Author Topic: Chic Taylor of The Bossa Nova Club, Todd Street, Manchester  (Read 15131 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
I have permission to post a pm from Chic Taylor's son Don  :)

Hi Celeste
it is indeed a smaller world than we think.
It\'s endearing to hear you can still cunjure an image of my Dad Chic,And pleasing to think how popular he was.I remember as a lad going with him often to the Bossa Nova in the day-time,if i were off school on through the holidays and weekends ,whilst he sorted out all the business of ordering, phone calls , appointments etc.  Many hours I spent in there on the stage and drinking coca cola from the original glass bottles, playing on the drum set and tinkling on the piano hour after hour,Chic had a few sessions on the drums which blew my mind at the time, and when he played the piano I was hypnotised. Think my Dad left me to it maybe in the hope I had some hidden talent lol.

Strange how life can be ,because a few years after he passed away I did infact join a band and played as a drummer for 3 yrs. Memories eh !

Well it is so nice that his name still lives on and it never surprises me how many people actually knew him and carry only good memories, A Great Guy with like you mentioned a jovial smile and carried a lot of presence about him.
Still miss him like crazy, but i suppose I would eh.
Thank-you so much for sharing some thoughts and memories,you have brought a smile to my face and I welcome any futher comments.I do have some photos which I am thinking of placing on the Manchester Forum site soon, It may jog otherS to remember their time at the Club. I also recall some memories about Chic when he was a Band leader, regular at the Ritz Ballroom Manchester,I was there a few times when I was very young and remember looking in fascination as the Grand central stage turned around slowly revealing a large band almost orchestra like with my Dad at the helm,He gave my £5.00 once saying "You can keep that Son" if i danced,I danced my little heart out lol,Alot of money to such a small kid so i danced the danced and earned that 5 pounds.,Don\'t think i was too shy as i recall,Abit of a confident kid,and cheeky with it but never disrespectfull. It would be interesting to find out more if anyone out there,attended any of these nights at the Ritz,Or could perhaps name the band he was in,There must be still people about who would know hopefully,Now that would be something extra,As i was very young at the time and did\'nt really take it all in
 Chic also spent some time as a Boxer,Because i still have a few newspaper cuttings from The Manchester Evening News Titked  A NIGHT A THE GPO,there are pictures of boxer\'s who fought on the night and my Dad, Chic had won a major bout,The picture shows him recieving a trophy,This event was when i was a baby,I have,nt got the cutting to hand at this moment but it will show the date.He only looked around 19yrs old.
There is alot i would like to know from the people out there who may have spent time around him,Or had dealings with him private or otherwise.It always been a facination with me,Although he had more children, 5 boys and 2 girls,I seemed he took me with him more often,And for whatever reason,Chic named me after himself,
His full name being
                            Patric Albert Chic Taylor
And naming me, Don Patric Albert Chic Taylor,for which i feel honoured.

So Thanks Celeste Thank-you indeed. O0

« Last Edit: 17:49:37, 08/12/11 by celeste »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Photos when you're ready Don ;)

Greengate Girl

O0 A good interesting post, Celestexx.
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

Adsum

I have permission to post a pm from Chic Taylor's son Don  :)

Hi Celeste
it is indeed a smaller world than we think.
It\'s endearing to hear you can still cunjure an image of my Dad Chic,And pleasing to think how popular he was.I remember as a lad going with him often to the Bossa Nova in the day-time,if i were off school on through the holidays and weekends ,whilst he sorted out all the business of ordering, phone calls , appointments etc.  Many hours I spent in there on the stage and drinking coca cola from the original glass bottles, playing on the drum set and tinkling on the piano hour after hour,Chic had a few sessions on the drums which blew my mind at the time, and when he played the piano I was hypnotised. Think my Dad left me to it maybe in the hope I had some hidden talent lol.

Strange how life can be ,because a few years after he passed away I did infact join a band and played as a drummer for 3 yrs. Memories eh !

Well it is so nice that his name still lives on and it never surprises me how many people actually knew him and carry only good memories, A Great Guy with like you mentioned a jovial smile and carried a lot of presence about him.
Still miss him like crazy, but i suppose I would eh.
Thank-you so much for sharing some thoughts and memories,you have brought a smile to my face and I welcome any futher comments.I do have some photos which I am thinking of placing on the Manchester Forum site soon, It may jog otherS to remember their time at the Club. I also recall some memories about Chic when he was a Band leader, regular at the Ritz Ballroom Manchester,I was there a few times when I was very young and remember looking in fascination as the Grand central stage turned around slowly revealing a large band almost orchestra like with my Dad at the helm,He gave my £5.00 once saying "You can keep that Son" if i danced,I danced my little heart out lol,Alot of money to such a small kid so i danced the danced and earned that 5 pounds.,Don\'t think i was too shy as i recall,Abit of a confident kid,and cheeky with it but never disrespectfull. It would be interesting to find out more if anyone out there,attended any of these nights at the Ritz,Or could perhaps name the band he was in,There must be still people about who would know hopefully,Now that would be something extra,As i was very young at the time and did\'nt really take it all in
 Chic also spent some time as a Boxer,Because i still have a few newspaper cuttings from The Manchester Evening News Titked  A NIGHT A THE GPO,there are pictures of boxer\'s who fought on the night and my Dad, Chic had won a major bout,The picture shows him recieving a trophy,This event was when i was a baby,I have,nt got the cutting to hand at this moment but it will show the date.He only looked around 19yrs old.
There is alot i would like to know from the people out there who may have spent time around him,Or had dealings with him private or otherwise.It always been a facination with me,Although he had more children, 5 boys and 2 girls,I seemed he took me with him more often,And for whatever reason,Chic named me after himself,
His full name being
                            Patric Albert Chic Taylor
And naming me, Don Patric Albert Chic Taylor,for which i feel honoured.

