Author Topic: Anyone Grow Up In Openshaw?  (Read 69626 times)

terrygirl

Re: Anyone Grow Up In Openshaw?
« Reply #15 on: 13:42:13, 13/04/12 »
The family was called Nelson.

He left about 1967 if my memory is right.

pinkhazel

« Reply #16 on: 23:39:19, 13/04/12 »
Nope....We're not having much luck!!! :o ....Never mind...it was nice chatting anyway!!!! O0
Any Unattended Children Will Be Given An Expresso & A Free Kitten!!

Terrence Henderson

« Reply #17 on: 18:57:02, 15/04/12 »
If you ever go around the pubs in Openshaw, see the oldies in their striped shell-suit loungers, the trousers they wear to bed, and do socials with .... and baseball caps pretending to be young and fit, you will know that no one that stayed there grew-up! In fact they retired at 15 when leaving school.
Hate political bigots!

pinkhazel

« Reply #18 on: 22:57:16, 15/04/12 »
So you was the odd-ball that used to prop up the bar 24/7 in the Leigh Arms!!!

sheilanz

« Reply #19 on: 23:13:26, 15/04/12 »
Oh did,nt he emigrate,  I saw him in the Mall last week

Terrence Henderson

« Reply #20 on: 23:14:55, 15/04/12 »
So you was the odd-ball that used to prop up the bar 24/7 in the Leigh Arms!!!

Can you tell me where the Leigh Arms is?
Hate political bigots!

sheilanz

« Reply #21 on: 23:39:59, 15/04/12 »
Firstly my name  is   Sheila     not Sheel             ok

2nd I know how old I am, can still remember some things ok.,

3rd.. What is seen on the post is just what I typed, 

Take it or leave it, cause my point of view might be a tad
different to others, BUT that does,nt mean I am off my head

Right now start again, what did you want to say??

pinkhazel

« Reply #22 on: 23:58:35, 15/04/12 »

Can you tell me where the Leigh Arms is?

Well you seem to be the expert tour guide 2012 of Openshaw....so you should know where it is!!!....also an expert on all the lovely,honest.hard working residents that resided there all their lives....including my parents!!!...Keep your nasty sarcastic comments to yourself in future!!!...and my lovely friend's name is SHEILA...!!!

Terrence Henderson

« Reply #23 on: 00:12:11, 16/04/12 »
Really?
Hate political bigots!

Hovis St.

« Reply #24 on: 23:43:24, 18/05/12 »
Hi Again!

The only family I knew on Victoria St were the Blackshaws...can't remember the parents names..but they had 3 daughters...2 of them were called Tracey & Fiona...Other families in the area were the Dixons...the Shores...the Marsdens...the Watsons...the Parrys...the Seniors...I remember a piece of waste ground facing the houses on Victoria St...We called it the Piggy...and always had the local bonfire on there...Harry who owned the shop in Staton St always provided Treacle Toffee & lots of goodies for us kids!! ;) ...perhaps you might remember The Potters who had the corner shop top of Hovis St?...Me & my friend used to drool over one of their sons! ;D ...and Barry Potter played in a band with my brother David...I'll email my brother & see if he remembers you...he's a lot older than me...so you never know!!!

Cheerio for Now!!!

Hiya pinkhazel,

I went to Elysian St. school and we lived in Hovis St.  opposite the Potters. I left Elysian St. in 1945 so am a bit older than you. ;) We lived in Hovis St. from 1939 and my parents left there in about 1976/77. My name is Alec Sheldon and I had a younger brother, Peter, who sadly died several years ago. He also attended Elysian St. and went on to go to Wheeler st. I went to Whitworth St. in town.
 I remember the piggy well and the Marsdens, Dixons and Parrys. We lived at 21 and my cousin, Sylvia Littlewood, lived across the road at 24. She is a bit younger than me and she also went to Elysian St.
I joined the Merchant Navy at 17 and did 37 years altogether finishing down here in Dover where I live now. I use to go back to Openshaw quite regularly for a visit staying with my old uncle in  Audenshaw and always took a walk down memory lane (Hovis St.) for old times sake. I haven't been for about five years but take a look now and then on Google St. view. Our old house is still there but Gate St. has been knocked down.
Hope to hear from you soon and swap a few stories.

