Author Topic: manchester liners  (Read 16538 times)

lozflan

manchester liners
« on: 14:28:00, 25/06/12 »
anybodys relatives/ friends sail on these ships? .Mine were  m/c spinner--m/c merchant -- m/c   prospector,e.t.c. A great ship. co. sailing out of M/C, bringing jobs @prosperety to our city. Alas no more.//
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Hovis St.

Re: manchester liners
« Reply #1 on: 22:37:04, 29/06/12 »
Hiya lozflan,

I sailed with Manchester Liners from 1956 on and off until 1966. I was on the Progress, Vanguard, City, Regiment, Port, Faith and Fame. Good ships, good crews and good feeders. Happy days.

Alec.

lozflan

« Reply #2 on: 08:33:56, 30/06/12 »
i was on regiment, jan. 1960  my last trip was on explorer an 8/9 monther. happy days. have looked up further history of liners ,/very interesting.ifinished with explorer @sea dec1960.

Hovis St.

« Reply #3 on: 22:02:03, 30/06/12 »
Thanks for your reply lozflan,

I was on the "Regiment" from October to December 1960 and paid off on 20th. Dec, just in time for Christmas so I was there after you.

With regard to the "Manchester Explorer" if you were there for the nine month trip you must have known the bosun, Jan Zdan, a Pole who was an old shipmate of mine on the "Vanguard", a good shipmate. I sailed with him on the "Fame" for two years 1963/65 later.

I tried to get a job on the "Explorer" for the nine month trip as I was single and fancied a long trip but I had no luck as all the jobs were taken. It was a good job according to Jan who told me about it later. I think it was hard work running from Montreal to Goose Bay backward and forwards for months on end but you got paid Canadian dollars on top of your wages for working the cargo at Goose Bay and so had a good pay-off at the end of the trip.

I am trying to put a photo of the "Manchester Vanguard" stuck in the ice in the St. Lawrence river in 1958.

All the best..........Alec Sheldon.

lozflan

« Reply #4 on: 09:25:15, 01/07/12 »
hi alec, great pic. reminds me of goose bay trips, i was engine room , so we did,nt get dollars. did you ever come across a storekeeper called  mooney ,big athletic guy ,no teeth, unforgetable character.

Bbabs

« Reply #5 on: 18:19:51, 01/07/12 »
My husband was a seaman and sailed from Manchester, but it was along time ago, he joined at the age of 14 or 15 the war had just started I think, so he was in all that, also in the Russian convoys. His Dad was an African seaman who settled here in Manchester. He told me lots of interesting stories about his life at sea

Hovis St.

« Reply #6 on: 00:46:04, 02/07/12 »
Hiya lozflan,

I can't remember anyone called Mooney. The names I remember from the engine room are Bert Pollitt, Jimmy Dalton, Paddy Slattery, Larry Cunningham, Len Hornby (ex. wrestler) Jimmy McGladdery, Jan Bouwen (Dutchman), there are more but my memory isn't what it used to be. :-\

Here is a photo of Len Hornby and Jimmy Dalton having smoko just after leaving the locks on the old St. Lawrence Seaway.

Bbabs,
 What was your husbands name as I sailed with a few seamen of African descent on  the "Manchester Progress" in 1956 and on the "Uskmouth" in 1959.

Best regards........Alec Sheldon.

Bbabs

« Reply #7 on: 05:18:29, 02/07/12 »
Hi Alec, my husbands name was Norman Brown, and his Dad was John Teah Brown

migky

« Reply #8 on: 17:39:30, 02/07/12 »
My father was in the merchant navy from 1956 to 1969.
Here is a list of all the ships he sailed on:

1 )  BRITISH FAME
 2 )  CORSEA
 3 )  CRYSTAL DIAMOND
 4 )  ELIZABETH BOWATER
 5 )  ESSO WANDSWORTH
 6 )  EXNING
 7 )  JAVANESE PRINCE
 8 )  JOHN ORWELL PHILLIPS
 9 )  LA COLINA
10 ) LANDWADE
11 ) MANCHESTER CITY
12 ) MANCHESTER EXPLORER
13 ) MANCHESTER MARINER
14 ) MANCHESTER MERCHANT
15 ) MANCHESTER SPINNER
16 ) MANCHESTER TRADER
17 ) NICHOLAS BOWATER
18 ) PACIFIC STRONGHOLD
19 ) POLAMHALL
20 ) ROWANMORE
21 ) SANDRINGHAM QUEEN
22 ) SOUTHWARK
23 ) SS BRITISH GULL
24 ) SYRIAN PRINCE 1

He sailed to the USA - Canada - Japan to name but a few of the countries.

