Author Topic: The All Saints Tavern Chorlton-on-Medlock  (Read 8670 times)

mancity1984

The All Saints Tavern Chorlton-on-Medlock
« on: 22:47:59, 23/11/11 »
Hi I am searching for info on the All Saints Tavern which was in Chorlton-on-medlock in the 1950's it was owned by a Margaret Lillis who sadly passed away from cancer before I was born, She had four children Teddy, Brian, Anthony (My Father) and Vincent.
I would love to know if anyone has any info on what is was like, or if anyone knew of the Pub, any info I would really appreciate.
Many Thanks

migky

Re: The All Saints Tavern Chorlton-on-Medlock
« Reply #1 on: 08:11:55, 24/11/11 »
Hi & welcome, i found two pictuers of the tavern. The first one 1958 which would be around the time you wre looking for, the second was 1970. The address was 103 York st, Chorlton-on-Medlock.

Click here for the tavern 1958
Click here for the tavern 1970

Migky ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

migky

« Reply #2 on: 08:20:51, 24/11/11 »
This is a better one  Click here, for  a better close up of the tavern 1963

Click here for a view of the side door to the tavern

Tha tavern was on the corner of York street & Beswick street.

Migky ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

Jim44

« Reply #3 on: 13:36:40, 24/11/11 »
Hi Migky,
 What is the pub across the road from the All Saints  called?

jim

mancity1984

« Reply #4 on: 22:09:56, 24/11/11 »
Hi and Thankyou so much, pics are great, my dad is really pleased!!
The memories it brings back for him, its great. :) :)

The Pub was The Wellington Pub.

Jim44

« Reply #5 on: 11:11:53, 25/11/11 »
The Wellington. Thanks.

Jerseylin

« Reply #6 on: 13:36:39, 03/05/14 »
Are you still interested in info of All Saints Tavern?

mancity1984

« Reply #7 on: 21:07:37, 03/05/14 »
Hi yes I am still wanting info if you have any Thanks :)
Are you still interested in info of All Saints Tavern?

Jerseylin

« Reply #8 on: 11:49:08, 04/05/14 »
Hi just seen your reply I'm delighted to be able to supply you with some info. I lived at 12 Berwick St which was the street in between the All Saints Tavern and the Wellington Inn on the other side if the road. I remember Vincent a bit more than Anthony, I went to school with Jane Howard who I was in contact with upto a few years ago so I'm presuming she'd sill living in Skye. and also my mother lived in the same street as Ginny Howard! so there's a connection all round! I remember going into the "outdoor" of the All Saints Tavern with my friend Margaret who also contributes to this site (Secondholiday) when we were about 8 or 9yrs old, each with our sixpenny piece to buy a bag of crisps each, your grandmother came over to serve us we told her what we wanted and she walked away asking "what flavour" Margaret said Cheese and Onion and I remembered that my sister who was older than me and working by this time had brought home what I thought were hamburger flavour! so I said "have you go any hamburger" a minute later she came back with Margaret's crisps and said to me "yours will be a few minutes" I'm sure you know where is story is going!! so whilst Margaret is looking at me eating her crisps I'm thinking why are my crisps taking so long! back comes Mrs Lillis with a hamburger on a plate complete with bun and said that 'll be 1/3d, remember I only had 6d in my hand so I came clean and told her it was only hamburger flavour crisps I wanted and I only had 6d, the look on her face told it all. However whilst all his was going on, at the end of the counter sat on a wooden chair was a lady (I can see her now in her red coat and head scarf) drinking her milk stout, her name was May, a regular customer of the pub I should think, who looked at me and said in her Mancunian dulcet tones "yer big dope!!" By the way Mrs Lillis kindly gave me the hamburger for 6d and me and Margaret had half each, It was delicious! Happy memories for a bit of a dope! ::)  Hope this story
is of interest to you (and hopefully made you smile)

