Author Topic: manchester liners  (Read 16539 times)

lozflan

Re: manchester liners
« Reply #15 on: 08:31:44, 05/07/12 »
hi bbabs isailed with a guy from stockport he had been on convoys to russia in war ihad to wake him at 5 am  by shaking his toe or he would hit the roof. those men had gone through hell.ithink he was on merchant.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

lozflan

« Reply #16 on: 10:02:13, 06/07/12 »
GREAT PIC. ONE OF THE SHIP SITES SAYS  PROSPECTOR AND EXPLORER SAME BUILD , AS YOU KNOW NOT SO. IWAS TOLD THE EXPLORER SPENT THE WAR SCUTTLED IN NORWAY. IF THATS NOT SO , THIS IS, BECAUSE I SAW IT, WE WENT INTO A SMALL CANADIAN HARBOUR [JUST A FEW HOUSES] TO CROSS THE SANDBAR, FRESH WATER WAS DUMPED [IN THEIR WISDOM] TO LIGHTEN SHIP, ONCE IN IT WAS FOUND THERE WAS NO FRESH WATER IN PORT, IT TOOK AGES BY SMALL LORRY TANKER, THEY ALSO LET GO A STEEL HAWSER AND GOT IT WRAPPED ROUND PROP   VERY INTERESTING 2 DAYS WATCHING DIVER COMPLETE WITH COPPER HELMET. TO FINISH ABOUT THE WATER,CUTTING COSTS, SALT WATER WAS ADDED TO BOILERS AND [censored] THEM UP , LUCKY TO GET HOME.                                               I WAS ON WATCH ON EXPLORER, STEAMING HOME, LAST TRIP, WHEN THERE WAS SUDDENLY DEATHLY QUIET, SHIP STARTS TO SLOW,ENGINEERS LOOKING ABOUT IN PUZZLEMENT, THE ENGINE WAS A 2 LEGGER[ VERY UNUSUALL] I JUST HAPPENED TO BE LOOKING AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME, TO SEE ONE LEG SHEER OFF  AT THE TOP .  SO POINTED IT OUT.  CLEVER ENGINEERS PATCHED IT UP     [NO SPARES] RESTARTED WITH DONKY ENGINE,, AGAIN LUCKY TO GET HOME.

Rocco Lewis

« Reply #17 on: 23:29:58, 22/03/17 »
Hi only just seen this about Manchester ship liners but I am Len hornbys grandson he is my dads dad  :) 

lozflan

« Reply #18 on: 07:52:38, 23/03/17 »
Hi Rocco and welcome. Having lost sight of this thread,thanks for posting.
I am hopeless on names,and looking back at posts, had not long started one finger typing,[still am].
A friend of mine ,just passed, could recall most shipmates of all his ships.

james short

« Reply #19 on: 14:40:37, 15/06/19 »
I’m trying to find old crew members that new my dad William Short “billy” that sailed with him in the early to mid 70s on the Manchester challenge/concord/crusade/? I no he mainly sailed to Canada I can’t remember the 4th boat but I no they were all the same class. Remember him taking us on the bridge boat house and we were totally fascinated as children would be. We always met him at the main entrance of the docks when he came home.

rovarch

Manchester liners
« Reply #20 on: 15:25:52, 27/09/19 »
i am interested in the SS Manchester Brigade, built 1918 and sank 26th September 1940. I have been trying desperately to locate the plans of this ship or of a ship of the same class.  From the plans I am hoping to build a 3D model. Tried the museums where she was built in Hartlepool, no luck. If anyone has any information or know where the plans can be found. I would be most grateful. Many thanks.

lozflan

« Reply #21 on: 12:23:07, 28/09/19 »
Good luck with your search. Looking up the "Brigade" was interesting. On Lloyds it looks like there is a sister ship,almost same tonnage and builder. The " Division" I think.
Engine room crew seems large compared to later ships,one Fireman Trimmer from Cheetham Hill,as am I.
Such a large loss of life,she must have gone down fast.
Recently I came across some vid. of the Richard Ley,with Hitler aboard. Hitler watching the U129? cruise alongside,which also sunk the first ship in the war.
Richard Ley was quickly changed from cruise liner to hospital ship at the start of hostilities.   To avoid being sunk ?.
U129 survived the war.

lozflan

« Reply #22 on: 15:24:28, 29/09/19 »
correction,it was U29 and it sunk the first warship HMS Courageous

MANUSPAT43

« Reply #23 on: 17:56:23, 20/09/20 »
Hi My Dad sailed on Manchester, Port, Progress and Mariner from 1961-64. His name is Manny and he was an EDH. Always telling us stories.

lozflan

« Reply #24 on: 11:01:35, 21/09/20 »
Hi Manusprat43
not many posters on this subject,but it seems many readers.
Possibly because the Liners moved South.
2 nice pics on page 1,maybe one day,more added.

Liam P

« Reply #25 on: 18:24:41, 02/04/23 »

Hi all,
A little late to this discussion so I apologise My Grandad sailed on the MANCHESTER FAME in June-July of 1970 to St Johns Newfoundland and Quebec, he gifted me the ships map signed by the Master T.B.Hancock

lozflan

« Reply #26 on: 08:06:39, 03/04/23 »
Hi Liam,a ship called Fame and a Canal that brought fame to Manchester.
Which is still busy at the Eastham end,tankers,cement carriers from Ireland,scrap metal etc.
Manchester/Salford end ,the water could be a tourist attraction,tour boats,why is'nt it?.

TillyF

« Reply #27 on: 10:42:10, 25/01/24 »
My grandfather was Superintendent for M/L at Salford having started as a Cadet in 1927, sailing on Brigade, Corporation, Merchant, Citizen, Exporter, Spinner, Producer and Division. My Dad also at sea with M/L from 1960 sailed on Trader, Explorer, Mariner, Commerce and Fame.

lozflan

« Reply #28 on: 16:36:10, 25/01/24 »
Hi Tilly, I did trips on Spinner,Merchant,Explorer,Regiment and Prospector.Untill Dec 60.

TillyF

« Reply #29 on: 17:03:05, 25/01/24 »
Ah my Dad wasn't on the Explorer until 1962, he was on the Trader until Dec 60.