Author Topic: Openshaw Technical High School  (Read 17595 times)

HarryM

Openshaw Technical High School
« on: 14:23:38, 04/12/11 »
I was there from 1957 to 1960 before going to Mather & Platts. When did the school close down? It was a grim looking building next to the Railway. The teachers wore gowns and mortar boards. Very strict but it was a good school. Mr Organ was the headmaster.

Show me an orange and I'll show you the world. Woody Allan

Dottydot62

Re: Openshaw Technical High School
« Reply #1 on: 20:57:05, 04/11/14 »
Hi I saw your message on here and joined as I would like to know did you find out when this school closed down? I was looking on line to see if this was ever a school and seen your post, I always thought it had always been a college, hope to hear from you Dot

JohnM

« Reply #2 on: 22:12:05, 09/11/14 »
Openshaw Technical School (boys only) was on Pottery Lane next to Ashbury's Station. Openshaw Technical College was nearby just off Aston Old Rd. The school closed I think in the early 70's, replaced by Moston Brook High School, North Rd, Moston. I think the college is now a redeveloped campus known as the Openshaw Campus of Manchester College.

mikemoreton

« Reply #3 on: 19:16:35, 08/09/15 »
Went to Openshaw tech 1956 to 1959. The head was indeed Mr Organ. The deputy Head was Mr Evans and the gym teacher I think was called Mr Dean. The maths teacher was a pleasant old guy (can't remember his name)  given to shouting " Praise the Lord" on occasions. I remember my best mates were Colin Stevenson and Norman Fisher.

alymo

« Reply #4 on: 00:53:49, 23/10/15 »
Went to Openshaw tech 1956 to 1959. The head was indeed Mr Organ. The deputy Head was Mr Evans and the gym teacher I think was called Mr Dean. The maths teacher was a pleasant old guy (can't remember his name)  given to shouting " Praise the Lord" on occasions. I remember my best mates were Colin Stevenson and Norman Fisher.

Bilfox

« Reply #5 on: 13:23:43, 23/10/15 »
I also went to Openshaw Tech from 1955 to 1959.The gym teacher was Mr Whiteley,Mr Dean was the English teacher but also did sports (mostly football),on Mellands Fields near Belle Vue.Mr Evans was deputy head and also did science,and Mr Wood was maths and (I think) religion.Mr Chessil was chemistry and Mr Organ was Headmaster.My best mates were Bill Parkinson and Dave Wagstaffe.The school badge was a beehive with the initials 0.S.T.S.(Openshaw Secondary Technical School) underneath.Funny how I can remember all that but can't remember where I put my car keys down last night. :)

HarryM

« Reply #6 on: 21:17:09, 25/11/15 »
The initials I believe were OTHS. Mr Organ was the headmaster. He had a bald head and we used to call him 'pan shine'. Mr Dean was the English and sports teacher. Didn't get on with him. He gave me the cane on my first week for going back into his class as I had forgotten my PE shorts. As a result I then got put in detention by my form master for 'letting the side down'. Great start! We call them the good old days.

Mr Wood was a brilliant maths teacher and edited a school magazine called Mathematical Pie. Who was the history teacher?
Show me an orange and I'll show you the world. Woody Allan

stevep21

« Reply #7 on: 21:44:38, 13/12/15 »
I was at Openshaw in the late 50s to the early 60s before my family moved to the West Country. I remember a teddy boy type thug who was ahead by a year or two and who had a really nasty go at one of our classmates called Mike Palmer, a really nice guy, over nothing. I believe this guy Eric something went on to be the lead guitarist of Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders and later of 10cc. In 1966 I went to Leeds University and met my wife at Leeds and Carnegie Teacher Training College. Two of the lecturers there were Mr Dean who taught English to my wife and Mr Whitely the PhysEd teacher. Strange coincidence. I got the cane from Mr Whitely once and it was a huge stick!  I now live near Brisbane in Australia. Steve Pyott (known as Percy) Happy memories of school trips to the Lake District staying at Hammarbank.
« Last Edit: 21:57:50, 13/12/15 by stevep21 »

