Pink Floyd

There was no alcohol just soft drinks. It was run by Kennedy Street Enterprises so big name acts were never a problem.

I believe it has started up again as a Northern Soul Allnighter venue
« Last Edit: 18:41:31, 03/07/12 by charter »

Estaminet

« Reply #34 on: 17:18:50, 13/07/12 »
Just stumbled across this brilliant forum :D

anyway - I used to frequent

The Wheel (Whitworth St)
The Can Can
The Jungfrau
Takis

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: 20:02:52, 13/07/12 »
Welcome to the forum :)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Swinger

« Reply #36 on: 21:26:48, 13/07/12 »
I also used to love going to Placemate 7.  Has anybody got any photos?  What happened to it?  I don't remember what it looked like from the outside - probably because I always went with a gang and we would always be laughing on the way in.  I loved the way you could just wander from room to room and enjoy separate discos.

lozflan

« Reply #37 on: 08:29:28, 14/07/12 »
anybody go to the  stork club??   [ after hours , with bunney lewis] just off piccadilly.      later there was foo foo,s in dale st.  there were lots of working mens clubs,   i used to go to the bakers club in moss side, where foo foo  started out.  also the northern,  on rochdale rd, ithink i only went once to mannings place, then bigger clubs opened with headline acts.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

treble99

« Reply #38 on: 16:10:35, 14/07/12 »
OK
here's my tuppence worth.
Some of these might fall out of the era but they'll bring back memories i hope.
Russian Dave's Cossack Club by Chorlton Street Bus Station
Time and Place
Nice and Easy
Annabels
Anybody remember George Best's club just off Deansgate
Yer Fathers Moustache,Rubens and Rubens old hall-All the same place just off Albert Square
they were directly opposite the Cellar Vie 1 winebar.
I remember as a young lad who couldn't hold his beer to having "a couple" in Cellar Vie.
Then i'd stumble up the stairs to the door to the street.
I 'd handball myself down the wall a couple of yards then when i was directly opposite Yer Fathers Moustache i'd push myself off the wall,lurch across the street and fall down the stairs in Yer Fathers.
There was also another club very nearby that i spent a lot of time in.
It was called Bootle Street Nick and if they found you asleep in the road they would let you in their club for free and let you sleep and have free tea and coffee.
Mind you they gave you a verbal bolocking(sorry warning) before chucking you out.

There was the Auto club just off Princess Street and Amanda had a hotel just past Strangeways Nick where they stayed open all night for croupiers and guests of the hotel.
If you weren't a croupier you had to have a room(or a room key)
There would be 25 people at the bar with keys in case the plod came in.
She only had 8 rooms though.

The Press Club was/is on Deansgate as well

Peter Stringfellows Millionaires Club

Selwyn Demmys club Blinkers   

charter

« Reply #39 on: 11:26:24, 16/07/12 »

Yer Fathers Moustache,Rubens and Rubens old hall-All the same place just off Albert Square

This was Brazenose Street and it was also the venue of the original Twisted Wheel before it moved to Whitworth Street

tony dixon

« Reply #40 on: 12:07:01, 16/07/12 »
This link may be of interest to some posters on this thread.

http://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/archive/homePage.php

Greengate Girl

« Reply #41 on: 15:10:51, 16/07/12 »
anybody go to the  stork club??   [ after hours , with bunney lewis] just off piccadilly.      later there was foo foo,s in dale st.  there were lots of working mens clubs,   i used to go to the bakers club in moss side, where foo foo  started out.  also the northern,  on rochdale rd, ithink i only went once to mannings place, then bigger clubs opened with headline acts.
The first time I saw foo foo was in a local pub near where I lived. He was hilarious. You dare not get up to go to the loo, he would stop you and make merciless fun of you. A cracking entertainer.
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

treble99

« Reply #42 on: 16:25:02, 16/07/12 »
i went to school with Elliot Rashman.
He was the manager of Mick Hucknall/Simply Red

JONNO

« Reply #43 on: 19:49:06, 21/07/12 »
First group I saw was the Rocking Vicars at the Manchester Cavern - a cellar on Cromford Court. Moved on to the Frau and Twisted Wheel in the mid-sixties - fantastic music - especially the Blues singers at the Wheel. Tuesday night was always the Oasis (it must have been a cheap night!). The Mogambo was a great place for finding where the parties would be on Saturday night as was the Dive Bar. Top of the Town was convenient because you didn't have to get a pass out to go for a drink in the Mitre (for the Frau) or the Rising Sun (for the Wheel). Great times...

julie

« Reply #44 on: 05:09:03, 22/07/12 »
umm i used to go to waves this mad biker hovel down danzig street i couldn't stand all that awful disco music i n the 70's i was a headbanger meself and i loved led zep, deep purple etc
fate keeps on happening