Jerseylin

« Reply #9 on: 14:53:36, 04/05/14 »
Forgot to mention my name is Linda Mitchell

mancity1984

« Reply #10 on: 12:46:03, 06/05/14 »
Hi Linda Thank you for your wonderful story!!  ;D  Told it my dad Anthony he could not stop laughing ;D You are right my nana Margaret did have a hamburger machine installed for some daft reason, but needless to say it didn't last long!May who you referred to in the head scarf was a regular from Stetford road and was 'Little May' and the room you was served from was the snug.My elder sister contacted the brewery Burton on trent and they sent a picture of the all saints tavern, in the pici was a Duncan & Fosters van, the Wellington & the Galloway pubs.  My dad Anthony was over the moon with the picture and had it framed.My dad Anthony married my mum Lynn and lived there with my nana Margaret until the pub was demolished in 1972 then moved to Fallowfield near our beloved Man citys ground!!All our extended family either went to St Augustine's or Cavendish street schools and still class all saints as our spiritual home, great times.Thanks so much for getting in touch (Anthonys youngest daughter Ria Lillis) x :)
Forgot to mention my name is Linda Mitchell

Jerseylin

« Reply #11 on: 16:24:15, 09/05/14 »
I'm glad you enjoyed my story Ria. it's funny your Dad saying I still his spiritual home because I think the same, I sometimes thought I was a bit odd but now know I'm no alone, your Dad's as odd as I am. I was glad about the info on May and that I was in the snug not the outdoor. I love searching out all the old photos of the area on line, I've seen loads and it always takes me right back, there's a photo on the old Manchester Site C On M All Saints etc with a photo of all the kids on the "sharra" waiting to go to Southport for the day and there I am with my friend Margaret, I've never seen it before, I can't remember anybody taking any photos so that was a lovely surprise.

I'll keep looking to see if any other stories come up

Best wishes Linda :)

Jerseylin

« Reply #12 on: 16:35:38, 09/05/14 »
Hi Ria, it's Linda again. I read somewhere on this site that it was either your Dad Tony or Vincent  mentioned they didn't leave the area until 1972, would you ask them if they knew where the Partington's who ran the pub on the other side of the road, The Wellington, moved to, I've head nothing about them since I moved in about 1963, I remember coming back to visit the street on a lovely sunny day, I had my dog with me and Graham Partington the son who was about a year older than me coming over to say hello and that was the last I saw or knew of him (I sometimes wonder if I dreamt this :-\)

Any info would be appreciated.

mancity1984

« Reply #13 on: 12:38:55, 12/05/14 »
Hi Linda, Ria here my dad said the Partington's left the Wellington early sixty's about 1963 probably not long after you left.  From then on there was quite a few tenants coming and going whilst we remained in the Tavern.Dad thinks they moved to another pub in Salford, although not 100% sure.How ironic that all three pubs on York Street was demolished, and now the two buildings on either side of York Street and Grosvenor Street are now converted into student bars and clubs.  He says if only we could have looked into the future! I am going to post the photograph my dad has of the corner of Berwick street showing the Tavern and The Wellington pubs.  :) Take care Ria. x
Hi Ria, it's Linda again. I read somewhere on this site that it was either your Dad Tony or Vincent  mentioned they didn't leave the area until 1972, would you ask them if they knew where the Partington's who ran the pub on the other side of the road, The Wellington, moved to, I've head nothing about them since I moved in about 1963, I remember coming back to visit the street on a lovely sunny day, I had my dog with me and Graham Partington the son who was about a year older than me coming over to say hello and that was the last I saw or knew of him (I sometimes wonder if I dreamt this :-\ )

Any info would be appreciated.

Jerseylin

« Reply #14 on: 16:54:27, 13/05/14 »
Thanks Ria,

I've probably seen the photos you're referring to but I'll still look forward to seeing them, I didn't realise that The Wellington was occupied by different landlords after we left, just presumed the Partington's stayed on, but thanks for asking for me. I have some photos from my house in Berwick St plus the two shops on the corners of Brook St and Grosvenor St, the shops were called Hollendrakes on one side of the road and Peters on the other, Peters had pugs and poodles and a parrot!! didn't go in there much because it was over the road and my mum wouldn't let me cross without her, I used to say "can I cross the road when I'm seven?" I don't think she would have let me cross when I was 14 never mind 7! if we'd stayed there! I used to buy Superman comics and those USA Monster magazines, just to frighten the life out of myself, like you said in hindsight I wish I'd kept all those magazines, they're really collectable now.

Best wishes Linda