Author Topic: Openshaw Technical High School  (Read 17635 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Openshaw Technical High School
« Reply #15 on: 18:52:54, 18/08/20 »
Hi ladies, you can send each other personal messages on here to begin with

Celeste
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Gordonv

« Reply #16 on: 13:17:20, 19/02/21 »
I went to this school after primary which was in 1965 ish until it closed so that must have been around 1968.
The school merged with Newton Heath high school and we went into the newly built Moston Brook high school.
I forgot most teachers names but from previous entries in this forum I recognised the head as being called the dome. How do folk remember these names!!!. We had a maths teacher called Pye which is about all I can remember really.
I am in touch with one of my best buddies from school on facebook but otherwise thats it. I am retired now and living comfortably in a semi rural village in Halifax.

Gordonv

« Reply #17 on: 13:23:06, 19/02/21 »
I got caught smoking behind the bike sheds and was sent to the headmasters office.Mr Organ said that smoking would turn me into a spineless jellyfish and addle my brain.When I pointed out that Mr Evans,the Physics teacher never had a cig out of his mouth he got a bit upset and suspended me for two days as "punishment"Happy days. :)

I remember that smoking behind the bike sheds. We sometimes used to climb the wall behind the bike sheds on to the station platform to wag of the last couple of lessons..  :-\

Eric Livesey

« Reply #18 on: 22:24:00, 27/06/21 »
Hi my name is Tara Goodwin and I'm the daughter of David Winder who attended Openshaw Technical school around the same time. My Dad just celebrated his golden wedding anniversary and would love to trace his best man David Leonard Moloney . I wondered if you are able to help. They also had 2 other friends. Derek Wilcox and Robert Collins . If you know any of these names I would love to hear back from you .
Thank you

Eric Livesey

« Reply #19 on: 22:35:53, 27/06/21 »
Dave Winder was the cleverest guy in our year group.  I think the name Tara is looking for is Roger H Collins.  I'm  not sure what became of any of him, Dave Moloney, and your Dad.  It would be interesting to know.  I retired as Assistant Headteacher at a Hertfordshire comprehensive school a number of years ago now.  It would be good if a reunion could be arranged after this covid situation subsides.  I have good memories  of Old Tom's Hat Shop! Eric Livesey

PF

« Reply #20 on: 18:26:59, 04/09/22 »
I attended Openshaw Technical Collefe in 1964 and 1965 before moving to Canada.
I remember 2 teachers, Mr. Baum a science teacher and a shop teacher by the name of Mr. Ogden.
I had no idea that the school was closed.

lozflan

« Reply #21 on: 10:43:08, 06/09/22 »
Did Yachtmasters course in evenings at O penshaw Tech.
U unfortunately my yacht only got as far as the bath.
Turned out I was good at weather forecasting.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

pdk

« Reply #22 on: 18:35:09, 02/08/23 »
I was at OTHS from 1956 until 1961, entering the school aged 13. I am in contact with 9 other old boys who entered in 1956 if anyone is interested in joining our whatsapp group

alymo

« Reply #23 on: 19:39:01, 02/08/23 »
Hi My name is Alan Cowell ( Nickname :-Tiny) and I attended 1958 to 1962 Do I know you ? Friends were James Gilmore , Barry Slevin, Alan Smith Eric Snowden to name just a few .

Mike moreton

« Reply #24 on: 17:45:27, 13/09/23 »
I was there around the same time. I'd be interested to know who is in your WhatsApp group.

alymo

« Reply #25 on: 11:52:35, 14/09/23 »
Hello Mike, sorry but I don’t have anyone in my WhatsApp group. The only person that I am in contact with is Alan Smith who attended the same years as I did. Regs Alan

Mike moreton

« Reply #26 on: 12:04:07, 14/09/23 »
Sorry, the message was meant for tdk. Can't figure out how to reply to messages from a particular user.  :-[

Mike moreton

« Reply #27 on: 12:04:47, 14/09/23 »
Meant pdk!

RonnieRed

« Reply #28 on: 04:18:37, 23/09/23 »
Went to OTHS 60-65. What a BLAST. Useless academically but learned a lot more than I though, for that I'm grateful. Life, to me, back then was about fun. I suspect I grew my humour after noticing 'Big Name' lads seemed to like me and I figured the bullies would lay-off. So it was . . . RI in the library on Thursday around a nice table and I tore into the Bible, and our table became the bad boys, along with a few of the well-known hard-man. So 'little me' Mr Nothing learned a place in this mini-society. Even The Dome seemed to 'kind-of' like me, Tong the French teacher, Dixie Dean who was English and Football (he had the links to Utd and City) and sent the good players for trial (not me I point out, I dreamed of it though). Golly in the art room, missing his middle finger on his right hand (told different stories every week over pottery class!!), good art teacher though. Me and Lester Thorpe sharpened our comedic imaginations  during a 'Golly showing-off session with his big, fancy art books'!He didn't appreciate us bursting out laughing during some big-time serious  moment!! Joe Rocca, Geography -- what a gem of a bloke -- not to mention his famous question during class: "Are there any Ramblerrrrs in here?" Mr Fielding (Maths and maybe others, left himself open to pure abuse and open humour by walking into his first lesson with his flyhole open). '[censored]' was the first shout when he turned to applly chalk to board, and again, and again etc, etc!!! Chippy Wood, big tall Maths teacher, smashing bloke . . . but he wasn't  too happy with the term 'Boney Dick' being yelled at him in corridoors and classes. Nasty Hulton (Houlton) Tech Drawing/Woodwork/Metal etc. Kind of a misfit. Harry Crossley (Arry Rag to us) Music and other stuff, just a gently bloke, probably gay we though?? There was a polish teacher too can't remember his name. The German teacher  mentioned in and earlier note I do remember. In totality . . . WHAT AN EXPERIENCE. Ooooo,  forgot, we had a dinner lady who was not very friendly and got angry if you didn't take 'the next plate' but selected one that may have more  food on it!! So she would  grab the meat and tear it in half and move it to another plate just to be awkward. She had a 'knife and fork' hair cut, and reminded me of a dog, so after me 'christening' her with the name, we produced pictures of a dog face and a thumb-crossed-with-a-fork (with line through it)  and everyone wore the badges one day and refused meat where she was serving. Of course it devastated the poor woman -- I think back to such acts of protest and regret the extreme -- but there were no more thumbs in the meat. Neville Bowne, i kind of purist of life teacher, very appropriate in every way, but made the 'mistake' of chewing his food 30 times. His over-the-top mastication captured our eyes (the bad boys) . . . so, during his noshing and chomping just one dessert spoon loaded with mashed potatoes packed tight, could be flicked over  one's shoulder with no chance of  being spotted. Whether it hit or missed (him) it caused havoc in the packed dining room. So many more disruptive, anti-social antics, but I've  gone on enough. You may hate me, and I would  understand, but I'm not a bad  bloke!! SOOO many more. Who went to Sivori's at the corner of Ashton New Rd???

Parky

« Reply #29 on: 07:55:57, 23/09/23 »
Great story Ronnie  ,thanks for sharing  O0