Author Topic: Salvation Army Hospital Ancoats  (Read 45233 times)

Chipsandgravy

Salvation Army Hospital Ancoats
« on: 20:29:38, 18/03/12 »
Hi to all
This is my first post here so apologies if the topic has been covered before.... you appear to be a very knowledgable group of people!
I was born in the Salvation Army hospital in Ancoats in 1964 (may have also been known as the Crossley Hospital?) just wondering if anyone else on the site was born there... does anyone have a picture of the hospital or any other info / memories that they could share with me... many thanks in advance

Chipsandgravy

Cupcake

Re: Salvation Army Hospital Ancoats
« Reply #1 on: 09:55:03, 19/03/12 »
No info, but welcome to the forum, and what a glorious screen name - who doesn't love chips and gravy?!  O0
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

julie

« Reply #2 on: 09:57:05, 19/03/12 »
have you tried manchester central library or the museums :)
fate keeps on happening

pinkhazel

« Reply #3 on: 10:37:50, 19/03/12 »
Hi There...And Welome!

I haven't actually any Info I can share on the hospital..but I did find a piccie..I'm afraid the only connection I have with Ancoats is through my GG Granparents who were Italian Immigrants...I found out they settled in Ancoats "Little Italy" around 1905.

Good Luck with your search!! O0
Any Unattended Children Will Be Given An Expresso & A Free Kitten!!

Greengate Girl

« Reply #4 on: 19:20:15, 19/03/12 »
 ;D Welcome Chipsandgravy. If you ask a question on here there is always
someone who can help. Enjoy the forum. xxxxx

I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

Chipsandgravy

« Reply #5 on: 19:32:37, 19/03/12 »
Well... many thanks to you all for the friendly and informative replies, I'm very impressed with the trouble that people have gone to  O0

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 19:57:03, 19/03/12 »
Well... many thanks to you all for the friendly and informative replies, I'm very impressed with the trouble that people have gone to  O0
I shall add to that by welcoming you to the forum, this history thread is one of the most popular ones on the forum and attracts so many interesting recollections by the posters on here  :) O0
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Manx

« Reply #7 on: 18:22:54, 21/03/12 »
A bit more info' ... O0

'Star Hall' was a mission hall on Pollard Street which runs parallel to Mill street (previously Old Mill street) where Ancoats Hospital was situated and on the other side of the Ashton canal. Star Hall was once a dance hall.

Here's a link to a small Wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossley_Hospital,_Ancoats

A  Manchester Archives search for 'star hall' shows a a few pics'.

The Manchester local image collection -->

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

regards

« Last Edit: 18:35:59, 21/03/12 by Manx »

migky

I'm a bit like Marmite

kvnabor

« Reply #9 on: 18:53:07, 19/05/12 »
Hi to all
This is my first post here so apologies if the topic has been covered before.... you appear to be a very knowledgable group of people!
I was born in the Salvation Army hospital in Ancoats in 1964 (may have also been known as the Crossley Hospital?) just wondering if anyone else on the site was born there... does anyone have a picture of the hospital or any other info / memories that they could share with me... many thanks in advance

Chipsandgravy
---------I am kvnabor-----I used to sit up at the window in my great Aunt's flat watching the trolley buses go by and stop at Wallton house men's home.
Yes I remember it well--I grew up attending Star Hall Citadel.which the hospital came under. they used to have a supply store where we could buy uniforms instruments and supplies--I actually bought my first  S A tambourinefrom there which I still have. My great Aunt Edith Turner lived just along atoun st at grenville place flats         

bluemooner

« Reply #10 on: 23:04:28, 04/04/13 »
I was also born in the Salvation Army hospital but in 1963 and after chatting with my Mum also found out that she too was born there in 1941.
Will try and get some more info from her and post soon.   :)

Bambitina

« Reply #11 on: 13:39:02, 05/05/13 »
I was born in Crossley Hospital in1942 as were most of my cousins, it seemed to be a family tradition. Apparently my Mum was in Miriam ward. I was 4lbs when I was born and, apparently, the nurses surrounded me with hot water bottles (no incubators in those days) and used olive oil to cleanse my skin. I also had a son there in 1969. Is it still open?

Adsum

« Reply #12 on: 14:47:07, 05/05/13 »
Crossley Hospital is long gone. This is the site as it is today. It's now flats.

We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

lozflan

« Reply #13 on: 16:05:59, 05/05/13 »
Ididn,t recognise Pollard st not been down there for yonks, there was a paper re-cycling works there, the late Foo Foo Lamarworked there in the 60,s. Other works were the C.I.S. YOU COULD SMELL RAISINS as you drove past.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Adsum

« Reply #14 on: 08:45:54, 06/05/13 »
Milliners wharf flats in this picture are roughly on the site where Stevensons box works used to be (Foo Foo's old work place) Pollard St.
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.