Author Topic: Freme Street  (Read 7467 times)

Bengy

Freme Street
« on: 14:36:14, 06/02/12 »
I would really appreciate your help/

I am trying to locate FREME STREET for an elderly person, now living near London. I believe it was still "there" in the 1950's but has since been redeveloped and the street lost.

Some references tell me it is in Ardwick, others Chorlton on Medlock.  I am trying to find the location so I can buy the correct "oldmap"

So is it possible you can tell me where it would be in relation to current streets/landmarks in Manchester, or possibly a nearby street or landmark that would enable me to buy the correct map.

Thanks and regards

Bengy

Cupcake

Re: Freme Street
« Reply #1 on: 16:20:29, 06/02/12 »
I'm no expert or historian, but it's possible both are correct, as Ardwick and Chorlton upon Medlock are bang next door to one another.  Freme Street may well have run across the boundary and existed in both districts.   

Best of luck!
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

Rocles

« Reply #2 on: 18:42:16, 07/02/12 »
If it helps, there's reference to Freme Street being at the corner of Elton Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock. This was located on the West side of Upper Brook Street, i'd guess around where the Mancunian way and University buildings are now
 Try a google for "1935 manchester maps", there's an excellent free one online, but I'm not allowed to post a link to it
« Last Edit: 18:50:44, 07/02/12 by Rocles »

Cupcake

« Reply #3 on: 20:19:35, 07/02/12 »
Oooooh, that is a spiffy map!  Came up top google hit, and I found Freme Street in a couple of mins.  If you click on square 3c, then as it comes up there's a green square that was Plymouth Rec Ground then.  Freme Street is just to the right and up a bit.  Hope it's the right one!
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

jamesok

« Reply #4 on: 23:09:42, 29/08/12 »
I apparently had my great, great grandads family live at no.40 - and were there in 1911 (census says) ;)

Kadgill

« Reply #5 on: 22:32:53, 11/12/12 »
I lived on Belmont terrace which was on the corner of freme st and it was chorlton on medlock I lived there from 1956 to 1968

Biggles

« Reply #6 on: 15:31:13, 30/12/13 »
I apparently had my great, great grandads family live at no.40 - and were there in 1911 (census says) ;)

My great grandparents lived at number 63.  Elizabeth and John Moore. I am trying to do the family tree thing.

neil stott

« Reply #7 on: 21:01:47, 03/01/16 »
Hello I lived on freme street from 1941 to1960 at #54 and #27 my name was  and is Neil Stott

Alan Pilkington

I would really appreciate your help/

I am trying to locate FREME STREET for an elderly person, now living near London. I believe it was still "there" in the 1950's but has since been redeveloped and the street lost.

Some references tell me it is in Ardwick, others Chorlton on Medlock.  I am trying to find the location so I can buy the correct "oldmap"

So is it possible you can tell me where it would be in relation to current streets/landmarks in Manchester, or possibly a nearby street or landmark that would enable me to buy the correct map.

Thanks and regards

Bengy

Wanda Burke

« Reply #9 on: 17:27:05, 30/09/16 »
Niel Stott...I remember your family...I lived at number 46 with my mum and dad.

Wanda Burke

« Reply #10 on: 17:29:01, 30/09/16 »
Freme Street was definatly Chorlton on Medlock...Manchester 13.

Frank Wilson

« Reply #11 on: 20:07:21, 22/10/16 »
Freme Street ran  next to, Plymouth Grove between, it and Stockport Rd (A6). It lay at the top of Churchill Street and running north till it cut into the top end of Everton Road,on which I lived mid 40's to mid 50's. y
PS. One of my neighbours living opposite me actually lived on Freme Street but a lot later than when I lived on the area.
There is an excellent old map of the area in The University of Manchester Library Image Collection image collection number JRL1300160 (sorry cant post a direct link here)
It would have been in the boundary of C-0n-M. The bound's of both Ardwick and Longsight where very close by in each case.

John Howard Norfolk

« Reply #12 on: 09:45:44, 28/11/16 »

My own Howard family lived at 44 Freme Street.

GeorgElsieJackFrancis

« Reply #13 on: 23:18:30, 11/12/20 »
My grandad George Francis lived 18 Freme Street after WW1 His friend and best man was a Jack Bunnage..
George married Elsie Brindle Xmas  day 1921
At the Octagon church Longsight