alymo

« Reply #8 on: 23:48:19, 08/02/16 »
Went to Openshaw Tech around 1959, started in 1C and then the year after in 2D and from there didn't move up to any of the other forms. My school mates were Alan Smith, James Gilmore, Barry Slevin, Eric Snowden. Used to get the strap across the backside many times for acting the fool and although I left with hardly any qualifications, they were the best days of my life. The headmaster, Mr Organ, we called " the dome" . I suppose I was good at gymnastics and looked on George Whitley, PE teacher as a father figure, but he caught me smoking and dropped me from the team.
Years later I had a real estate company in Spain and sold a property to an old friend of his who told me he died of cancer as he smoked like a chimney when not in school. Bloody hypocrite ! My name is Alan (Tiny) Cowell.

Bilfox

« Reply #9 on: 13:18:07, 09/02/16 »
I got caught smoking behind the bike sheds and was sent to the headmasters office.Mr Organ said that smoking would turn me into a spineless jellyfish and addle my brain.When I pointed out that Mr Evans,the Physics teacher never had a cig out of his mouth he got a bit upset and suspended me for two days as "punishment"Happy days. :)

paulayo

« Reply #10 on: 20:35:13, 11/10/18 »
Re OTHS. I was a pupil there from 1966-68. The school then merged with Newton Heath Technical College (I think) to create Moston Brook High School. During my time there we referred to the bald headteacher, Mr. Organ, as 'The Dome'. I also remember the German teacher, Herr Muller. I think it was a good school but I wasn't a good pupil. I left Moston Brook High School when I was 15 and worked in various offices for several years whilst studying at night school for O and A levels. At age 22, 1977, I managed to get into the University of Manchester and graduated in 1980 with an Hons Degree in Politics and Modern History. I then did a teaching qualification (PGCE) and, after attending the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, was commissioned into the Royal Army Educational Corps (Now AGC (ETS) as an Education Officer. I eventually became a Major and, given my negative attitude towards school, became passionate about learning. I'm now 63 and still involved in developing people. My name is Paul Ayo and 'hi' to anyone who remembers me. Cheers, Paul

ronyrash

« Reply #11 on: 17:11:50, 14/10/18 »
Openshaw Tech also run night classes for apprentices.I lasted a few weeks, never did become an electrician, but the experiance as been very useful over the years.
Out or Nowt? Ready for Out.

trevor webb

« Reply #12 on: 15:27:50, 30/11/18 »
I was at this school from 1964 to 68. First year OK as big brother was in year 5. After that I was bullied. Love to meet the bullies now. Would pay for the privilege. Head master was nicknamed the Dome. Who was the German Teacher that was always drunk in the afternoons. Possibly Mr North? There were two masters called Wood. One was nicknamed Chippy and other Chopper. I was friends with Phil Thompson (died of Aids in 1987 after sharing a contaminated heroin needle) and John Shorthose. There was also a little fella called Ronnie Richmond hanging about with us. I got 4 "o" levels, then 25 in government and 17 years in banking. Now retired and planning to move to Asia. Hey ho. 

Tara Goodwin

« Reply #13 on: 23:16:34, 05/03/19 »
Hi my name is Tara Goodwin and I'm the daughter of David Winder who attended Openshaw Technical school around the same time. My Dad just celebrated his golden wedding anniversary and would love to trace his best man David Leonard Moloney . I wondered if you are able to help. They also had 2 other friends. Derek Wilcox and Robert Collins . If you know any of these names I would love to hear back from you .
Thank you

JoyceC

« Reply #14 on: 15:26:39, 18/08/20 »
Hi Tara
I think my husband may be the R Collins that you are searching for.  How can we contact you or can you contact us?
JoyceC