All the best.........Alec Sheldon.

pinkhazel

« Reply #25 on: 09:00:15, 19/05/12 »
Hi There Alec!!

So nice to read your thread...Wasn't Openshaw just the greatest place when we were kids?...Such Community Spirit...We moved onto North st in about 1965..when I was 2..we formerly lived in Store St down near the English Steel.
I bet our parents knew each other well...My Mam &  Dad were Rose & Fred Tyree...(both sadly passed away now..my Mum only 2 years ago)...My best friend Sandra Atkinson lived at no. 16 Hovis St...We used to talk to each other at night through our bedroom windows...our secret signal was 3 whistles!!... ;D ....My gran lived next door...so we had to be careful she didn't come out and cop us!!....Such fond memories of playing hopscotch in the back entry....my younger brother Mark had a red peddlecar and we'd all pile on it while someone unlucky person pushed us all the way to the bottom!!... :o

I also went to Elysian St...Mr Parnaby was the headmaster...Miss Harrison...Mr Wielding (bless him he was great!!)...Miss Smith...Mrs Ford..Mrs Finley..(music teacher)....oh such fab days...I left in 1974 and went to Central High For Girls on Whitworth St in Town...I notice you also went to school down there...where was it?

Sadly Openshaw is no longer the place you or I would remember....half of the streets have been demolished!!...and most locals have either died or moved away...Glad we still have our memories tho'!!! :smitten:

Love To Hear back from you for a bit more reminising!!!

Hovis St.

« Reply #26 on: 22:46:38, 21/05/12 »
Hiya Hazel, I will reply at length later, having trouble with AOL. I keep getting cut off.

Alec.

Hovis St.

« Reply #27 on: 01:10:35, 31/05/12 »
Sorry for the delay replying Hazel. :-[ Going from your post you say you moved to North St when you were two in '65 so you are only a youngster ;) . I lived in Hovis St. from about 1939 when I was five all through the war years so my memories are a bit different to yours. Like you I went to Elysian St. leaving in 1945 and like you going on to Whitworth St. but it was the Central High School for boys I went to.You asked "where was it". It was in the same building as the girls school in those days but it moved years after I left to go to Kirkmanshulme  Lane.

The only people I remember from North St. were the Westons, Peter and Brian who I knocked about with when we were kids. They must have lived quite near to where you lived and at the top of the street in the last house on the corner of Victoria St. were the Lanes.

In Hovis St. at No. 16 where your friend Sandra lived were the Morgans, Alan and Glenys. Further up at No. 26 were the Potters, who you have mentioned. They moved later and took over the Corner shop. Barry and Ian were their children. My cousin Sylvia Littlewood lived at No. 24, she went to Elysian St. as well.

As I said before I joined the Merchant Navy in 1952 so was away for quite long periods but still came home on leave to stay with my parents. I have some good memories of those streets and also George St. park. It was all red gravel when we were kids and there were a few scraped knees after playing football, I don't remember when it was grassed over. Do you remember the Bowling green? alas it has all gone know but it is still a nice park especially the kids area.

My Mam and Dad were moved out around  1977 to Kenchester Ave. just off Louisa St. to a ground floor flat with an inside toilet and bathroom. Pure luxury :) .

I have a look on Google St. View now and then and what a difference with all the factories knocked down and some nice looking houses in their place. I wonder why they knocked Gate St. down, that was where our chippy was. ;D

Thats all for now Hazel, just off to bed, all the best..............Alec.

Adsum

« Reply #28 on: 20:04:50, 17/06/12 »
I bet our parents knew each other well...My Mam &  Dad were Rose & Fred Tyree.

Hi. Pink.
Did your parents live on Parkhouse St.? and did your dad work for a time at ICL in West Gorton? I am sorry for the delay in joining in on this thread, due to family circumstances I haven't been on here much recently. If we are talking about the same Fred Tyree I will read your reply if there is one, and get back to you as soon as I can.

John.

We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

pinkhazel

« Reply #29 on: 21:21:37, 17/06/12 »
Hi John
Yes we did live on Parkhouse St (formerly North St) and Dad did work at ICL!!...did you know him?...look forward to your reply! :) ...not been on the forum as much as I'd like to myself lately...hope all is well with you.

Pinks