So Thanks Celeste Thank-you indeed. O0

Reading the above brought back a long forgotten happy memory of Chic. Way back in the 70s a group of of us who used to work the night shift at ICL in West Gorton used to go to the Victoria baths on Hathersage road every Friday morning after finishing work. It was like a mini social club with the same people going every week. Apart from the usual swimming baths there were various other treatments available.

One of these was a huge Sauna/steam room where we men would be all sitting around naked and chatting. One of these men was Chic, who was a great joker. The steam was so great that sometimes it was difficult to see. Usually at this point Chic would get up and go out of the room to appear seconds later grinning broadly, and clutching a bucket full if icy cold water which he threw all over us. We would all squeal like stuck pigs as the icy water hit us, and Chic would let out this mighty roar of laughter. As I am typing this I have a mental image of Chic standing in the doorway of the steam room bucket in hand and I can hear his laughter ringing out.
In the 60s I often frequented the Bossa Nova club amongst other clubs such as the Green door in Shude Hill, when the likes of Jacky Carlton, Al Showman and many others performed there.  Happy days..... :) 
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

celeste

• Global Moderator
Thanks for that Adsum, I'm sure that will bring a huge grin to Don's face

Happy days indeed

curbsfan

Hi Celeste,

I was a member of the Bossa Nova Club in the mid seventies.

I still have my yellow membership card - and stamped in red ink is the Expiry Date: 28 Jul 1975.

Pete and me used to go on Friday nights before moving on to another club aound midnight.

Don't laugh, but I used to order sausage and chips for a pound, and then watched the strip tease acts. My meal was brought out on a trolly, 'your sausage and chips are ready'...

When we left we chatted for a few moments with a nice, old guy sat at the top of the stairs - was that Chic?

The Boosa Nova was a great, nice and laid back.

Happy memories.

celeste

• Global Moderator
Crikey I hope Don Taylor, Chic's son sees your post, my father owned the building and leased it to Chic - I never knew anything about it at the time 'cept remembering Chic's name being mentioned :)
lets hope more people come on and post who went there the same time as yourself O0

Guyfawkes

How crazy is this. Just returned from living abroad for 25 years and about 4 weeks ago I met up with a good friend who together with other mates we spent many a teenage laugh going in this club and actually talking about it but could not remember the name.  The usual night was The Salisbury, couple on Market Street a stroll  round the shambles ( I remember Safeway being there) followed by a fantastic 3am finish in the Bossa Nova. Very very good days and if I was broke I used to walk home to Merseybank, never ever saw any trouble and always felt safe. Would not fancy that walk now I hasten to add. Brilliant memories.
"Wake up Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you"

migky

I'm a bit like Marmite

TheOneUK

Hi Everyone

Here are some great pictures,Most speak for them selfs,But if anyone has any info,It would be greatly appreciated
Sorry i can't post more in one go ,Problems with file size,but i'm working on it
Don P.A.C.Taylor
Don TheOne

TheOneUK

Hi Again
Some more pics to stir up memories ,Good i hope
 Don P.A.C.Taylor
Don TheOne

TheOneUK

Hi
Another look into the past  Interesting Eh ! Sure Is
If you know anything about when or where or if you recognize anyone ,Please feel free to add

Don P.A.C.Taylor
Don TheOne

TheOneUK

I have more Picture's which need a clean up.I will post them when ready
Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Don P.A.C.Taylor....
Don TheOne

TheOneUK

Hi All

Today has been a good day to remember,I am looking at a absolutely classic photo,Which i can't wait to share,Needs some cleaning because of damage but i will have it up on site within 48 hrs of this posting.
For now another flash from the past...Enjoy
I will be back on this site in a short while with further postings.
So grateful to be involved

Don P.A.C.Taylor
Don TheOne

Adsum

Hi Everyone

Here are some great pictures,Most speak for them selfs,But if anyone has any info,It would be greatly appreciated
Sorry i can't post more in one go ,Problems with file size,but i'm working on it
Don P.A.C.Taylor

Don. I hope you don't mind, but I took a bit of a liberty with your dads picture. I tried to remove some of the scratches. It's not brilliant but it gives you an idea of what can be done to old precious photographs that people think are beyond saving.

If you like it, I can clean up the other photo also , then you can print off some half decent copies for the family.

P.S. he's just as I remember him when he used to throw ice cold water over us all in the steam room at High St. baths.  ;D

« Last Edit: 16:46:53, 29/07/13 by Adsum »
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.