Author Topic: St Peters R/C Grammar school, Bury old Road, Prestwich  (Read 54504 times)

PaulO

Re: St Peters R/C Grammar school, Bury old Road, Prestwich
« Reply #75 on: 13:27:03, 13/11/21 »
Hi. I've just stumbled across this forum from a search on the school name after listening to a Guy Garvey (Elbow) interview who said (I think) that he was at St Peter's for a while. I've been on a trip down Memory Lane whilst reading through the various posts and thought I'd join in.

I was in the first intake in 1966 and can remember lining up in the quadrangle and being rather confused about the whole situation. I shuffled through my education there in neutral but must have picked up some knowledge and common sense along the way, despite the teachers' reign of fear and the various floggings. I spent most of my time in class doodling pictures of guitars and motorbikes on the back of exercise books and wishing I was in the Beatles/Rolling Stones/Kinks/Deep Purple. Must have done me some good as I've been in bands ever since, own numerous guitars and have toured the West Coast of America in one band.

I remember many of the teachers mentioned in earlier posts:
Mr Levaggi (Chemistry) who regularly handed out a thrashing, deserved or not and taught me absolutely nothing about chemistry;
Mr Walker (Deputy Head) who caned me regularly or sent me home to get my hair cut (usually after Mr Levaggi had sent me down). Strangely, I always liked him;
Mr Hermolle (Headmaster) who stalked the school in his black gown. He had a daughter, with whom I had a brief dalliance. He taught Latin in the second year which I hated but enough filtered through my brain to help me with questions on 'Only Connect' and 'The Chase' so not all wasted :) ;
The music teacher who was a frustrated jazz musician and a nice bloke;
The art teacher who had a huge chalk drawing of a Chinese dragon permanently on the blackboard;
The homicidal woodwork teacher with his 'Cat o' Two Tails';
Mr Hestor (English - I think that was his name) who gave me my love of reading. In our first lesson he dictated a list of about 100 books that he expected us to read. I learned more from him than any other teacher.
Mr Pounder (Maths in the early years) - he had a nice way about him but I was just rubbish at maths.

I was in a band with Paul Knight, Jurko Babzcuk (almost certainly misspelt) and Martino Libertini. We called ourselves 'Satan's Slaves' as I recall - a strange name for a Catholic school band and even more odd as we played mostly Shadows covers. We once did an audition for Opportunity Knocks wearing school uniforms in front of Hughie Green - unsuccessful!

I remember Mike Mason (who was the only pupil apart from me who came from my previous school), John Tickle, Steve Whitfield, David Endsor (Mr Cool), Paul Connolly (he had a scooter in the later years),Geoff Jarvis (still in touch with him), Vince Garvey, etc. Many others but none still in my current circle (apart from Geoff). Maybe some are on here.

Last thing: I loved the school dinners! Favourites: Manchester Tart and the Blueberry Tart.

I'll keep a look out for future posts, Cheers, PO.

FRoth

« Reply #76 on: 19:10:33, 28/03/22 »
Does anyone remember the St Peter’s production of Hamlet in autumn 1970, followed by Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard in 1971?  I was one of the girls brought in from Bury Convent to play the female roles, I played Gertrude. Still have the photos. I can’t remember who else was in it, apart from John McCormack from Openshaw  who played Laertes. Whatever happened to him? Anyone know? Any other members of the cast on here?
I later returned to St Peter’s in 1979 as a student English  teacher on teaching practice for 6 weeks!  Have never taught since. Haha! I guess most of the Hamlet cast would have been in their 4/5th year or in the sixth form.

PaulO

« Reply #77 on: 15:22:58, 01/04/22 »
I think John Tickle may have been in one (or both) of those plays. In fact, I think he may have played Hamlet.

FRoth

« Reply #78 on: 16:49:28, 01/04/22 »
Yes, that might have been his name …. Can’t exactly remember. I have quite a few photos if you’re interested but don’t think they can be posted here…
The guy who played Claudius was allowed to grow a beard for the part which was considered quite cool at the time. I think John McCormack did too as Laertes even though he was only in 5th year.. 😀
Are you still in touch with anyone from then?

PaulO

« Reply #79 on: 07:35:27, 02/04/22 »
LoL - not many of us would have been capable of growing a beard but I know that some did - and were usually sent home for doing it. I'm in touch with Geoff Jarvis (don't think he was in the plays though); Facebook sent me a message asking if I knew him (no idea how the connection was made) and I contacted him because of it. He was a buddy at school (and after) as we played in bands together. He lives in Florida and, after a 35 year gap, we met up in Las Vegas and have kept in touch. Our families have visited a few times since. FB does have its uses!

FRoth

« Reply #80 on: 09:29:30, 02/04/22 »
That’s great that you managed to reconnnect. FB does appear to be psychic sometimes lol.