Migky  ;)

I'm a bit like Marmite

lozflan

« Reply #9 on: 19:27:14, 02/07/12 »
most if not all those,sailed from M/C.i did a trip onSTUART PRINCE.BUT I FIRST SAILED OUT OF LIVERPOOL ON HARRISON LINE AND CUNARD.. MC. LINERS WERE MY HAPPIEST SHIPS. IDID 3TRIPS ON PROSPECTOR ,    2 ON EXPLORER

Hovis St.

« Reply #10 on: 21:42:24, 02/07/12 »
Hi Alec, my husbands name was Norman Brown, and his Dad was John Teah Brown

Hi Bbabs,

The only Browns that I remember are Jimmy (Shalo) Brown, who was on the "Manchester Progress" and Charlie Brown who was on the "Uskmouth". I remember old Charlie smoked a pipe, a nice man. It is a long time ago, over 50 years.

Regards....Alec.

Hovis St.

« Reply #11 on: 22:03:44, 02/07/12 »
My father was in the merchant navy from 1956 to 1969.

He sailed to the USA - Canada - Japan to name but a few of the countries.

Migky  ;)

Hiya Migky,

What was your Dad's name, I may have known him.? I was in the MN from 1952 until 1989. I started in Birkenhead/Liverpool on Blue Funnel for four years then came to Manchester in 1956 and did ten years with M/C liners and other companies before moving to London and finished up in Dover on the ferries. I still live in Dover.

Regards....Alec Sheldon.

migky

« Reply #12 on: 22:25:02, 02/07/12 »
Hi Alex. i will PM you about my father tomorrow.
He sailed out of Manchester/Liverpool/Sunderland & London
We even moved between Manchester & Liverpool at times.

Migky ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

lozflan

« Reply #13 on: 11:39:04, 03/07/12 »
hello to all.my  first trip on the Spinner, thecaptain was ASKEW ,A GENT HE HAD EVERY ONE IN AT NEW YEAR FOR A WHISKY, i can remember it.  i did several trips on the prospector  the cptain was COOKSON ANOTHER GENT  WHEN I WENT ONTO THE  EXPLORER , HE WAS THERE ALSO.   WHEN I LOOKED UP THE LINERS REUNION RECENTLY HIS WIFE ONLY WAS IN ATTENDANCE. I DONT KNOW IF IT IS ALL OFFICERS I ALSO FOUND SOME STRANGE FACTS, ON ANOTHER SITE, THOSE 2 SHIPS WERE SOLD ON TO GREEKS   THE SPINNER HAD AN ENGINE ROOM EXPLOSION WITH LOSS OF LIFE, AND THE MERCHANT DISSAPEARED AT SEA.  can any one confirm.

Hovis St.

« Reply #14 on: 01:22:09, 05/07/12 »
Hiya lozflan,

I sailed with Capt. Askew on the "Manchester Port", a good skipper. I also sailed with Capt.Cookson on the "Manchester Fame" another nice man.
I am a menber of the Manchester Liners Old Shipmates Assoc., it is not only for officers. I don't see many of us AB's or Greasers there  though.
The "Spinner" was sold to the Greeks and renamed "Estia" in 1968. She sank whilst on a voyage from North Carolina to Brazil in 1971 after a violent engine room explosion with no loss of life.
The "Merchant" was sold to Liberia in 1967 and renamed "Clio". She caught fire off Angola on a voyage from India to Rotterdam, abandoned and presumed sunk.
All this is on the Manchester Liners web site.

Here is a photo of the "Spinner" sent to me by a St. Lawrence pilot a few years ago with permission to post.

Regards, Alec.